Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Mesh/grill front "bird" filler???

Old 10-03-2011, 06:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mesh/grill front "bird" filler???

Is there a front license plate grill/mesh insert to cover the hole made in the front bumper cover to let air flow to a single front mounted intercooler for a Procharger (more efficient than the small twin intercoolers). I have seen pictures of nice silver grill or mesh inserts and one pic of a black mesh insert. Are these custom made or are they for sale online? The black mesh would be perfect for my black 98 TA. But, I could deal with the silver grill or mesh as well. The pics I have seen look like the front "bird" filler was cut out along the edges and a grill or mesh was incorporated so that the filler plate could be re-installed and still allow air to flow throug the hole made behind it in the bumper cover cut-out. Otherwise, the intercooler is visible through the hole without the grill or mesh insert covering the hole. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Old 10-03-2011, 10:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by man2004
Is there a front license plate grill/mesh insert to cover the hole made in the front bumper cover to let air flow to a single front mounted intercooler for a Procharger (more efficient than the small twin intercoolers). I have seen pictures of nice silver grill or mesh inserts and one pic of a black mesh insert. Are these custom made or are they for sale online? The black mesh would be perfect for my black 98 TA. But, I could deal with the silver grill or mesh as well. The pics I have seen look like the front "bird" filler was cut out along the edges and a grill or mesh was incorporated so that the filler plate could be re-installed and still allow air to flow throug the hole made behind it in the bumper cover cut-out. Otherwise, the intercooler is visible through the hole without the grill or mesh insert covering the hole. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
From what I recall, nobody sells these for Firebirds. To make one yourself, cut your filler plate, run to Ikea, get a mesh garbage can/file folder, cut it to size then glue/tape it to the back of the filler plate.

Voila - have fun!
Old 10-03-2011, 10:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One of the mechanics at the old TTP used to have one on his turbo C5. It looked alright.

Here's one on a 'bird I have saved on my computer. The owner is "SLowETz." I would try PM'ing him and hoping for a response (however, it looks like he hasn't logged on in about 3 months or so) or maybe someone will recognize the piece in the picture & give you a name.

The more popular option is:
Old 10-04-2011, 02:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Spd-Kilz
From what I recall, nobody sells these for Firebirds. To make one yourself, cut your filler plate, run to Ikea, get a mesh garbage can/file folder, cut it to size then glue/tape it to the back of the filler plate.

Voila - have fun!
I like this idea! Thanks!
Old 10-04-2011, 02:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jersey Mike
One of the mechanics at the old TTP used to have one on his turbo C5. It looked alright.

Here's one on a 'bird I have saved on my computer. The owner is "SLowETz." I would try PM'ing him and hoping for a response (however, it looks like he hasn't logged on in about 3 months or so) or maybe someone will recognize the piece in the picture & give you a name.

The more popular option is:
That insert looks pretty slick! The intercooler look in the lower pic looks OK on a silver car. But, IMO it would look too unfinished on a black WS6.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:44 PM
On The Tree

those look awesome
Old 10-05-2011, 03:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by olskoolLT1
those look awesome
I definitely want to make that mesh insert for my black WS6. I also want to find the body kit ground effect trim for under the bumper cover too! I have seen pics of a black WS6 with the nostril's mesh, the mesh insert, and the ground effect with mesh all painted silver. It looks pretty sweet and still functional for the Procharger intercooler.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:34 PM
On The Tree

IMO this is the ideal appearance for my future set-up (I am planning a 408 stroker with procharger and front mounted intercooler) on the black WS6 convertible. Does anybody know where I can order the front bumper cover lower ground effect?

Old 10-05-2011, 04:35 PM
On The Tree

Old 10-05-2011, 04:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can make those...
Old 10-09-2011, 10:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Honestly, just keep PM'ing owners & asking on different forums. Posting pictures of particular cars will help people recognize who's car it is & help you get in touch w/ the owners or find out the answer to where you can buy one.

Here's another one
http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=75427
Old 10-10-2011, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by man2004
I definitely want to make that mesh insert for my black WS6. I also want to find the body kit ground effect trim for under the bumper cover too! I have seen pics of a black WS6 with the nostril's mesh, the mesh insert, and the ground effect with mesh all painted silver. It looks pretty sweet and still functional for the Procharger intercooler.
Hell yeah I want that! Seeing that pic you posted of whoever's car that was is SICK! I want that lower trim with the mess... Like BAD!!!
Old 10-10-2011, 08:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I really like the clean look of the cover on that black car.

I'd probably paint the mesh black to blend in, but I can completely see why he didn't.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ANTICOP RAM AIR
I can make those...
Of course you can. Lol

What can you not make?
Old 10-10-2011, 10:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lemons12
Of course you can. Lol

What can you not make?
Babies.... I got fixed.. woooohoooo!!!!
Old 10-10-2011, 10:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thank god.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mesh/grill front "bird" filler???