Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Repowder Coat a K member?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 09:57 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Repowder Coat a K member?

Any one on here ever done it, from having the old finish stripped to getting the new powder coat on, how much was it? I am talking about a tubular K member, not a stock one. Whats the best option on some thing like a K member far as stripping it goes? I have read about people chemically stripping, one site even recommended gasket remover to strip powder coat, seems like a pain given all the crevices and corners.

Neil

Last edited by BizZzatch350; 10-06-2011 at 10:17 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Depending on the equipment, an industrial sandblaster may be able to remove it fairly quickly, but the idea would be to not damage the steel underneath. I would call your local places and pick their brain honestly. Whoever powder coats is gonna know how to remove it properly.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

If you are going to take it somewhere to get powder coated I would just let them handle removing the current coating. Air Craft stripper from Oreilly or Autozone works fairly well but it's messy. I've also heard about a specific gasket remover being used but the one I've seen mentioned has been discontinued.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would do as suggested and speak with whomever would do the work. My guy had a place blast the piece for him since they have a large room to do real big stuff in. It was relatively inexpensive too, I had a few pieces done at the same time so I don't know an exact number but maybe $100?

Old 10-07-2011, 11:22 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have had a couple pieces done in the past, just they didn't need any thing other than some basic cleaning since none of the parts had been powder coated in the past. So the powder coat part doesn't worry so much as the actual cost to strip it. I am leaning towards who ever powder coats to get them to it. It's a red UMI LT1 K member, I bought it used but never installed and got a good deal on it. The car already has BMR upper and lower front control arms, so I figure I would powder coat it to match those so it all blends together. I some what dislike bright red on suspension pieces because I want every thing to blend in like stock and not stick out.