Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Broken trans mount, Help on choice POLY/RUBBER

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 12:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Broken trans mount, Help on choice POLY/RUBBER

Mount just broke on me, split in two. Want to go to poly, but need help. I want to go to solid mm and a poly trans mount...someday, but for the time being I have newish rubber mm, and want to just put the poly trans mount in. My problem is i have a M6 car with a large cam and Wide back tires. What negative affects would solid/poly mounts have. Car is a toy not dd. And what mounts to go with ES or prothane???
Old 10-09-2011, 02:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Get the ES and ditch the preload plate, plus grind/cut the pre-load bumps off the mount. This way the vibrations transmitted to the car body are minimized.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:13 PM
Teching In

Is it ok to run poly trans with factory rubber mm until I get the solid mm and crossmember mounted torque ARM?
Old 10-09-2011, 07:15 PM
12 Second Club

I have poly motor mounts and torque arm relocation cross member - should I go poly or rubber - I will be getting a stall and heard rubber can't handle it but yet poly vibrate like crazy??
Old 10-09-2011, 07:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by projectX
I have poly motor mounts and torque arm relocation cross member - should I go poly or rubber - I will be getting a stall and heard rubber can't handle it but yet poly vibrate like crazy??

Can't u kiss me before hijacking
Old 10-09-2011, 09:31 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by pewterssongrayzo6
Can't u kiss me before hijacking
So.. what you mean to say is if it's a DD stay away from the poly mounts - got ya. Thanks pewterssongrayzo6!! Sorry for cutting in like that.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

if you were to take the TA off of the trans you would have no need to run anything but a rubber one. i run poly motor mounts with a stock trans mount. way to much vibration with the poly trans mount
Old 10-10-2011, 05:46 AM
Teching In

Crap this means I need to buy the mount that's twice as expensive. No problem x. I think I over reacted.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:04 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by pewterssongrayzo6
Crap this means I need to buy the mount that's twice as expensive. No problem x. I think I over reacted.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Go rubber.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Get the ES mount and do what I said in my previous post, and you'll be just fine.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:04 AM
Teching In

Found a prothane mount on amazon for 20. Just like the ES without the pre load plate so no need to grind anything. So I'm gonna see how it works out. BTW WTF is up with the stock rubber tranny mounts being almost a bill. It's crazy!
Old 10-13-2011, 08:45 AM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

whats the deal with the preload plate?
Old 10-13-2011, 11:23 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Go rubber.
+1
If you don't have Poly Motor Mounts, go rubber for your Trans mount.

Without Poly MMs, you engine will "twist" like it normally does, what happens to your Transmission tail shaft when it wants to move with the engine but can't b/c the poly trans mount doesn't flex as much as a rubber trans mount? It cracks.

Go Rubber until you get Poly or Solid Motor Mounts.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jerflash
if you were to take the TA off of the trans you would have no need to run anything but a rubber one. i run poly motor mounts with a stock trans mount. way to much vibration with the poly trans mount
^^^^This. I have been running the same stock trans mount that was on the car when I bought it over 3 yrs ago.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:06 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Just weld it all together...lol..................some like rubber, some like poly.

I use rubber...zero noise, zero vibration.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Oh man. Watch out when talking about poly mounts people start bringing up this mythical tale of breaking the tailshaft and crazy vibes.

I've ran poly trans mounts with stock rubber motor mounts on 2 cars. Both cars daily driven at least 15k a year. I like them. They keep the shifter from bouncing around and helps with shifting. The vibes soften up after maybe a week and they completely go away. But do yourself a favor and get the Prothane instead of the ES mount.

I still want to see someone with a broken tailshaft due to a poly trans mount.

Last edited by HoLLo; 10-13-2011 at 05:15 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:53 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by HoLLo
Oh man. Watch out when talking about poly mounts people start bringing up this mythical tale of breaking the tailshaft and crazy vibes.

I've ran poly trans mounts with stock rubber motor mounts on 2 cars. Both cars daily driven at least 15k a year. I like them. They keep the shifter from bouncing around and helps with shifting. The vibes soften up after maybe a week and they completely go away. But do yourself a favor and get the Prothane instead of the ES mount.

I still want to see someone with a broken tailshaft due to a poly trans mount.
I don't have pics, but I've seen it happen, but it's the internet, so, believe what you will.

As for the crazy vibes, I cannot speak of them, I have Poly Motor Mounts and a Poly Trans Mount, not a single vibration issue.

The benefits you describe, shifter not bouncing around, helps with shifting are all true.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SteelCityYaga
I don't have pics, but I've seen it happen, but it's the internet, so, believe what you will.

As for the crazy vibes, I cannot speak of them, I have Poly Motor Mounts and a Poly Trans Mount, not a single vibration issue.

The benefits you describe, shifter not bouncing around, helps with shifting are all true.
You have the stock cam right? I think the difference is with the guys with the bigger cams, all the engine vibrations and being transmitted right into the car.
Ive always been curious about this with a stockish setup, so you really get no more vibrations than stock? Have you seen any downsides at all?
Old 10-14-2011, 10:06 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
You have the stock cam right? I think the difference is with the guys with the bigger cams, all the engine vibrations and being transmitted right into the car.
Ive always been curious about this with a stockish setup, so you really get no more vibrations than stock? Have you seen any downsides at all?
Yes, I have the stock cam, at this moment...

I haven't noticed any more vibrations than stock, besides at idle, I've gone very much above highway speeds and still have not noticed anything out of the ordinary.

The only downside I have noticed is when sometimes when I am down shifting, if I don't rev-match the gear, there's this weird feeling with the shifter. But if I rev-match the gear while downshifting, it's not there.

Quick Reply: Broken trans mount, Help on choice POLY/RUBBER