Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Does anyone have nitrogen injected tires?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 09:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone have nitrogen injected tires?

I'm thinking about it, but I don't know if it's worth it? Opinions?
Old 10-06-2011, 09:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as I know, the only benefit is that nitrogen doesnt expand or contract with temperature change. It generally runs cooler than air so that results in longer tire life. I first started using it in my slicks. If you check pressure before and after a burnout, they tire pressure changes by as much as 4 psi depending on how hot you get your ****. With nitrogen, the temperature variance is very small. I used to have to put 8.5psi in my tires cold then after a burnout I would have a little under 10 and that was where I hooked best. Diesel rigs use nitrogen as well to prolong tire life...
Old 10-06-2011, 11:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

agreed, i work at a tire store where we fill tires with nitrogen for free....you should check any tire dealer around you to see if they will do that for you. in terms or noticing a difference, anticop is entirely correct with the variance in tire pressure. theoretically, this should result in a greater tread life and better overall tread wear. alot of people that drive the highway a lot say they notice a slightly better gas mileage, but i put my foot into it a bit too much to really notice a difference. i would say go for it if you can find a shop around you to do it
Old 10-06-2011, 11:25 PM
TECH Regular

id go with it if it was free, i would never pay for it. the amount of nitrogen in the air normaly vs what is in the tire after the "filling" changes by as little as 10%...its usualy a grab. im not blowing smoke. work at a deal and we "sell" this ****
Old 10-07-2011, 11:24 PM
On The Tree

I don't quite understand this nitrogen thing. It expands and contracts just like any other gas in relation to temperature. A gas molecule is a gas molecule as far as volume goes. Not to mention, regular air is ~60% nitrogen. I'd think that the best thing to fill tires with for performance would be hydrogen, since it's so light weight and a good insulator. However, as a highly flammable gas (think, "Oh, the humanity!") it should be counted out. Helium though, as a totally inert very light gas, would probably be good.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:57 AM
TECH Resident

Don't waste money on Nitrogen!!! If it is free that is a different story. Nitrogen is used in aircraft tires because of the dramatic temperature changes going from below freezing at altitude to scorching hot pavement and brake temps. Pure nitrogen has less pressure variance than air when heated/cooled. It is also a fire suppresant in the event of a tire blowout due to hot brakes. There is absolutely no way that nitrogen gets better fuel economy than "standard" air if they are inflated to the same pressure. Inflate your tires to the correct pressure with air and be happy (with more money in your pocket).
Old 10-08-2011, 07:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

The rears on my stock wheels were filled with nitrogen years ago and they have worn evenly and never had any issues. I would do it again - for free.