Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 keyway adjustable crank gear ??? hmmm...

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 01:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 3 keyway adjustable crank gear ??? hmmm...

i want to adjust the timing on my cam. i have a pro gear 3 keyway adjustable crank sprocket. HOW DOES IT WORK??? i installed the crank sprocket so it would be dot to dot. now i would like to advance the cam, so do i have to take the crank gear off and put it in a differnt keyway? but if i do that it would not change the orientation of the cam. so do i just take the cam gear off rotate the crank till the 2* advance tooth is strait up then install the cam gear (6 o'clock) to the 2* advance tooth on the crank gear that is now at 12 o'clock? i hope this makes sense
Old 09-30-2011, 09:27 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

You install the crank gear for a different keyway. Changing the cam timing changes the "orientation" of the cam in respect to TDC.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KCS
You install the crank gear for a different keyway. Changing the cam timing changes the "orientation" of the cam in respect to TDC.
makes sense to me.... just to make 100% clean,,, i rotate the crank to the desired advance and then line up the 0* dot on the cam gear @ 6:00. correct?
Old 09-30-2011, 01:40 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdCoastPowerSports
makes sense to me.... just to make 100% clean,,, i rotate the crank to the desired advance and then line up the 0* dot on the cam gear @ 6:00. correct?
The crank gear should have an advance and a retard slot, probably for 2 degrees either way. Pull the gear and put it back on with the keyway in the slot that advances the cam (should say +2), and rotate the cam gear to line that up with the dot on the crank gear.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KCS
The crank gear should have an advance and a retard slot, probably for 2 degrees either way. Pull the gear and put it back on with the keyway in the slot that advances the cam (should say +2), and rotate the cam gear to line that up with the dot on the crank gear.
i pulled the crank gear off and moved the gear so the key way was going in the 4A slot on the face of the gear (its a 6 key way gear not 3). now which dot on the crank gear do i line up with the dot on the cam gear that is at 6 o'clock. do i use the dot to the left of the 4A on the key way or do i use the dot to the right of the 4A on the key way?

Quick Reply: 3 keyway adjustable crank gear ??? hmmm...