Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

'99 Z28 - Panhard Bar/Trailing Arm Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 07:40 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default '99 Z28 - Panhard Bar/Trailing Arm Replacement

I need to replace the rear suspension and I'm planning to buy new trailing arms, panhard bar and sway bar bushings.

I see that I can either buy stock replacements or I can buy adjustable replacements. What is the advantage of the adjustable ones over the stock ones? I daily drive this car, it has approx 225k miles on it and I want to continue driving it daily for the next couple of years.

For those of you who have done this work already, is there a specific order in which I have to replace these items? How hard to do is this? Initially, I anticipate setting the car up on jack stands with the rear axle hanging on a floor jack. Is it really as simple as unbolting the old ones and bolting in the new ones? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Bill
Old 10-04-2011, 07:21 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello Bill,

For a daily driver seeing that many miles I recommend non-adjustable items with polyurethane bushings. Adjustable control arms are only used to center aftermarket rear ends in the wheel well or make room for larger tires. The panhard bar control arms the rear end side to side. An adjustable panhard bar would be needed to center the rear end if the car is lowered or you plan on lowering it.

The install is very basic, we recommend to install one item at a time. Do not remove both control arms and panhard at the same time. This makes the install very difficult.

Below is a link to the basic kit we have to offer, please take a look and let me know if you have any questions:

www.umiperformance.com/201520

Thank you!
Ryan
Old 10-04-2011, 07:35 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the response, Ryan. I was looking at that kit from another vendor ... it's good to know that I can order directly from UMI.

The write up along with that kit indicates that I can reuse all of the factory mounting hardware. Is that correct, or do I need to buy new hardware?

You mention replacing one piece at a time. Do I support the body on jackstands and let the rear end float on a jack, or support the rear end on jack stands so that there is no movement when I remove the parts?

Thanks

Bill
Old 10-04-2011, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

non-adjustable UMI stuff is more than fine

Put the body on jack stands, let the rear hang, and you should be able to swap out all three in under an hour with hand tools
Old 10-05-2011, 05:21 AM
Launching!

Sounds good. Thanks guys.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:37 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VinR1
non-adjustable UMI stuff is more than fine

Put the body on jack stands, let the rear hang, and you should be able to swap out all three in under an hour with hand tools
Yes, this is correct. Place the jack stands under the body of the car and use the jack to support the rear end. Install one component at a time to prevent the rear end from moving all over the place. New hardware is optional and your stock hardware will work just fine.

I hope this helps!
Ryan
Old 10-05-2011, 06:59 PM
Launching!

Thanks Ryan. I'll have an order placed for the kit above by the end of the week.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:15 PM
Launching!

So my new UMI trailing arms and panhard bar were delivered on Saturday morning. I installed them all today. I was somewhat skeptical that the install would be as easy as everyone indicated, but it was. The parts included pretty straightforward installation instructions that were well written. I spent a couple of hours on the install ... it would have gone faster if I hadn't stopped for a cup of coffee and if I hadn't spent time cleaning the underside.

I still need to replace the rear sway bar links, and then I'll move to the front with replacing the the front bushings.

Thanks

Bill

Quick Reply: '99 Z28 - Panhard Bar/Trailing Arm Replacement