Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

detailing the spoiler, rock chips? Clear coat question

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 04:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default detailing the spoiler, rock chips? Clear coat question

Ok first and foremost i am wondering how to wash wax buff detail etc under the spoiler of my 99 trans am... do you guys take it off or something? i am going to buy a PC dual action and i am curious.

Second i do not have pictures but i will post pics when i get home on if i can buff and polish them out and if not what my options are.

Third i have a few spots where clear coat has bubbled and been taken off i believe. What can i do to fix this problem?

also what is your guys method to removing sticky residue from a sticker i presume (previous owner) seems like it has been there for years i tryed a razor blade and it knicked the paint before i got any residue off.. this is located on the rear plastic bumper.

Thanks in advance!!
Old 10-14-2011, 04:51 PM
Staging Lane

Ive never heard of taking the spoiler off but If you just take a rag you should have enough clearance to get underneath to wash and wax. I have no problem doing it myself.

As far as rockchips, wax can help, I know paste scratch removers can do wonders for smaller rock chips. When I had a black 01 monte carlo I had a bottle of black turtle wax rock chip and scratch remover and did great filling those little white nicks. Im not sure if turtle wax makes some of that in different colors though.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bones_c
Ok first and foremost i am wondering how to wash wax buff detail etc under the spoiler of my 99 trans am... do you guys take it off or something? i am going to buy a PC dual action and i am curious.
When I do a detail, I use the PC on the outermost rear part of the hatch (as far in as you can get it) then I do the rest under there by hand. You can't really see under there so it gets the job done. If you wanna go all out, remove the spoiler from the hatch and go to town.

Second i do not have pictures but i will post pics when i get home on if i can buff and polish them out and if not what my options are.
I'm assuming these are scratches? Run your fingernail over the scratch, if it gets caught, chances are you won't be able to get it out 100%. If your fingernail just barely catches in it, you can probably buff it out to where it's barely noticeable. If it's through your color (primer showing inside scratch) you can either fill it in with touch up kits (followed by wetsand and polish) or the panel would need a repaint. Which would consist of sanding through the scratch, priming that area, putting a base color coat, and clearing the whole panel.

Third i have a few spots where clear coat has bubbled and been taken off i believe. What can i do to fix this problem?
There's a reason some people call it "clear coat cancer." A bit harsh but true, once it starts it just spreads and gets worse. You can try to wetsand with 1500/2000 grit to even down the edges where it keeps peeling from, or it would need to be prepped & re-cleared.

also what is your guys method to removing sticky residue from a sticker i presume (previous owner) seems like it has been there for years i tryed a razor blade and it knicked the paint before i got any residue off.. this is located on the rear plastic bumper.

Thanks in advance!!
Isopropyl alcohol, goo gone, wax & grease remover.. take your pick! Be sure to put another coat of wax over the area when you're done.

That's all from my experience.. I could be wrong. There's more than one way to skin a cat.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:52 PM
TECH Regular

Yes they are some scratches and rock chips... I must have missed that little detail when I wrote the post... Lol
Old 10-14-2011, 10:22 PM
TECH Junkie

I'd recommend removing it. I did that on the 91hr Trans Am restoration detail. Only 4 bolts and was really easy and made the rest of the work much easier.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
I'd recommend removing it. I did that on the 91hr Trans Am restoration detail. Only 4 bolts and was really easy and made the rest of the work much easier.
Do you have a thread about this said T/A?
Old 10-14-2011, 11:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Do you have a thread about this said T/A?
*Be warned, it is extremely picture heavy!* Only click if you have a high speed connection

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...en-warned.html
Old 10-15-2011, 02:16 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by bones_c
Yes they are some scratches and rock chips... I must have missed that little detail when I wrote the post... Lol
If your handy you can use some gloss black duplicolor (or krylon) paint. Spray it in the cap or a plastic cup, use the back of a match (opposite of burning end) dip it into the paint, and then VERY lightly touch inside the chip. It should fill it in, but be prepared to wetsand (2000 grit) to level it out. Then polish it up. Try it on an inconspicuous chip first.

Quick Reply: detailing the spoiler, rock chips? Clear coat question