Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How much noise from rod ended LCA's is normal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 05:36 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much noise from rod ended LCA's is normal?

I've got adj. LCA's and relocation brackets with a rod end on the side that attached to the frame and a poly bushing on the side that attaches to the rear. I've got some shims made out of a spacer and some washers on the rod end side and the noise is substantially increased over stock, however on the drivers side it clucks really loudly to the point you think something is horribly loose. However when I look everything appears tight and when I grab the lca and really yank on it...it hardly moves a fraction of an inch. Thoughts?
Old 10-15-2011, 07:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That cause your supposed to have the poly end on the frame and the rod end on your rear if im not mistaken. I have poly/rod end EVERYTHING and is VERY quite.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:03 PM
11 Second Club

I had so much noise from my rod end LCA,s I couldn't stand it. I got the roto joint/poly. Wow what a difference in noise. No more clunks and they are still rigid enough to offer great traction.

Try switching yours around and see how it works. It will probably be a lot better, Also put some grease on the joints to help with noise.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 147 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by MNBlade
I had so much noise from my rod end LCA,s I couldn't stand it. I got the roto joint/poly. Wow what a difference in noise. No more clunks and they are still rigid enough to offer great traction.

Try switching yours around and see how it works. It will probably be a lot better, Also put some grease on the joints to help with noise.

Don't put grease on a rod end. Use silicone based lube, grease will trap dirt, wear out the race faster, and then it'll really clunk like hell. Rod ends make noise, that is their nature. That's why you really have to consider the use for your car. If this is completely, or mostly, a street car rubber bushings are the way to go.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:49 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lees02WS6
Don't put grease on a rod end. Use silicone based lube, grease will trap dirt, wear out the race faster, and then it'll really clunk like hell. Rod ends make noise, that is their nature. That's why you really have to consider the use for your car. If this is completely, or mostly, a street car rubber bushings are the way to go.
True, I meant on the bushing end, with the grease zerk.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:06 AM
Launching!

Thanks guys, I followed an online write up when I installed them but I will try switching them around and see how that helps. Thanks!
Old 10-16-2011, 02:44 PM
On The Tree

Default Shock Adjustment May Help

I've got double rod-ended LCAs, Strano springs, and Koni adjustable shocks. I know this may seem counter-intuitive, but my LCAs got quieter once I adjusted the shocks to increase the firmness (yes, increased the firmness. I'm now running full firm on my rear shocks). Hard to put into words, but it sorta feels like the rear axle isn't "flopping" around as much when hitting bumps and such.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a miraculous change, just noticeably less noise and less intense. Since these things are subjective, my point is it's worth a try if you've got adjustable shocks.

Mark.

Quick Reply: How much noise from rod ended LCA's is normal?