Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring help.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wiring help.....

Ok I am putting a LS6/4L60E into a 1979 Malibu. I am wanting to know what part of the factory harness do I need to keep? What can I cut out, and what do I need to leave like the starter, alt. etc.......

I had a local shop go through my engine harness, I know that the LS harness has the starter and alt. Just need to know where to start on the wiring.

Tim.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:10 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

79 should be a standard non cc carb so theres not much wiring to remove. Off the top of my head I know you can remove the alternator wire (provided your controlling the alt with the LS1 PCM). You can also remove the choke wire. You will need to keep the starter wire, coil wire, main power wires into the car, and I kept my gauge wires.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:33 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by G-Body
79 should be a standard non cc carb so theres not much wiring to remove. Off the top of my head I know you can remove the alternator wire (provided your controlling the alt with the LS1 PCM). You can also remove the choke wire. You will need to keep the starter wire, coil wire, main power wires into the car, and I kept my gauge wires.
agreed with above, I just modified my LS1 harness and am almost ready to swap my motor... anyhow, I am using some of the signal outputs, from the LS1 brain, to feed my gauges, but I have dakota digitals and its supposed to be compatible... we will see... as far as my stock car harness, i ripped the computer out a while ago and there isnt much to delete as you have already stated...

my thread is in my sig... i will start a thread on this forum when i get into the motor swap/turbo/etc...
Old 10-05-2011, 01:46 AM
11 Second Club

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

I re-wired everything and used Gauges from a 95 Camaro Z28.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:38 AM
On The Tree

I am switching to after market gauges, I am using the computer to controll the fans and fuel pump, altenator and gauges.

Tim.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Then remove any wire that has to do with the original engine in the car. Except for: Starter solenoid control wire (purple wire most likely). The rest will be controlled by the PCM and the body harness shouldn't be messed with so all the lights and other thing still work. Unless you are wanting to remove any wires not needed.

Like me, I removed the seat belt, brake light, chime module, door speaker, HVAC, and much more out of my car. It's weight savings, and also helps out if a short happens as there aren't as many wires to worry about.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:08 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep track and label all the existing gauge Power wiring.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:33 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bjamick
Then remove any wire that has to do with the original engine in the car. Except for: Starter solenoid control wire (purple wire most likely). The rest will be controlled by the PCM and the body harness shouldn't be messed with so all the lights and other thing still work.
The starter is a purple wire, but you also have to keep the 2 red wires that went to the main post on the starter as they supply power for the rest of the car.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:47 AM
On The Tree

Alright thanks guys.

Now what about the A/C system do I need to use my factory wires for that? This is going to be added later as I dont have a A/C pump just yet, but the car will have A/C.

And I will also be looking for wiring in cruise control, but that is way later down the line.

Tim.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by t72ss402
Alright thanks guys.

Now what about the A/C system do I need to use my factory wires for that? This is going to be added later as I dont have a A/C pump just yet, but the car will have A/C.

And I will also be looking for wiring in cruise control, but that is way later down the line.

Tim.
you should be able to wire in your ac stuff using the new/ls1 harness...
but you may have to get a different controller, like the dakota digital one, at least thats what i was going to do until i got rid of my ac stuff...

Quick Reply: Wiring help.....