Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big Scare....

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 02:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Scare....

I ran the shootout in indy last weekend and went out early. I made a total of 7 passes and when I started it to load it in the trailer it sounded like a metal on metal squeek then started knocking. I thought it was the flex plate so I started there and it was OK, took the Drivers side valve cover off and all of the springs looked OK, retainers all OK, I drained the oil and cut the filter and not a single sign of bearing failure. I was putting the plugs back in and noticed some black around the front exhaust port above the header flange, the damn bolts came loose enough that the gasket pushed out and it was leaking, sounded just like a rod knocking... Praise to the car Gods. I put a new gasket in and tightened it all up and no knocking...
Old 10-15-2011, 08:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Damn man - cool story. Sounds like you have been around an engine before, haha. I would have posted here all whining and crying my car was broken and taken a week to fix it.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:28 AM
12 Second Club

Same thing happened to me a couple weeks before the Shootout.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:11 PM
Teching In

I had a similar noise on my harley, shat myself so shut it down and got a mate to pick me and the bike up, got it home, did all the same stuff, then I found the air filter cover was loose!!, no more rattles, but my ute still has one on the RH side, have been threw it changing bushes as I go along, thought I had it sorted, but its Back and worse than ever, so time to see rip it all apart again.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same thing, I thought that I had crapped the motor turns out it was the air tube fixture had blown off the header.