Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

blew the tranny:(

Old 09-30-2011, 12:45 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blew the tranny:(

i blew my t-56 the other day. well, i actually snapped the main shaft. how? idk...its absolutly brutal though. the point of the post? i need a new tranny. any recommended sites? types? i only have 2k to spend and its on a cc. so i cant pull off a private deal. ill still take offers though to see whats available.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:51 PM
Staging Lane

Try www.car-part.com and find a local junkyard.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:34 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Buy your mainshaft from a place you'll find at the top of a google search for "The Gear Box". I was charged $340 for a part that costs $110...I was extremely pissed when I found this site and saw the prices. The company that did my trans is not a sponsor, nor would I suggest them to anyone who actually wants a simple rebuild kit done in less than two months....haha

Anyway, look on the right side of the screen and you'll find a bunch of transmission rebuild guys. Your options are to rebuild it back to stock, or take advantage of having the trans apart and beef that sucker up. Some of the companies will ship you a kit so you can have your trans done locally, while others require you to ship it out to them. I don't want to suggest any one company over another, but you'll find they're all good at what they do. Search their names on the forum one-by-one and make your decision that way if you're not finding the answers you're looking for here.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 10-04-2011, 10:39 AM
Staging Lane

bmr, thanks for the help. ive called every junk yard around and all i found was an ls6/t56 combo for 5500 out of a cts-v(SO tempted) but that just shoots my budget to crap... ill do some research tonight and get back to you with any other questions
Old 10-04-2011, 10:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Here you go, They are a sponsor on here and there customer service is top notch.
http://www.texasdrivetrainperformance.com/t56.html
Old 10-04-2011, 10:53 AM
Staging Lane

heres an update. turns out my tranny is completly wiped. pretty much the only things i dont need are the rear counter and the output shaft. i found a remaned gearbox from a local tremec dealer for 2600. can with stand about 650lbs. which im nowhere near anyway. any opinions? are tremec remans trust worthy? is that decent pricing?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: blew the tranny:(