Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Replacing shocks and/or springs

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 02:45 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing shocks and/or springs

This question is not necessarily F body related, but a general all-car question...

On my 96 Buick Roadmaster with the LT1 I'm going replace the shocks to improve the ride a bit. I'm going for the most comfortable ride possible. The car has 170k miles on it, and I don't know if the springs were ever replaced. The shocks were, currently on there is some KYB GR2 crappy shocks that seem worn out.

So my question is :

To get a nice soft, comfortable ride, should I just replace the shocks and leave the springs as long as they aren't broken or damaged? Or should I look into replacing the springs as well with some stock rated Moogs or something?
Old 10-14-2011, 04:13 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best ride comes from stock type springs and decent shocks. I had a '95 Caprice wagon and I bought Bilstein shocks for it. There are 2 types; the regular replacement for my car from bilstein were too soft for me so I purchased the 9C1 version (Police spec Bilsteins) that really planted that heavy beast. You wont like the 9C1s from your post. I was running Eibach at one point - too low, ride OK. Went back to stock type springs, ride good, more practical ride height with NO bottoming out (!). Google Scott Mueller, he has an article on the 'net explaining the differences with the Bilstein shocks. Bilstein are a well made product and unless your springs are broken or sagging, they should be alright.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was looking at moog springs for my 02 Z28 and I wanted it back to stock that's why I'm thinking these with bilsteins also.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a '93 Caprice LTZ a number of years back. From the factory, the thing had the 4x4 look, which was totally unacceptable. I first tried the Moog tech line, gave them the OE part numbers, and they set me up with a set of their springs that were close to stock in rate, but lowered the car about 5/8". It was an improvement, but the car was still a bit high.

Eventually, Eibach came out with their spring set for the Impala SS, and I teamed them up with a set of Monroe Sensa-Track shocks, and Energy Suspension control arm bushings. I was pretty happy with that set-up...

Quick Reply: Replacing shocks and/or springs