Sponsored by:

Converting a 99 v6 a4 firebird to a carbed ls1

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 03:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Converting a 99 v6 a4 firebird to a carbed ls1

Ok heres the deal..

My buddies son blew the headgaskets on his car and he says dad the motor dont work anymore i dont know what happened. So now my buddy wants to drop a carbed ls1 motor in place of the dead v6. So i am curious about what all needs to be changed out for the swap?

what i do know is:
We need the ls1 wiring harness,ecu, and k-member.

He already has a rearend out of a ls1 car.

He has a starting point of a motor.

what i dont know is:
Is the v6 transmission a 4l60e like the ls1?

What gauge cluster do we need or can we use the factory one?

What on the wiring harnessare we not going to use since he is going with a carb setup?

Do we need to change out the fuel pump to the ls1?

OR WOULD IT BE EASIER TO DROP A 383 SBC/TH400 COMBO WITH AFTERMARKET GAUGES BUT USE ALL THE FACTORY WIRING FOR THE LIGHTS, BLINKERS, ETC?

Please any help will be thankful. I have a shop that we build race cars at but doing this swap and wanting to stay with all factory components and wiring is got me scratching my head. Cause im used to just re-wiring the car and installing all aftermarket stuff. But he wants it all to remain factory which is not a problem if i just know exactly what all is needed.

Thanks

Last edited by DMONICGTO; 10-06-2011 at 03:48 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:44 PM
TECH Resident

your gonna need everything from both list plus some
Old 10-06-2011, 11:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DMONICGTO
Ok heres the deal..

My buddies son blew the headgaskets on his car and he says dad the motor dont work anymore i dont know what happened. So now my buddy wants to drop a carbed ls1 motor in place of the dead v6. So i am curious about what all needs to be changed out for the swap?

what i do know is:
We need the ls1 wiring harness,ecu, and k-member.

He already has a rearend out of a ls1 car.

He has a starting point of a motor.

what i dont know is:
Is the v6 transmission a 4l60e like the ls1?

What gauge cluster do we need or can we use the factory one?

What on the wiring harnessare we not going to use since he is going with a carb setup?

Do we need to change out the fuel pump to the ls1?

OR WOULD IT BE EASIER TO DROP A 383 SBC/TH400 COMBO WITH AFTERMARKET GAUGES BUT USE ALL THE FACTORY WIRING FOR THE LIGHTS, BLINKERS, ETC?

Please any help will be thankful. I have a shop that we build race cars at but doing this swap and wanting to stay with all factory components and wiring is got me scratching my head. Cause im used to just re-wiring the car and installing all aftermarket stuff. But he wants it all to remain factory which is not a problem if i just know exactly what all is needed.

Thanks
as far as I know, the kit that makes the motor run, with the carb, should be stand alone... you just need to wire the msd box up and therefore wouldnt be using the ls1 harness or computer, you need a controller for the trans though... if you go with a "e" trans, like the 4l60e... you can use a flexplate, spacers, and longer bolts to bolt an older trans to the ls motor... i have those part numbers if you want them, or you can get the tci kit... your factory wiring would be used for all the lights, etc. and some of the gauges may work and can be wired up with the motor, if not you have to use aftermarket gauges and their sending units
Old 10-07-2011, 01:07 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Why go carb..you have all the provisions there to go EFI..
Old 10-07-2011, 08:41 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lscustoms
as far as i know, the kit that makes the motor run, with the carb, should be stand alone... You just need to wire the msd box up and therefore wouldnt be using the ls1 harness or computer, you need a controller for the trans though... If you go with a "e" trans, like the 4l60e... You can use a flexplate, spacers, and longer bolts to bolt an older trans to the ls motor... I have those part numbers if you want them, or you can get the tci kit... Your factory wiring would be used for all the lights, etc. And some of the gauges may work and can be wired up with the motor, if not you have to use aftermarket gauges and their sending units
sending pm now

Originally Posted by the_merv
why go carb..you have all the provisions there to go efi..
thats what he wants so thats what im gonna build him. To each is there own.

Quick Reply: Converting a 99 v6 a4 firebird to a carbed ls1