Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lets talk manual valve bodies..

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Lets talk manual valve bodies..

My transmission **** on itself last Saturday on a local cruise. I've already talked to Performabuilt and am ready to have them get me a new lvl2 trans. I just found out that they can add a FMVB for an additional $299.

I have always toyed with the idea of doing this whenever I had to get a new trans but now I'm really not sure. The thought of having to down shift myself from a roll and not having to push in a clutch just doesn't seem right. But, it does seem nice to think anytime I want to knock it into another gear, there is no hesitation. I hope that some people can chime in and tell me how they like/dislike theirs and what some of the pros/cons are of having it.

A local performance store owner also told me that he had a Hurst Quarter stick shifter and assured me that it would fit on a factory 4l60, anyone know this for a fact??

Ryan
Old 09-29-2011, 09:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hated mine.. Having to shift/down shift all the time, especially in the city is a PITA!!

I always thought of it this way:

I have an automatic to go fast. I'm not more consistent then a computer telling the transmission when to shift. If you want the to bang gears, get a t56. If your want to be consistant AND fast, let the computer do what its designed to.

I would never pay more money to have to manually shift my automatic..
Old 09-30-2011, 06:18 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats a good way to put it. I have built many manual shift 60's. Of them there was only one guy who could shift it consistently, but he had been racing for many years. He was good at it.

The problem is that the 1/2 shift comes very quickly, especially if the car has any gear in it. I would recommend against a manual shift 60e. They are fun for about a week, then it gets old. If a 60e is built right you should be able to everything a manual unit can do but retain the automatic features.

Just my two cents buddy, hope it works out....

g
Old 09-30-2011, 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

The car has never seen the track, and may never will. I'm not out to impress anyone with my times or dyno numbers. I'm out to enjoy my car, and when I feel the need, to give myself a rush.

The car is a heads/cam car with 3.73 gears and the new trans with prob have a 36-4k stall. My old stall was 3500 but I think I will probably go just a little bigger.

The first post is the one that makes me wonder whether or not I would like the FMVB. I will street race on occasion, usually from a dig. But, there has been spots on the interstate when I need to take off. It seems like it could be a pain in the *** to have to reach down and pull it back to D to be in the power as opposed to letting the computer do it. But then again, it would be awesome to knock it into 2nd at any given time and let the power take me from one side of the road to the other.. I'm so torn.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:43 AM
Captain Double Post

you know i was wondering about this as well, i have some very bad back issues and it has gotten at times very hard for me to drive my car, its a m6,sometimes my leg on the clutch side just fails to work,or hurts to bad to move 24,7. im really thinking of swaping to a auto, i love to shift though,again i go to the track a few times a year and dont drive the car that much , so i dont think i would hate it, another question i have is with my big *** cam is it going to be more of a pita to drive then it all ready is with the t56,just need some info guys , sorry for the hijack but i thought this kinda fit the info you were looking for op.i also think the auto would help me at the track, it seems like with the t56 its just going to keep me in the 11s lol, now im not saying a t56 car cant go 10s but seems like it would be easier with a auto off a trans brake
Old 10-03-2011, 07:45 AM
Captain Double Post

again i have never been a auto guy so bare with me lol,again op sorry for the hijack just thought i could get a lil bit of info i need that might help you out and not start another auto newbie thread lol
Old 10-03-2011, 09:03 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would suggest you stay away from a fmvb if you are even on the torn edge of a decision....
It's a yes or no kind of thing.... And you need to be certain about it.

You could always do a hybrid transmission setup...
Built 4l80e, with the Powertrain Control Solutions trans controller or the TCI ez-tcu
Then you can be full auto when you want, and with the flip of a switch you can be manually shifting via steering wheel paddles or buttons on the *******..

There are several other options for a trans you can do this with...but not all will be as simple for your budget...
TCI 6x is a great option(my personal favorite)... But it does come with a slightly higher price tag...
Old 10-03-2011, 09:05 AM
8 Second Club

There's also always the option of an expensive hydraulic/electric shifted fmvb trans setup....but it gets real pricey, real quick
Old 10-03-2011, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree if u want to bang gears go with stick otherwise stick with full auto,my performabuilt level two feels great on shifts under full throttle!
Old 10-03-2011, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bmf5150
I agree if u want to bang gears go with stick otherwise stick with full auto,my performabuilt level two feels great on shifts under full throttle!
While we are on the subject of the lvl2 from PB, would it be hard to manual shift the transmission occasionally? I know its kinda pointless to do since the computer is shifting, but the 1-2 shifts and the occasional 2-3 shifts can be held longer especially when the car is spinning and your not quite ready for the next gear yet..
Old 10-03-2011, 07:22 PM
TECH Regular

i like manual valve bodies, just not Forward manual valve bodys. There will be a time you go into neutral and rev the hell out of it on accident.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:50 AM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

The shifters nowadays are pretty much bullet proof so there is no need to build a reverse pattern valve body. If you have an engine going away or seizing up, you have to bdownshift through the gears to find neutral and that could be very dangerous. The only reason the reverse pattern valve bodies were made was because of the early shifters were not very good. The shifters have been very good now for well over 30 years. I will not build a reverse pattern valve body for the above reasons.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:00 AM
8 Second Club

If you get a good shifter with the proper gate.... It will have a stop to keep you from accidentally putting it into neutral...
Old 10-05-2011, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

With a Hurst quarter stick or B&M Ratchet on a FMVB, how hard will it be to find neutral?? Are these shifters like a "slap" style shifter? I know they have a reverse lockout which is great, but is neutral just like it is with the factory shifter?