Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

241 head build questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 01:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 241 head build questions

I'm having my 241's ported and flowed soon. Also going to have a valve job done while they're off. I plan on putting in a good set of manley exhaust and intake valves. What I'm wondering is, for the valve job what size should I have him make the seats for? How much is too big or small? Or should I just stick with stock sized valves?
Old 10-01-2011, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

if you go with larger valves on 241 heads make sure you enshroud the chamber or larger valves might actually hurt your flow numbers
Old 10-01-2011, 05:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 3rdCoastPowerSports
if you go with larger valves on 241 heads make sure you enshroud the chamber or larger valves might actually hurt your flow numbers
Would that be something the porter would have to do? Not sure what that means exactly, I'm not really an expert with it all hence the questions lol.
With doing that would I be better off? Or is it not worth the time and money?
Old 10-01-2011, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MYSLOWS6
Would that be something the porter would have to do? Not sure what that means exactly, I'm not really an expert with it all hence the questions lol.
With doing that would I be better off? Or is it not worth the time and money?
yes that would be something the porter would take care of, but you would want to advise him that you are putting in larger valves. A good port job and a Good valve job on the 241 heads will net you rather substantial gains. The heads must be ported correctly though. As far as is it worth it,,,, well that all depends on how much its all going cost... not sure how much your porter is going to charge you but a good VJ cost about $150 not to mention decking the heads $50 or so
Old 10-01-2011, 06:18 PM
Teching In

yes that would be something the porter would take care of, but you would want to advise him that you are putting in larger valves. A good port job and a Good valve job on the 241 heads will net you rather substantial gains. The heads must be ported correctly though. As far as is it worth it,,,, well that all depends on how much its all going cost... not sure how much your porter is going to charge you but a good VJ cost about $150 not to mention decking the heads $50 or so
Thanks for the info.
Now as to how big the valves can be without any problems?
I know they make up to 2.08 and 1.6.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

with the stock seats you can go as big as 2.02 intake and i believe 1.60 exhaust (i think you can go bigger on the intake like 2.05 but anything after 2.02 ive heard causes seating issues. honestly i would keep the stock valves and have them backcut, have the heads ported, decked and get a good performance valve job.... why do you want such big valves anyway? often times in engines bigger is not better, you want everything to match (i.e. heads, cam, intake, ect...)
Old 10-01-2011, 08:17 PM
Teching In

with the stock seats you can go as big as 2.02 intake and i believe 1.60 exhaust (i think you can go bigger on the intake like 2.05 but anything after 2.02 ive heard causes seating issues. honestly i would keep the stock valves and have them backcut, have the heads ported, decked and get a good performance valve job.... why do you want such big valves anyway? often times in engines bigger is not better, you want everything to match (i.e. heads, cam, intake, ect...)
I plan on eventually doing a stroker bottom end and cam with it. Just looking to push the 241's as far as I can.

The heads will be flow tested after the valve and port job and I'm going to have a custom ground cam spec'd to match

Last edited by MYSLOWS6; 10-01-2011 at 08:46 PM.

Quick Reply: 241 head build questions