Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Air pump problem??exhaust smell in car??

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 09:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Air pump problem??exhaust smell in car??

Hi Everyone,we just purchased GM service manuals for our "99"SS Camaro cant seem to figure the problem out.....

We purchased the car back in feb and have noticed a strong exhaust smell when the car is running.Its the kind of smell that burns your eyes and nose and blows through the vents as well if the heat is on.
I guess it would be the same smell as if you ran the car in a closed garage for a while(thats what you smell in the car though)

we were thinking maybe its the air pump under the drivers side headlight area for a few reasons.... the car has the K&N fipk. We thought there should be an air hose tied into it(or filter)but realised that was not for the "98-99"

It looks like on the air pump there are maybe 2 open hoses going to nothing?

our friend had an 2002 SS and when he would start it you would hear that whining or whistling sound for a minute or 2 and then it would stop.After research on here everyone said that was the air pump.

You do not here that sound with our car.We cant find the routing even in the GM manuals.and my husband would like to fix the problem himself if possible especially since the car isnt on the road.I forgot to mention there is NO check engine lights either.Any help given would be greatly appreciated.Thanks everyone!!Jennifer

Last edited by jenfred10; 10-01-2011 at 11:29 AM.