Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
Old 05-10-2016, 03:16 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevoret Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

What rotors and pads do you recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 12:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What rotors and pads do you recommend?

I am getting some rotor warp, not sure which one(s) just yet, and the rear pads need to be replaced. So, I was planning to just swap all 4 corners.

What rotors and pads are recommended for a DD? I'd rather have brake dust than brake squeal, but neither are desirable. Stopping power, longevity, and resitance to warpage is my main criteria, though.

I'm planning to ride the current brakes out as far as I can, so I am basically just shopping and planning right now.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

DBA rotors and Hawk HPS pads on my car. You could run ceramic pads and have no dusting issues
Old 10-11-2011, 02:37 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Hawk HPS pads are very good for the street. I ran them and liked them on the street. I'm currently running StopTech pads and I like them a lot more, to be honest.

For rotors, don't be fooled by all the glitz and glamor from the drilled and slotted rotors. Also, avoid cheap rotors. There is a lot of variables involved with creating a quality, iron rotor, and it starts with good steel.

For rotors, DBA makes some very good stuff. I run their two-piece rotors when I hit the big tracks. PowerSlot is extremly good, and now owned by the same company that owns StopTech.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 10-12-2011, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BMR Sales
Hawk HPS pads are very good for the street. I ran them and liked them on the street. I'm currently running StopTech pads and I like them a lot more, to be honest.

For rotors, don't be fooled by all the glitz and glamor from the drilled and slotted rotors. Also, avoid cheap rotors. There is a lot of variables involved with creating a quality, iron rotor, and it starts with good steel.

For rotors, DBA makes some very good stuff. I run their two-piece rotors when I hit the big tracks. PowerSlot is extremly good, and now owned by the same company that owns StopTech.
I was thinking of upgrading to the 2 piece rotor didn't know any one running them. Now I know they work . Good info.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:56 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by 1lejohn
I was thinking of upgrading to the 2 piece rotor didn't know any one running them. Now I know they work . Good info.
I don't believe DBA makes a two-piece for the Camaro, but I could be mistaken. I just looked on their site and didn't see them. But they also sold them for the GTO and didn't have them up on thre....hell, their site says 2003/2004 GTO and 97-2002 Camaro/Firebird. haha
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 10-12-2011, 07:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im running ATE Premium One rotors and Hawk HPS pads on my wife's car, and am very happy with the stopping power, and looks of the rotors.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:45 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have 135,000 miles on my Baer Eradispeed rotors. They look new. I always use factory replacement AC Delco pads.

There's not much more that can be done to a stock sized rotor and stock calipers to help you stop any better FOR A STREET CAR than your factory brake system can do. I can lock my tires easily if I want to, there's nothing aftermarket pads can do if you can already lock up the tires.

As far as Brake Fade......thats what made me get some kind of better rotors. I had to stop behind a dump truck on I-95 who literally started losing control about 50 yards in front us and dumping its full load of rocks all over the road. I had to give the brakes everything they had from 80mph....then "fade" set in and it was almost like braking went away, while I was standing on my brake pedal.

I spoke to Brembo, Baer and Wilwood.....they all said brake fade would be much better with anything other than a stock rotor. They said stock pads are all I need for the street. Not wanting to spend $4,000 for brakes......I went with the Baer Erads. I tried them out from 80mph....no more brake fade. I mean, none like that day with that damn dump truck. Will they still fade...probably, maybe if I hit a road course, then they'd probably fail....lol
But for an emergency stop one time to save my ***......no more fade from 80mph. A road race course...they are not designed for that.
They are SO MUCH better and smoother than stock brakes.

Those three companies also told me that braking is ALL about "TIRES". They said if I put a $4,000 set of BIG custom brakes all around and still drove around with regular street radials....stopping will be NO better than before. There's only so much you can do with a street radial....its very easy for the cheesiest brake system to lock them up........

Road racing and other racing.....different story altogether.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:41 AM
On The Tree

I've heard a lot of good things about the Hawk pads so I'm going with them. However, I am in "option overload" with the rotors. I've found every combination of blank, drilled, and slotted rotors imaginable and every one of them claims to be the best. My "baseline" consideration is the NAPA ultra premium rotors. Is there any real reason to get something "fancier"?

I've looked into all of the options mentioned so far, but I am just not convinced that the drilled/slotted rotors are really necessary in my application. I've read that the slotted rotors tend to wear out pads faster and the drilled rotors are more likely to crack. But they are better performers while they last. Is any of that true?
Old 10-13-2011, 11:08 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by stingrayj
I've heard a lot of good things about the Hawk pads so I'm going with them. However, I am in "option overload" with the rotors. I've found every combination of blank, drilled, and slotted rotors imaginable and every one of them claims to be the best. My "baseline" consideration is the NAPA ultra premium rotors. Is there any real reason to get something "fancier"?

I've looked into all of the options mentioned so far, but I am just not convinced that the drilled/slotted rotors are really necessary in my application. I've read that the slotted rotors tend to wear out pads faster and the drilled rotors are more likely to crack. But they are better performers while they last. Is any of that true?
You should be happy with Hawks. When it comes to "I'm the best!" That's pretty easy to identify...WATCH A RACE! Companies like Brembo, AP Racing, and StopTech are out there at major racing events across the US and the world testing their products. Pads, rotors, fluid, calipers, all of these are exposed to hard temperatures in excess of 1,500-degrees on the rotor surface!

In my opinion, racing is the best test bed, especially for brakes. If the company is touting they have the best brakes but they're not out there actually doing it, can you really take their word for it?

It is correct, the tires are the only part of the car touching the ground. You can only brake as well as your tires will allow from a friction standpoint, not from fade or consistency.

The NAPA rotors, I believe, have a slick warranty with them and are good quality.

Oh, and to add:
I'm personally not a fan of cross-drilled rotors. I have too many friends with Z06 Vettes that crack their factory, cross-drilled rotors to ever be convinced otherwise. Then, after interviewing the engineers at Brembo and StopTech for an article I wrote, I was FURTHER shifted into the mindset that I would never own a cross-drilled rotor. I run slotted rotors on my GTO and our Camaro has Wilwood slotted rotors. Is there a reduction in pad life? I'm sure there is, but I don't believe it would be anything that would be a concern should you choose to go down that avenue.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!

Last edited by BMR Tech2; 10-13-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have hawk HPS pads on my car and I can tell you after this morning that they will outbrake a BMW X3 who is not paying attention during a panic stop. new rear bumpers are NOT included with the pads however.. so that's unfortunate.

rotors.. I got cheap chinese ones from orileys.. my "expensive" ones were warped out of the box.

seriously tho.. hawk hps are great pads, I've had them on 2 cars that I've owned. My only complaint is noise and dusting, but.. when you go into performance pads ya just deal with it.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:20 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

I've got a number of rotor options ranging from good quality blanks, to ATE PremiumOne coated rotors, to Racing Brake's directionally vaned rotors (DBA too). I also carry Hawk pads. And have some kits that have rotors and pads together too.

FWIW, rotors don't fade, pads and fluid fade. If you have a crappy rotor that cannot cool well, that extra heat goes into the pads and eventually the fluid.

I'm happy to help you with the rotor choice, most likely we'll end up with blanks or ATE's (only if you want the coating and the shallow slotting that helps with pad wear when dirt is a factor, they are also setup to be wear indicators showing when the rotor need replaced).

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-13-2011, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have brake cooling ducts on the front rotors.FWIW. They seem to help. Yes my drilled rotors developed hair line cracks so I changed them out. The deal with the aftermarket (racing pads ) are they take more heat before failing. Like Sam stated. They also need more heat in them before they bite(work). Thus don't run the highest rated temp. pad on the street it will never reach operating temp. This is really true in drag racing where a good street pad is better then a road race pad.

I also finally upgraded the stock type hoses to Goodridge teflon ones. They made a big difference in peddle feel.

The biggest problem with the stock braking system are the floating calipers and the number of pistons. The better braking systems have a fixed caliper and more pistons which all help clamp the rotor more evenly and transfer heat better. This also helps the rotor and pad wear even.

Large rotors are like large wheels there is a point where the size doesn't really help. Its more for looks. I read an article that tested wheel and tire combos and the 17"-19" sizes did better then the 20+ sizes. Its just not worth the cost and weight. IMOP
Old 10-13-2011, 08:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Summit Racing brand pads. been using them for more than a year and work great and are wearing well. They were like $40 a pair.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:54 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by skopers3
I have Summit Racing brand pads. been using them for more than a year and work great and are wearing well. They were like $40 a pair.
A coworker recommended them to me yesterday. The prices look good.

I may need rear brakes sooner than I thought. I'm getting some not-so-pleasant noises from them.

I've used R1 Concept rotors and Posi-Quiet ceramic pads on my last vehicle. They worked well and only had a slight squeal at times. Anyone use them on a 4th gen?
Old 10-14-2011, 02:43 PM
TECH Addict

i switched over to a powerslot/ hawk pad combo with the stainless steel lines in my Trans Am... They work great!!!
I just ordered a set from brake motive for my z06 and they seem to be doing great as well.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had Brembo blanks and Hawk HPS pads. Very simple, cost effective package that stopped great. They really helped to pull the car down from speed at the drag strip and also on the street. I would recommend them to anyone looking for a nice all around performing package.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:55 PM
TECH Addict

Im getting ws6 store rotors and hawk HPS
Old 11-08-2011, 12:15 PM
Launching!

I know this thread is kinda dated, but strand mentioned the ATE Premium One rotors earlier. I was looking at these and I like the price and the promises. Anyone running them? How are they if you are?
Old 11-08-2011, 12:36 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Why not run a PowerSlot rotor?
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 11-08-2011, 12:55 PM
Launching!

I am considering those as well. I just want to get some real world opinions on the premiumone rotors as well. I've heard plenty of good from powerslot rotors.

Quick Reply: What rotors and pads do you recommend?