Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

4-Link rear suspension. Need a little help

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 12:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 4-Link rear suspension. Need a little help

I知 thinking of putting in a 4-link setup on my 4th gen Camaro when I install my 8.8 rear. I知 going to be reusing the existing lower-control arm mounts on the car. Now I just need to figure out where to mount the upper control arms. I know the upper control arms need to be positioned at a 45 degree angle but the metal around or near the tunnel is pretty thin. I don稚 want to back-half the car or chop it all up. So before I start hacking and wacking the car, does anyone have any pictures of their 4-link suspension? No latter bar setups please. I知 looking for 4-link setups only.

I've looked at a few posts here but the only ones I've seen her back-halfed cars.

Thanks guys.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 147 Likes on 118 Posts

Are you trying to put together a triangulated or parallel 4 link? Another member on here has done a parallel with a watts for centering. Ls1tech handle: "Turnin20s"

Old 10-04-2011, 03:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was thinking of mounting the upper arms very similar to the way they are mounted in the pic. My only concern was there being to lil metal in that area and it not being strong enough. This car will be being 1.3 60ft times.

I want to do a triangulated 4 link. The lower arms will be parallel and the upper arms will be triangulated @ 45 degrees. This will eleminate the need for a panhard bar.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 147 Likes on 118 Posts

I can't help you there, not into drag racing. This is the build thread

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...ld-thread.html

Since the upper arms in both types of four links take up the torque reaction and braking forces there should be a good deal of similarity. The exception is that you are adding side loading forces as well.

I'd find out from him what else he did besides the plates he added, and what he's using the car for.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks man. I appreciate your help.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im gonna jump in here on your thread in hopes we can both grab some good info. My platform is different, BUT we are both after the same thing and have the same issues.

My question is, is their an IDEAL length for the upper control arms if the bottom are parallel and the uppers are at a 45*??

EDIT: OP sorry, if this is inappropriate, ill be glad to start my own thread, as i have more questions concerning setup as well.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny
I was thinking of mounting the upper arms very similar to the way they are mounted in the pic. My only concern was there being to little metal in that area and it not being strong enough. This car will be being 1.3 60ft times.

I want to do a triangulated 4 link. The lower arms will be parallel and the upper arms will be triangulated @ 45 degrees. This will eleminate the need for a panhard bar.
I agree that the floor pan wasn't designed to be a mounting point for a suspension mounting point. However, assuming that this is a "race only" car, you most likely will have a roll cage in the car, so you could drop a "u" off the backside of the main hoop of the cage, and attach it to the floor, where your upper trailing links will be located, feeding the force into the cage....

Quick Reply: 4-Link rear suspension. Need a little help