Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CA Emissions and Hooker LT's

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 02:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy CA Emissions and Hooker LT's

I'm installing a GMMG vat back this friday and am considering Hooker SLP's next. I found a garage that says they can swap out the Hooers with stock parts prior to smog check, then re-nstall the Hookers. Has anyone tried doing this in CA? I'm willing to spend the extra money every two years in order to get the performance, but I want to make sure I really will be able to pass smog when the time comes. Are there installation issues that would make this 'swap out' every two years not work?

Thanks - Catherine
p.s. I've never did a header installation before so I don't know what all is involved - so I'm counting on the fact that the shop knows what the heck they are doing.
Old 03-09-2004, 03:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That should work no problem and your mechanic will love the regular work as that will cost around 200+ every smog check time. I'd consider what you plan to do with the car though before you go the header route in CA. The gains may not be worth the trouble unless you are going to go all out. I dont know if you mind driving a loud cars, but the GMMG with headers is LOUD, especially without cats.
Old 03-09-2004, 04:09 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ssGirl
I'm installing a GMMG vat back this friday and am considering Hooker SLP's next. I found a garage that says they can swap out the Hooers with stock parts prior to smog check, then re-nstall the Hookers. Has anyone tried doing this in CA? I'm willing to spend the extra money every two years in order to get the performance, but I want to make sure I really will be able to pass smog when the time comes. Are there installation issues that would make this 'swap out' every two years not work?

Thanks - Catherine
p.s. I've never did a header installation before so I don't know what all is involved - so I'm counting on the fact that the shop knows what the heck they are doing.
It would be cheaper and less hassle to find yourself a shadey smog man every two years, rather then go through all that mess.
Old 03-09-2004, 05:00 PM
Staging Lane

i lived in cali for 7 years...you will pass emisions if you have lt's and cat's..as long as they don't do visual..but then again swapping headers every 2 years would be a pain in the butt! besides most don't even look under the car..they just strap it on the smog rollers..hope that helps a little
Old 03-09-2004, 05:09 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by marcus26
i lived in cali for 7 years...you will pass emisions if you have lt's and cat's..as long as they don't do visual..but then again swapping headers every 2 years would be a pain in the butt! besides most don't even look under the car..they just strap it on the smog rollers..hope that helps a little
every place i go looks under my hood
Old 03-09-2004, 06:00 PM
On The Tree

Me too every time Ive gone to a smog station they hassle me cause Im young. The guy ussually crawls under my car on both sides and is looking under the hood for a good 8-10 min. Smog guys are ******* in my area. I too want to do long tubes, But I do have an idea up my sleve that I got from and old friend.

ALSO WHO IS ssGIRL? WHAT CITY ARE YOU FROM, OR AREA? IM NOT A CREEP I JUST THINK THAT IT IS AWSOME THAT A GIRL HAS A LS1! PS WHAT COLOR IS YOUR CAR?
Old 03-09-2004, 06:05 PM
Teching In

I live in the Bay Area - San Jose to be exact. I've always wanted a muscle car and now I'm finally doing it. Maybe my midlife crisis : ) I'm trying to learn as much as I an from the boards because you can't always trust car mechanics you don't know. I've had some bad experiences in the past. Anyway - the boards have been a great help and I have learned a lot about cat backs and headers.

Originally Posted by OCSSleeper
Me too every time Ive gone to a smog station they hassle me cause Im young. The guy ussually crawls under my car on both sides and is looking under the hood for a good 8-10 min. Smog guys are ******* in my area. I too want to do long tubes, But I do have an idea up my sleve that I got from and old friend.

ALSO WHO IS ssGIRL? WHAT CITY ARE YOU FROM, OR AREA? IM NOT A CREEP I JUST THINK THAT IT IS AWSOME THAT A GIRL HAS A LS1! PS WHAT COLOR IS YOUR CAR?