Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjustable Roller Rockers, Noise through the exhaust...

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 01:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjustable Roller Rockers, Noise through the exhaust...

Alright before I did the rebuild I could hear ticking through the headers it made me nuts I always though I had an exhaust leak but could never find one.

I was really under the impression the problem was the Rockers and the Crane Gold Roller Rockers I got would fix that. However this being my first time with adjustable roller rockers I must admit I did everything to be safe. I did the lowest setting on them from the guide here:
http://www.vincihighperformance.com/...TRUCTIONS.HTML
(1 and 1/2 turns)

Everything seems alright but I can still hear the same noise through the exhaust and maybe I am being paranoid but I swear I hear a tick... I guess I always look for issues for some reason.

I have an appointment to go see my local exhaust guy and make sure there are no exhaust leaks, I am hoping its an exhaust leak though as I can easily hear it through the header and under the car through the exhaust.

However either way I still hear a tick somewhere... I can only hear it in the car outside I can not seem to find it so I am not sure if I am just screwing with myself or what..... but its making me nuts. I just rebuilt the motor so I guess I am looking for anything to be wrong a little over zealously but well.... (80 miles on rebuild)

So does anyone mind giving me their thoughts on it? I was thinking about giving the Roller Rockers another 1/4 turn and see what happens. Other than that I am not sure.

Last edited by Cross; 10-06-2011 at 02:39 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:15 PM
12 Second Club

Alright I spent a lot of time with my scope playing with this. I decided to go through and redo all the Rockers and make 110% Sure I had them all setup according to the guide at 1 3/4 turns.

I still hear this damn tick. I found one on Cyl. 4 before I did this its gone now but Cyl, 1 & 3 I can hear it still and I do not want to tighten just them more. I am not even sure thats the issue to be honest I just wanted to check myself again trying to be safe.

So I wanted to see if anyone could tell me just how noisy a lifter thats not pumping up all the way is or any other noise I might be hearing up there. I tried injectors no luck they make some noise but its not them.

I am happy to take a video but these things never seem to sound the same or even are able to be heard in video's it seems.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I love all the stupid methods companies come up with to adjust valves...usually its so specific, if one tiny procedure isint followed to a "t", the entire process is wasted.

best method by far with any set of adjustable rockers, is the EOIC method.

when you see the exhaust rocker start to open, adjust the intake rocker, when you see the intake rocker start to close, adjust the exhaust rocker. this ensures each rocker you adjust at the right time is on the base circle of the cam.

there is no pattern to follow (i.e. 1E, 2I, 7I...etc...) simply watch all 16 rockers while you turn the engine slowly, (usually helps to have an extra set of eyes) and when you see one start to move like described, adjust the opposite. mark it with a paint pen or something similar after its adjusted and keep going until you run out of rockers to put paint dots on.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:45 PM
12 Second Club

I swear now its on cyl. 1 and 3 if not both one of them is making the noise I really think its #1 but I am not 100%. I sat there with my scope while my 5 year old worked on reving the car slightly. I can finally find the noise for sure its there but I am still not sure whats causing it. I think its on the exhaust valve side since I can hear it in the header too but whats weird is what in the world is it... I have redone those Roller Rockers so many times I am not sure its actually them.

I decided that since I did not have any Marvel I know Sea Foam is Sim and I had a can so I put 2/3 in the oil and 1/3 through the Intake via the Brake Booster... we shall see in a few days how it does I will drain the oil and switch from 10w30 to 5w30.

Hopefully this takes car of the issue because this tick is pissed me off bad enough that I put the vette up for sale.

Last edited by Cross; 10-25-2011 at 10:44 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:14 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you try the above method I mentioned?
Old 10-26-2011, 10:04 AM
12 Second Club

Holy crap I did not think it would work but Seafoam seems to be handling the issue this morning the tick was hardly there and with my OCD on this I was listening.
Got my son to school still faintly could hear it but hardly there, got back in the car and I could hear it damn! Left started home and reved it once or twice on the way and it was back to being quiet.
So I did the real test in the garage hood up with my scope.. the noise is almost completely gone just a faint tick! Hopefully it stays but hell yes NO MORE TICK!!!