Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LQ9 vs LS2 vs L92 for something oldschool

Old 10-12-2011, 12:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ9 vs LS2 vs L92 for something oldschool

Im planning on building an engine for my 68 goat and am in need of advice from the engine masters of ls1tech. Ideally i would like close to or around 500hp and 500ft/lbs and good drivability.

Im thinking about either an lq9 for cheapness/availability but i also like the lighter weight of the ls2 block; so thats one consideration.

I also want to make it a 402 stroker and am wondering who makes the best stroker kit.

As for the top end would i be better off with ported/polished ls2 heads and a FAST intake, or the LS3 stuff?

Another option I just found locally was a 30k kms L92 out of an escalade. But Im worried about what sort of complications i could run into with it when i hook up a 6 speed manual to it, with the VVT and whatnot. I would also want this stroked out a bit more too to reach atleast 6.5 liters.

Please help educate me!!!
Old 10-12-2011, 09:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 68Goatboy
Im planning on building an engine for my 68 goat and am in need of advice from the engine masters of ls1tech. Ideally i would like close to or around 500hp and 500ft/lbs and good drivability.

Im thinking about either an lq9 for cheapness/availability but i also like the lighter weight of the ls2 block; so thats one consideration.

I also want to make it a 402 stroker and am wondering who makes the best stroker kit.

As for the top end would i be better off with ported/polished ls2 heads and a FAST intake, or the LS3 stuff?

Another option I just found locally was a 30k kms L92 out of an escalade. But Im worried about what sort of complications i could run into with it when i hook up a 6 speed manual to it, with the VVT and whatnot. I would also want this stroked out a bit more too to reach atleast 6.5 liters.

Please help educate me!!!
I may not have the highest thread count, but I have a couple opinions for ya!
Im almost in the same boat but my goal is a little less, at about 450. I plan on using an LQ4 or LQ9 block. They are both the same block, just the LQ9 has beefier rods and flat top pistons. Everything else is the same. Now, since you are going with a stroker, you might as well grab an LQ4 as they are even more readily available and sometimes a little cheaper.

The L92 you have your eyes on is also a very good source as well, and your concerns about the VVT can be taken care of. You can block off the ports and there is probably more to research to do on that. Good luck with the build!
Old 10-12-2011, 09:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

id indefinetly go with the LS2. you have the weight savings of the aluminum block and wont lose compression like you would with an LQ4. Ls2 with LS3 heads/intake/cam say hello to 500rwhp knocking on your door

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LQ9 vs LS2 vs L92 for something oldschool