Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

c5 brake conversion

Old 10-05-2011, 09:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default c5 brake conversion

having a hard time tracking down parts for my brake conversion. i have the calipers minus the abutment brackets, sliders, mounting hardware, banjo bolts, guide pins and boots. went to gm to try to get parts and they wanted a vin number so i can order, they also would not give me the part numbers. that really ticked me off. having a really bad time trying to source these parts. any help is apperciated and i need this head ache gone. if anyone has these parts i do have paypal.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:19 PM
Teching In

or will parts off the LS calipers fit on these?
Old 10-05-2011, 05:05 PM
Teching In

any and all help is apperciated. somone has to know the part numbers...
Old 10-06-2011, 08:09 AM
TECH Addict

the site isnt working for some reason right now.....but try later. go to frrax.com, and search around the brake section. im fairly sure there is a complete part list for a C5 conversion.

or, go to rockauto.com, plug in an 02 vette with standard brakes, and get the numbers off there.

i think the only things compatible are the slide pins, their rubber boots, and caliper bolts. if youre swapping everything, you might as well get everything brand new. no sense in using half used parts and half new.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:46 PM
On The Tree

Parts number list is a sticky in the Brake Tech section of frrax.com.

Although I think the length may be slightly different the threads are the same on the f-body and vette banjo bolts. I reused mine.

RockAuto is a good source. There's also at least one GM Dealership that has online ordering that I used when I sourced the parts for my upgrade... can't remember them off the top of my head. If I can find my receipt and/or relocate the website I'll post back. They're where I got my calipers & abutment brackets.

You'll probably need longer brake lines as well (stock corvette which is longer than stock f-body). I originally bought some Russell stainless lines, but the portion that mounted to the caliper was round in shape which doesn't provide any support to keep the line from rotating when final torquing the banjo bolt to the caliper. Trying to keep the line from rotating without bending the solid portion of it while torquing it was difficult. I picked up a set of new stainless lines from trackbird (on this site and frrax) that has a square head on the caliper end. This allows the line to support itself against the caliper when torquing. Other manufacturers may have lines with square heads as well, just check for it.

So which conversion brackets are you using for the calipers?

Mark.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:15 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mark2002
Parts number list is a sticky in the Brake Tech section of frrax.com.

Although I think the length may be slightly different the threads are the same on the f-body and vette banjo bolts. I reused mine.

RockAuto is a good source. There's also at least one GM Dealership that has online ordering that I used when I sourced the parts for my upgrade... can't remember them off the top of my head. If I can find my receipt and/or relocate the website I'll post back. They're where I got my calipers & abutment brackets.

You'll probably need longer brake lines as well (stock corvette which is longer than stock f-body). I originally bought some Russell stainless lines, but the portion that mounted to the caliper was round in shape which doesn't provide any support to keep the line from rotating when final torquing the banjo bolt to the caliper. Trying to keep the line from rotating without bending the solid portion of it while torquing it was difficult. I picked up a set of new stainless lines from trackbird (on this site and frrax) that has a square head on the caliper end. This allows the line to support itself against the caliper when torquing. Other manufacturers may have lines with square heads as well, just check for it.

So which conversion brackets are you using for the calipers?

Mark.
using the umi brackets. talked to umi and they told me they'd be willing to accomodate my situation and send me the relocation brackets and the abutment brackets. its just the banjo bolts and the pad hardware that gm was giving me hell about, no vin, no parts. parts guy wasn't being very helpful. i have the stock rubber lines that came with the calipers. had the calipers bead blasted by a friend and they look like new. having them painted and rebuilding them. new boots. pistons should be ok i think. thanks again for all the help. work lately hasn't alowed me to research to much. so again thanks for all the help and i'll check that site when i get a chance
Old 10-07-2011, 10:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just do what I did...go to a salvage yard and get all the parts you need. Clean them up and paint. All you'll need is the custom adaptor bracket.

BTW, I have a set of C5 caliper brackets w/ almost new rotors and pads for sale. PM me if interested.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Danny
Just do what I did...go to a salvage yard and get all the parts you need. Clean them up and paint. All you'll need is the custom adaptor bracket.

BTW, I have a set of C5 caliper brackets w/ almost new rotors and pads for sale. PM me if interested.
pm sent
Old 10-07-2011, 09:01 PM
Staging Lane

Kore3 was more flexible with the parts I needed doing my C6 conversion than anyone else.

http://www.kore3.com/products.php?cat=25&pg=2
Old 10-10-2011, 08:15 AM
Launching!

If you REALLY want to hunt for parts, try finding STOCK mounting brackets for 97 rear disc brakes, or e-brake cable bracket, or the banjo bolt that is a funky thread...it sucks when the manufacture stops making parts

partstrain.com also has a fair amount of stuff on their site.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: c5 brake conversion