Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

4th gear grind after Tick MC and mobil 1 ATF

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 10:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4th gear grind after Tick MC and mobil 1 ATF

I just installed my Tick MC and all the gears go in and out much smoother than before, however 4th gear grinds. It has always had a slight scratch/grind at high rpm, but I blamed the stock MC on that after doing some reading. Now the scratch/grind seems to be worse than before. I bench bled the system before I put it in, but still have yet to bleed it after the install. I'm sure there may be a little air in the system but not sure this is the problem as all the other gears work smoothly. It does this both on the 3-4 up-shift and 5-4 down-shift. Only other variable is that I changed the tranny fluid to Mobil 1 ATF a day before I did the MC, but never did any high rpm shifting so not sure if this had a negative effect. Possible air causing grind from not engaging clutch all the way? Time for rebuild? Synthetic ATF causing it to act up? Any help would be appreciated! thanks!
Old 10-10-2011, 04:52 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard of Mobil 1 ATF causing miscellaneous grinds, although it's strange that your transmission is only grinding one gear.

The first thing I'd try is to drain the Mobil 1 and replace it with regular ol' Dexron III. We stay away from synthetic fluid here.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Joey@Tick
I've heard of Mobil 1 ATF causing miscellaneous grinds, although it's strange that your transmission is only grinding one gear.

The first thing I'd try is to drain the Mobil 1 and replace it with regular ol' Dexron III. We stay away from synthetic fluid here.
Thanks I'll try out the dexron! If it persists then it looks like it's time for a rebuild

Its strange because it used to occasionally grind going into 3rd gear, but after MC install it doesn't at all.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Joey@Tick

What fluid do you guys use Joey?
Old 10-27-2011, 10:08 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any update OP?
Originally Posted by gs462
What fluid do you guys use Joey?
Regular ol' Dexron III.

Quick Reply: 4th gear grind after Tick MC and mobil 1 ATF