Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

G Body P/S Pump Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 07:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G Body P/S Pump Question

I've read a bunch of threads and researched this and i cant seem to put a definitive answer on this. I put the S10 manual box on the car so the LQ4 has no power steering pump on it, i want p/s back non the less. So everyone says that some people have the box running backwards when the engine is on (turn the wheel left wheels go right situation). if i go and get a 98 to 02 p/s pump and put my p/s box back on will it turn the right way as long as the donor truck doesn't have rack and pinion?
Old 10-08-2011, 07:52 PM
Teching In

Also, with the truck accessories on the motor its a little tight room wise, I've read somewhere on here or the internet and a couple guys have put newer s10 6 ribbed smaller pulley on the p/s pump is this possible?
Old 10-09-2011, 06:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Elcolq4
Also, with the truck accessories on the motor its a little tight room wise, I've read somewhere on here or the internet and a couple guys have put newer s10 6 ribbed smaller pulley on the p/s pump is this possible?

Find a stock steering box and pitman arm for a g body.. get 1in setback mounts and voila! You can run factory clam shell mounts, with 1 in setback and the factory truck ps pulley clears by about an inch.. plenty of room. I'll snap pictures later when I get home.

Sell that manual box as a lot of f body/g body guys that have drag cars would like it.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've read a bunch of threads and researched this and i cant seem to put a definitive answer on this. I put the S10 manual box on the car so the LQ4 has no power steering pump on it, i want p/s back non the less. So everyone says that some people have the box running backwards when the engine is on (turn the wheel left wheels go right situation). if i go and get a 98 to 02 p/s pump and put my p/s box back on will it turn the right way as long as the donor truck doesn't have rack and pinion?
Yes, it will work right. I have two g-body cars with LS engines. One an 02 truck engine and the other an f-body accessory setup. Both work perfect on the power steering.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:28 PM
Teching In

Alright cool pics would help! Ok when i put it in i was going for hell save some hp but i can only go about 1/4 throttle from a stop sign with the rear end and tire setup so yea, and the box is like a 20:1 or so and it kills my arms trying to park
Old 10-09-2011, 10:30 PM
Teching In

As for the positioning of the motor, i have it about 1/4 inch from the firewall so its back as far as possible so im not worried about that more or less the system.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:48 PM
TECH Regular

You can put smaller pullies on the truck pump if you run into inference problems with the huge factory pulley. When you get a truck pump, get a pressure valve out of a G-body pump in a junk yard to match pump pressure to what the box is made for...some people do not do this and end up with "twitchy" steering because the new pumps run higher pressures.

I think you may have read my thread with the wheels turning opposite the steering wheel. Turns out that my hoses were in the wrong ports on the box. Odd thing is that the stock G-body box has 2 different sized ports and the pressure line fit the return port for some reason. To solve my problem I bought a manual box until I have better access to my car to tinker with non-essential issues.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:02 PM
Teching In

Maybe i did read yours haha who knows, but is the valve hard to switch? And soon ill have a 525 box for sale if some one is interested
Old 10-10-2011, 09:11 PM
Teching In

2nd thought i did comment on your post, i guess by doing this i was getting re-insured with the setup.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:35 PM
TECH Regular

The valve is easy to get off...sort of. First you have to get the pump off the brackets...unless you like laying down in the mud to access the back/bottom of the pump. First you have to take out the power steering line and then hope you brought a big enough wrench that fits the fitting. Don't let it pop out on you, there is an internal spring that will want to fling that fitting out of your wrench. Take the fitting, spring and other piece that is in there and swap them ALL into your truck pump and you SHOULD be good to go.

NOTE: I say "should" because I do not know this will work from first-hand knowledge seeing as mine was a bit messed up and I took the easy way out. I do, however, know how to take the valves out as I did actually do this step.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

This might be the best pic I have at the moment..

That is all F-body Accessories, SBC to LS Conversion Plates with the stock Clamshells.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:56 AM
Teching In

Alright well i guess im headed for the junk yard today then, lets see what i can find.

Merv your using the f body front runner system right?
Old 10-11-2011, 11:23 AM
Teching In

Well heres a picture of what i have to work with
You may have to copy the url and do it manually

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater
Old 10-11-2011, 02:28 PM
11 Second Club

Merv your using the f body front runner system right?
You mean the accessories? Yes..
Old 10-11-2011, 02:53 PM
Launching!

Default steering Box

I have an 87 Grand National steering box if you need it.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:30 PM
Teching In

Yea stupid me i didnt look under the dang picture

Lamdenali i might be interested in your box
Old 10-11-2011, 09:35 PM
11 Second Club

Lamdenali i might be interested in your box
Old 10-12-2011, 01:01 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by spacemanspif
NOTE: I say "should" because I do not know this will work from first-hand knowledge seeing as mine was a bit messed up and I took the easy way out. I do, however, know how to take the valves out as I did actually do this step.
Yes, it is a bolt in. Everything will fit just fine. I have done this on my el camino, monte carlo, and my brothers buick swap.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:01 AM
Teching In

ok feeew haha good to know its not hard

Quick Reply: G Body P/S Pump Question