Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lock up not working

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 07:47 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default lock up not working

i picked up a used performabuilt level 2 trans and fti billet 9.5" lock up converter. got a good deal on them. the previous owner told me the lock up never worked but it didn't bother him so he didn't worry about it. the combo has about 4000 miles on it.

i love the fast/firm shifts and the converter seems about right for me. drives fine but i can still flash it to over 3000rpm before the car moves. something like 80rpm slip at 70mph so the lack of lock up isn't a big deal but i am still curious what the problem might be.

i was hoping the lock up problem was just the tcc noid. i put a new one in and while i was there i checked the wiring by commanding lock up with hptuners. it had 12volts across the wires when commanded on.

i am 99% sure the wiring is good and the noid is good. there was nothing like a double oring in there. looking up in the hole when the tcc noid is out i could see the hole at the top was about 80% covered with the edge of something round. i give it a light poke and it was solid whatever it was.

any ideas on what the problem might be. maybe it just isn't a lock up converter. i might have to call fti and see if they have a record of what they built. other than that any ideas?
Old 10-04-2011, 08:21 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a valve behind that retainer the retainer plate with the hole in it that you referred to, you should be able to stroke that valve with a pick or small pointed device. Maybe that valve has debris on it and it's stuck.

g
Old 10-05-2011, 05:43 PM
single digit dreamer

i did push on that valve just a little and it moved.

i will give fti a call and see if they can look up this converter. maybe it isn't even a lock up converter.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:38 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Also did you check that the oring was on the input shaft before you installed the unit?

Call 888-744-6542

Old 10-05-2011, 07:07 PM
single digit dreamer

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Also did you check that the oring was on the input shaft before you installed the unit?
i did not. i never pulled the converter out of the transmisson. took the whole thing out and put it right in my car.

if that oring is missing will it effect anything else or just the lock up?

if i find out for sure it is suppose to be a lock up converter and we are assuming the noid and wiring is good what would you say the liklyhood is of it being that oring vs some other problem? if there is almost no other way for it to not work then i will pull it apart and check that oring but if it is just one of many possible problems then i will likely just drive it until have a reason to take it apart.

thanks for the help!
Old 10-05-2011, 09:36 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

No the oring should cause no other issue as long as you keep the trans cool with a big cooler . Its obviouss someone has tuned it to be ok without the converter since you didnt mention setting a code.
Frank

Call 888-744-6542

Old 10-05-2011, 09:42 PM
single digit dreamer

it is likely setting a code. i dont even have a check engine light.

i do have a good cooler.