Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

knock sensor removel...

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 09:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default knock sensor removel...

Please excuse me if I'm posting In The wrong place but I'm workin on a 02 tahoe w/5.3 motor and need to replace the number 2 ks. The problem I'm having is the old one wont come out. I'm tryin to remove it using a 21mm socket but the part where the socket goes onto has stripped and rounded. I've tried using an extractor kit with a 17 and 19 mm extractor but its starting to get worse. Can anybody help. Don't really care what car it is as long as its the same setup it could help me in this situation... Thanks in advance...
Old 10-08-2011, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may need to get a socket that is just a little small to fit around the outside and hammer it on. The design on those really sucks for using a socket and once a little moisture gets in there the sensors rust.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:30 AM
Teching In

Yea, its rusted pretty good. I've tried the smaller socket but didn't work which brought me to to extractor idea which isn't really helping cause I'm using a 17mm now and still nothin... Can I take the valley cover off and get to it easier?
Old 10-08-2011, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, the valley can come off with the sensors still screwed into the block,, after that you may be able to grab them with a set of vise grips or something... When You put new knock sensors in, put some antisieze on the threads, and they only torque to 11 Ft. lbs. Hope this helps
Old 10-08-2011, 09:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RARON455
Yes, the valley can come off with the sensors still screwed into the block,, after that you may be able to grab them with a set of vise grips or something... When You put new knock sensors in, put some antisieze on the threads, and they only torque to 11 Ft. lbs. Hope this helps
Ah, no. The sensors screw directly into the block through grommets in the valley cover. Ergo, the sensors must be removed first.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:13 PM
Staging Lane

Seems like the holes at the bottom of mine were plenty big enough.

The rear rubber gasket on mine actually stuck on the post after I removed the rear knock sensor.

It would take some prying, but pretty sure you could get it off with the gaskets and knock sensors in place.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rikoshay
Seems like the holes at the bottom of mine were plenty big enough.

The rear rubber gasket on mine actually stuck on the post after I removed the rear knock sensor.

It would take some prying, but pretty sure you could get it off with the gaskets and knock sensors in place.
OK, I'll concede on this after looking at the images on this post. I swear I remember mine tapering down more, but I guess the cover could be pried off in a pinch. Could bust thinhs up though...

Quick Reply: knock sensor removel...