Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Are there aftermarket DIRECT bolt-in Upper and Lower Control arms.........

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 01:43 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Are there aftermarket DIRECT bolt-in Upper and Lower Control arms.........

.....that will not affect getting alignments and that will not give me any kind of hassles in a 100% street car?

I've heard some are bad for the street.......so.....

I want to bolt them on, put my tires back on and go get an alignment...and forget about them for years.

Is it possible?

Which brands?
Or maybe a full kit/package?

WITH ALL BUSHINGS installed already...would be nice.

Thanks.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

they all fit.........so that qualifies and a direct bolt on.......and anytime you remove the lower arm you loose your alignment settings........so a trip to the shop is a must.............the only problem with aftermarket arms is deciding on bushing material type
Old 10-11-2011, 02:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Pretty sure lower arms are not adjustable where they mount. I have replaced some and the car drove straight as an arrow, but that was years ago.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:33 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Like mentioned when you remove the lower A-Arm it will affect the alignment settings, there is no way around it. Its like mounting a tire, it will always need balanced no matter you do. The lower A-arm mounts in slots in the k-member and this is how you align the vehicle.

We offer bolt in upper and lower A-arms for the F-Body with many bushing choices and ball joints included. I posted a link below. We also have a new boxed style set just about ready to come out, it is a heavy duty lower A-arm design for auto cross.

UMI Performance Front A-Arms

If you have any questions please ask and I will be glad to help. Thank you!
Ryan
Old 10-11-2011, 09:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

The stock k member has slots for the lower control arm mounting points?
Old 10-11-2011, 09:34 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
The stock k member has slots for the lower control arm mounting points?

Correct, the factory k-member is slotted for both mounting locations.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:53 PM
Banned

As I mentioned in my original post....I have no problem getting another alignment, I know that will be needed once those bolts are loosened.

I've just heard that aftermarket arms (upper and lower) pose problems for street cars. I've read posts where people say its something that I might regret doing for 100% STREET CAR.

Ryan,
Will I simply install these, go to any alignment guy and he'll be able to align my front end normally......then I can just forget about them for years and years? Or do they pose any problems at all that FACTORY arms do not?
How do I know if I want adjustable or non-adjustable?

Any idea of the total weight savings going to your 230011...from factory HEAVY *** arms?

Old 10-11-2011, 07:16 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only issues I've heard from aftermarket arms is in slamming into a pot hole/curb. I've heard of a few that bent from every manufacturer, but that being said I've seen stock arms bend as well. Look at it this way, if any manufacturer sold you an arm knowing if was of inferior quality and could not stand up to more than what it was designed for, they're asking for a huge lawsuit. I've seen and installed lower and upper arms on all types of F-bod's from trailer queen show cars, to all out race cars, to daily drivers. I've never seen one fail under "normal" use. I have seen issues develop from hitting a curb at excessive speed, and car accidents. They've held up to bumper scrapping wheel stands and more cornering loads than I could dream of pulling. I think you'll be fine. At worse you "may" have to put up with some squeeking depending on what bushing/bearing choice you make. G/L!!
Old 10-12-2011, 12:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by duh
The only issues I've heard from aftermarket arms is in slamming into a pot hole/curb. I've heard of a few that bent from every manufacturer, but that being said I've seen stock arms bend as well. Look at it this way, if any manufacturer sold you an arm knowing if was of inferior quality and could not stand up to more than what it was designed for, they're asking for a huge lawsuit. I've seen and installed lower and upper arms on all types of F-bod's from trailer queen show cars, to all out race cars, to daily drivers. I've never seen one fail under "normal" use. I have seen issues develop from hitting a curb at excessive speed, and car accidents. They've held up to bumper scrapping wheel stands and more cornering loads than I could dream of pulling. I think you'll be fine. At worse you "may" have to put up with some squeeking depending on what bushing/bearing choice you make. G/L!!
Thats what I'm concerned about. I've hit pot holes that have dented my rims and bottomed out my car and bump stops....and the factory arms are just fine. They are almost indestructible unless you slam right into an 8" high curb at 40mph.......but if that happens, you have allot of issues to deal with...lol

I've heard that aftermarket arms (both upper and lower) are really for track cars that will always have a nice smooth road to run on. I'm wondering if aftermarket stuff will get all beat up and bent over a year or two even if I don't hit anything really bad, just normal road conditions we have out there.

Also...weight savings. What would I be looking at saving....might not be worth it if I can't save 30%-40% over stock arms.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks UMI, learn something new everyday
Old 10-12-2011, 02:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run UMI lowers and BRM uppers on a 100% Street car. Pretty happy with them. I have had a failure though. Rod end failed on on of the lowers and I had to replace the arm, UMI helped me out with it so I'm still happy with them.

If you do get rod ends, they get extremely noisy if you don't keep up on greasing them.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by xXSilencerXx
I run UMI lowers and BRM uppers on a 100% Street car. Pretty happy with them. I have had a failure though. Rod end failed on on of the lowers and I had to replace the arm, UMI helped me out with it so I'm still happy with them.

If you do get rod ends, they get extremely noisy if you don't keep up on greasing them.
Can you tell me what the weight savings would be if I did uppers and lowers?

I won't do rod ends, or adjustable ones.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:08 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
Can you tell me what the weight savings would be if I did uppers and lowers?

I won't do rod ends, or adjustable ones.

Probably not enough weight savings to justify the expense if you don't want the adjustability...that's why people usually go with aftermarket parts for those two pieces (the adjustability, not necessarily the weight savings). You'd be especially hard pressed to find something lighter than the stock upper arms. I'd just replace the bushings in your stock pieces, paint them or powder coat them if you want them to look nice and call it a day.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Probably not enough weight savings to justify the expense if you don't want the adjustability...that's why people usually go with aftermarket parts for those two pieces (the adjustability, not necessarily the weight savings). You'd be especially hard pressed to find something lighter than the stock upper arms. I'd just replace the bushings in your stock pieces, paint them or powder coat them if you want them to look nice and call it a day.
Thats the info I was looking for. Just not worth it for weaker parts. Thanks.

I just put new (used) upper and lower factory arms on last year with all new bushings....new front and rear end links and tie rods........so I'm set for allot of years.

Thanks.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 147 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by xXSilencerXx

You shouldn't grease rod ends. The grease will trap road grime which will get into the joint and wear them out more quickly.

The rotojoints are different they require greasing.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lees02WS6
You shouldn't grease rod ends. The grease will trap road grime which will get into the joint and wear them out more quickly.

The rotojoints are different they require greasing.
Agreed, I use liquid-suspended graphite spray on my rod ends.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:38 AM
FormerVendor

Thanks for your interest LS6427

Our uppers weigh in at 4.50 lbs, almost exactly the same as the factory arms. The real weight savings come with the lowers at 8.80 lbs as opposed to the factory lowers at 12.70 lbs. Please take these weights with a grain of salt as different bushing and joint options present slightly different weights. The kit package (or the lowers alone) saves an average of 8 lbs (or 30% of the total).

Non-adjustable uppers are best for street use as there is no need to maintain them. You can still use non-adjustables for auto-cross and track days as well. Adjustable uppers allow auto-cross and track day ease-of-alignment when there isn't enough on the lowers.

Both upper and lower A-arms are direct bolts, no special tools needed and they bolt in the same as factory. We do highly recommend contacting the alignment shop before taken the vehicle in. Although aligning the vehicle is the same as factory many places that have never seen these items before tend to be overwhelmed. Do some research or has fellow members in your area about a good shop.

I hope this helps!
Ryan

Please give us a call and we can help you make your final decision. We trust you’ll be pleased with any part selected from UMI’s line.

Thanks

ramey
Old 10-13-2011, 01:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Thanks for your interest LS6427

Our uppers weigh in at 4.50 lbs, almost exactly the same as the factory arms. The real weight savings come with the lowers at 8.80 lbs as opposed to the factory lowers at 12.70 lbs. Please take these weights with a grain of salt as different bushing and joint options present slightly different weights. The kit package (or the lowers alone) saves an average of 8 lbs (or 30% of the total).

Non-adjustable uppers are best for street use as there is no need to maintain them. You can still use non-adjustables for auto-cross and track days as well. Adjustable uppers allow auto-cross and track day ease-of-alignment when there isn't enough on the lowers.

Both upper and lower A-arms are direct bolts, no special tools needed and they bolt in the same as factory. We do highly recommend contacting the alignment shop before taken the vehicle in. Although aligning the vehicle is the same as factory many places that have never seen these items before tend to be overwhelmed. Do some research or has fellow members in your area about a good shop.

I hope this helps!
Ryan

Please give us a call and we can help you make your final decision. We trust you’ll be pleased with any part selected from UMI’s line.

Thanks

ramey
Cool Ryan...thanks. I'll probably go with upper and lowers whenever the next bushing on either side wears out....because swapping bushings in these factory arsm is HELL.

But I'll be getting that Torque Arm w/crossmember mount and dual DS loops we talked about......just as soon as I get back in town and can take some measurements. I might get the straight crossmember bar since I'm lowered........

Old 10-13-2011, 02:38 PM
FormerVendor

Sounds great. Let me know if you need any help. Thanks again! Ryan
Old 10-13-2011, 08:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pardon the intrusion. UMI, when is the boxed "Autox" style being released?

Quick Reply: Are there aftermarket DIRECT bolt-in Upper and Lower Control arms.........