Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Really??? more problems? HELP PROBLEMS AFTER STALL

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 06:13 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Really??? more problems? HELP PROBLEMS AFTER STALL

Bought a yank 3600 stall and tci flexplate, have a basic mail order tune and it's been installed for 2 days. Car was fine except for redlining when i was wot from a stop. (i believed it was a tuning issue). Now however, it stays in first gear from 800-3600/4000 rpms. it wont shift until then and its more of a jerky shift. this is under light acceleration. Is my trans fucked up? Is it the tune? Is it the solenoid? is it the speed sensor? im so lost and pissed off I'm about to drive a my beautiful camaro off of a cliff. (well no but seriously!)

Car info:

1998 Camaro SS, 54,000 miles, 3600 stall (yank), tci flexplate, prc dual .650" valve springs, titanium seats and retainers, hardened chromoley pushrods, TSP 233/239 Camshaft, Pacesetter ceramic longtube headers, true duals with dynomax bullets, SLP Lid and Blackwing Filter.

please help asap. if u want give me a call, i trust u guys 703 881 6019
Old 10-06-2011, 07:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

you bought a 3600 stall, means the clutch won't lock up until you hit 3600 rpm's. Is it doing that?
Old 10-06-2011, 08:45 PM
Launching!

Yah it will lock up. But under normal conditions it will shift into second at 2300 or so rpms.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:45 PM
Launching!

Or it did. Not now. It literally changed over night
Old 10-07-2011, 12:47 AM
Launching!

Bumpo
Old 10-07-2011, 04:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ripfirebird94
Bumpo
You have to tune for the converter.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:53 AM
Launching!

Does the problem sound like something tuning would fix
Old 10-07-2011, 02:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1121
you bought a 3600 stall, means the clutch won't lock up until you hit 3600 rpm's. Is it doing that?
Umm no a 3600 stall doesnt mean it wont lock till 3600 rpm. The stall speed refers to when you stab the pedal the rpms flash to 3600 before the converter puts all its power to the tires... Clutch lockup is determined by speed.
Yah it will lock up. But under normal conditions it will shift into second at 2300 or so rpms.
This is how it should be operating what changed between now and when it was working like this.
Or it did. Not now. It literally changed over night
If it was tuned, drove normal and now its driving like crap then its not the tune, tune problems will be evident from the sec the tune is put in. Normally a mail order tune is fine for a stall who tuned it?
Old 10-07-2011, 03:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by redbird555
Umm no a 3600 stall doesnt mean it wont lock till 3600 rpm. The stall speed refers to when you stab the pedal the rpms flash to 3600 before the converter puts all its power to the tires... Clutch lockup is determined by speed.

This is how it should be operating what changed between now and when it was working like this.

If it was tuned, drove normal and now its driving like crap then its not the tune, tune problems will be evident from the sec the tune is put in. Normally a mail order tune is fine for a stall who tuned it?
OK so I'm not really up on this auto stuff because most all of my cars were stick so help me out here. My 2800 stall will lock up at 2800 if I nail it, correct? and then If i am just driving normal in the city my car shifts in 2nd gear at about 2300 rpm's does that mean my stall is locked then , when it shifts?
Old 10-07-2011, 04:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK so I'm not really up on this auto stuff because most all of my cars were stick so help me out here. My 2800 stall will lock up at 2800 if I nail it, correct? and then If i am just driving normal in the city my car shifts in 2nd gear at about 2300 rpm's does that mean my stall is locked then , when it shifts?
no, I think you got yourself confused. Lockup refers to the clutch that is inside the converter engaging when its in overdrive. Cruising on the highway part throttle. Typically right after it shifts into 4th gear. Its alot more obvious with aftermarket converters. I think a stock f-body is set to lock up at 45mph.

When it shifts into 2nd at 2300 its just shifting into second. When you nail it from a stop the converter "flashes" to 2800 putting the engine into its power quicker. It happens real quick. This has nothing to do with lockup.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^^What he said think of the stall speed kind of like dropping the clutch. when you nail the throttle from a stop the rpms flash to the stall speed 2800,3600 etc and then just like dropping the clutch would do at that rpms it puts the power to the tires.

At speed the converter is basically a fluid coupling fluid is pumped from the transmission into the converter and this combined with the rotational power of the engine makes it spin. Now as you may think there is some efficiency loss here because the engine and transmission are linked by fluid flow essentially. at a set speed, usually around 40mph there a clutch inside the converter that locks the converter together so there is nearly 100% efficiency at this time you will be in 4th gear and when the converter locks it will look and feel almost like another shift with the rpms dropping.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by redbird555
^^What he said think of the stall speed kind of like dropping the clutch. when you nail the throttle from a stop the rpms flash to the stall speed 2800,3600 etc and then just like dropping the clutch would do at that rpms it puts the power to the tires.

At speed the converter is basically a fluid coupling fluid is pumped from the transmission into the converter and this combined with the rotational power of the engine makes it spin. Now as you may think there is some efficiency loss here because the engine and transmission are linked by fluid flow essentially. at a set speed, usually around 40mph there a clutch inside the converter that locks the converter together so there is nearly 100% efficiency at this time you will be in 4th gear and when the converter locks it will look and feel almost like another shift with the rpms dropping.
OK yes I see a drop in rpm's and it feels like a clutch has engaged. So it will grab at around 40 mph no matter what gear the trans is in? 3rd or 4th? Thanx for the info, never too old to learn. lol
Old 10-07-2011, 07:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK yes I see a drop in rpm's and it feels like a clutch has engaged. So it will grab at around 40 mph no matter what gear the trans is in? 3rd or 4th? Thanx for the info, never too old to learn. lol

Its all dependant on throttle %. If your going above the set throttle percent for it to lock up then no it wont engage. Certain conditions have to be met for it to lock up.

Say your driving on a level road 50mph. the converter is locked(overdrive.) Then you have to go up a steep hill. Naturally you have to give it more throttle, if you go above that set perameter in the PCM it will un lock and just stay in 4th or downshift to 3rd or whatever. once you get up that hill and let off the gas slightly and cruise again at 50mph or whatever speed it will lock up again.

Stock pcm tables will never allow it to lock at full throttle, same with shifting into 4th gear. you have to let off slightly for it to happen. Or adjust the pcm tables. Lock up is designed for gas mileage and cruising on the highway.

get it a little more?
Old 10-07-2011, 07:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Badazz 97 TA
Its all dependant on throttle %. If your going above the set throttle percent for it to lock up then no it wont engage. Certain conditions have to be met for it to lock up.

Say your driving on a level road 50mph. the converter is locked(overdrive.) Then you have to go up a steep hill. Naturally you have to give it more throttle, if you go above that set perameter in the PCM it will un lock and just stay in 4th or downshift to 3rd or whatever. once you get up that hill and let off the gas slightly and cruise again at 50mph or whatever speed it will lock up again.

Stock pcm tables will never allow it to lock at full throttle, same with shifting into 4th gear. you have to let off slightly for it to happen. Or adjust the pcm tables. Lock up is designed for gas mileage and cruising on the highway.

get it a little more?

OK so i had a Tune, what do i need to ask the Tuner so i will know exactly how it is all working? Thank You all for being so patient with me.