New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'98 camaro 6spd I can't shift for crap!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 09:08 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '98 camaro 6spd I can't shift for crap!

Just got my black '98 camaro z28 6spd, 116k on it. has t-tops white leather, 18" aftermarket wheels, flowmaster exhaust which isnt nearly loud enough and will be tossed next spring. Anways i bought it and i plan on storing it away for the winter already but i cant help myself and i take it out for a quick run or two down the road. i "try to do a few almost full throttle runs and i cant even get her past 2nd without reving it, i just suck at shifting. I had a '95 camaro z28 but that was a auto soo i'm use to that. It takes me almost 2 mins to get into reverse, the 6speed is all new too me, but i always wanted a t-56 equipped fbody.

Soo what should my first mods be ? shift eliminator ? or should i get one of those basic mail order tunes ? I'm the type the will still stick to a mail order tune even if i have heads cam full bolt ons, i understand i wont get the full 100% potentiel out of the mods but for one i dont understand and wont try to understand tunning it myself, and i live in a state where nobody around does tunning and i dont like to travel. I'm new to ls1's and 6 speeds. I know 4.10's and drag radials will be in the near future. Do these ls1's have cai's ? The airbox system looks like a ram air design. ohh and i was thinking about getting one of those shifter kits, like the hurst kit?, i guess its lower and it improves shifting soo i wont miss a gear as often and i love the classic white hurst ball.

Sorry if i sound like a knuckle head talking here, i'm real tired.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:17 PM
Staging Lane

Your 1st mod should be a LID or CAI, preferably the lid bc its cheaper and it gives you about the same gains, and no these cars are not equipped with cai from factory...Good Luck on the shifting practice makes perfect is all i can say!
Old 09-30-2011, 09:23 PM
Launching!

Someone mentioned drill mod & bleed the hydraulics for the clutch ?
Old 09-30-2011, 09:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like u need to learn how to drive before ya start to mod
Old 09-30-2011, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

1st Mod? Lid & MAF.

As stated before, practice. It's the only way. You'll get the hang of it eventually. I had a 92 Silverado with a 5 speed. Fun Truck. Reverse killed me there for a while.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

yeah just keep driving it around till you are compfortable with shifting. i went from an auto impala to this LS1 M6. huge change. just drive it. mod next yr. lid,free mods, exhaust, THEN CAM
Old 09-30-2011, 10:09 PM
Launching!

Yeah i defently need to just drive around normally first, but that wont be till spring. Yeah i want to do full bolt ons plus gears 4.10's and LE2 cam and heads by next summer.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey ryan , good to see you also over here in ls1 f body world lol

look into the tick adjustable master cylinder - thats the advice I got when I asked a similar question recently... it will be a winter project for me also
Old 10-01-2011, 07:42 AM
Launching!

Hey how have you been ? And thanks. Does that '00 camaro really have almost 230k on it ?
Old 10-01-2011, 08:06 AM
TECH Resident

The skip shift was the absolute FIRST thing I did to my first Z28. It was terrible driving with it. Having said that, it usually doesn't kick in until the car is warmed up so if you're having problems from the start, it may be something else. I'd get the skip shift instead of tuning it out because you'll have to get another tune if you make any engine mods and you can resell the skip shift.

I'm amazed at how many people have never had a manual car - my father MADE me learn how to drive one as soon as I got my license but that was eons ago. One other good thing about a stick is that a lot of thieves pass them up 'cause they can't drive them.

As far as first mods, the biggest bang for the buck is getting rid of the stock DeCarbon shocks and getting Bilsteins. A lot of folks go with engine mods but good shocks will be noticed at every speed. Everyone talks about lids, but frankly on a stock motor, I really didn't notice much butt-dyno difference and the fit on some of them are terrible.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Get a Prothane Transmission Mount . It will help you shift better. the stock ones are crap.

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...mission-mount/
Old 10-01-2011, 10:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The stock shifter is crap. Get yourself a MGW, you'll be happy you did.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Be gentle with the clutch, I learned with an experienced 6 speed driver on my passenger side telling me, another thing is that you don't have to push the clutch all the way in. Learn how to drive it first, then start modding.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by CoastieWS6
Get a Prothane Transmission Mount . It will help you shift better. the stock ones are crap.

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...mission-mount/
the T56 6speed is a crappy transmission??
Old 10-01-2011, 06:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ryangtp89
Just got my black '98 camaro z28 6spd, 116k on it. has t-tops white leather, 18" aftermarket wheels, flowmaster exhaust which isnt nearly loud enough and will be tossed next spring. Anways i bought it and i plan on storing it away for the winter already but i cant help myself and i take it out for a quick run or two down the road. i "try to do a few almost full throttle runs and i cant even get her past 2nd without reving it, i just suck at shifting. I had a '95 camaro z28 but that was a auto soo i'm use to that. It takes me almost 2 mins to get into reverse, the 6speed is all new too me, but i always wanted a t-56 equipped fbody.

Soo what should my first mods be ? shift eliminator ? or should i get one of those basic mail order tunes ? I'm the type the will still stick to a mail order tune even if i have heads cam full bolt ons, i understand i wont get the full 100% potentiel out of the mods but for one i dont understand and wont try to understand tunning it myself, and i live in a state where nobody around does tunning and i dont like to travel. I'm new to ls1's and 6 speeds. I know 4.10's and drag radials will be in the near future. Do these ls1's have cai's ? The airbox system looks like a ram air design. ohh and i was thinking about getting one of those shifter kits, like the hurst kit?, i guess its lower and it improves shifting soo i wont miss a gear as often and i love the classic white hurst ball.

Sorry if i sound like a knuckle head talking here, i'm real tired.
I have the Tick adjustable master and a Monster level II clutch and it is a major upgrade over the stock clutch setup. You can't drive the car to it's full potential until you get past the crappy stock clutch and the skip shift.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:37 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mike.warrenws6
he said transmission mount
Old 10-01-2011, 08:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mike.warrenws6
No thats not what was meant, he was referring to the stock trans mount being shitty. However you can do a search on poly trans mount & you wont find too many that liked it. I had one in mine, but because its so solid it transmits vibration badly & IMO unbearable after 1 day of driving with it & have been running the stock rubber mount for over 3 years. So the stock mount is actually ok. The T56 is a great trans though & will handle a lot of power & abuse, as long as the hydraulics & clutch are in good working order.

As far as first mods go, air lid(7whp), LT headers(preferrably non emissions version, about 20 whp no matter what brand you buy), LS6 intake(about 15 whp) better shifter(Pro 5.0 or a MGW are some very good ones) because you will miss shifts with the stock one cuz it has a rubber bushing, drag radials are all good first mods. Some other good mods are torque arms, subframe connectors, Tick master cyl., better clutch, line lock(makes it easy to do burnouts with the M6) & aftermarket cam. The list is unlimited but I would say these are very popular mods.

Since you have an M6 I do not recommend having a PCM tune done on a stock car, it will not gain you much, if anything.

Last edited by flintwrench69; 10-01-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:17 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ryangtp89
Hey how have you been ? And thanks. Does that '00 camaro really have almost 230k on it ?
yes and it is pretty damn close to mint in out and underneath - people assume its a very low miles car lol , the 98 is not nearly as nice but still decent.

Dont worry I am still into supercharged w bodies also got about a dozen of them currently along with some older muscle stuff so yes all is well lol
Old 10-04-2011, 02:06 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Stock clutches & master cylinders seem to shift worse and worse over time. Check out some of the videos of guys using our Tick Performance Adjustable Clutch Master Cylinder here: http://www.tickperformance.com/tick-...or-ls1-f-body/

We offer that master in combination with Monster Clutches to provide you with a COMPLETE Clutch Swap Package that includes everything you need to replace/upgrade during a clutch install, here: http://www.tickperformance.com/ls1-f...-swap-package/

Quick Reply: '98 camaro 6spd I can't shift for crap!