Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

SPEC Stage 3 Clutch Finally installed, New Tailshaft on T-56

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 12:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SPEC Stage 3 Clutch Finally installed, New Tailshaft on T-56

So, I've finally gotten my cracked tailshaft replaced as well as the SPEC Stage 3 clutch I've had laying around installed. This is one of their original clutches from years ago, not the SPEC Stage 3+ unfortunately.

I also got a remote bleeder from Tick Performance.....and all I can say is one of the single best product's I've purchased for this car! I also got a new pilot bearing, slave cylinder, tailshaft housing, and slave shim 3-pack. I'll be ordering a Tick Adjustable Master Cylinder soon enough.

The transmission was certainly a PITA to get back in once everything was installed, I worked on it for what seemed like hours, I couldn't get it in the last 1". My buddy came over who's installed countless transmissions and it was up and being bolted up in under 20 minutes. Someone with experience is def. a plus if you've never installed one yourself, and this was the first time I had my transmission out of the car. I didn't put a shim in because after reading the popular post "Does your clutch setup need a shim" and the resulting measurements came out to exactly .225 (which was in-between the recommended .175 - .225). I had a new T.O. bearing that came with the SPEC clutch as well as one with the new slave from Tick, and decided to go with the one from Tick as this put the measurement at .225. I cleaned the flywheel and pressure plate with brake cleaner very very well, being that it was so old and had a tiny bit of oxidation/rust spost from moisture that must have gotten on it over the years, and used new gloves to install them.

The clutch pedal feels very similar to the stock clutch, it doesn't engage right off the floor but a little bit after that. Almost midway. I'm hoping to adjust this with the Tick Adjustable Master, and thinking I could have been spot-on if I put a shim in.

Overall, after the install and the very first drive, there was some considerable vibration when starting in 1st and shifting to 2nd/3rd but I was going very slow and around the neighborhood. I took it out on the street yesterday and it seems the vibration or possible clutch chatter is very minimal and it's shifting nicely through all gears. All in all it feels good, but I won't have an opportunity to tell fully until I start driving it around regularly again, which could be a month or so.

A huge thank you to Tick Performance for the speed bleeder product. Saved me hours and a huge headache bleeding the clutch the traditional old-fashioned way.
Here are a few pics:
You can notice the tiny bit of oxidation that got on one of the clutch pads in this pic. It was the only spot.

Pressure Plate installed.

Tailshaft Fitting.

Tailshaft Seal.

Transmission, without slave.

She finally sees the sun after being cooped up in a garage for 2+ years!

Thanks all for the help, and invaluable information on this site!

Last edited by NVE THIS; 10-17-2011 at 12:18 PM.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:13 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow...talk about a blast from the past. Those parts have to be ~9 years old (mid 2002). Chatter is normal in 1st and reverse when leaving from a stop and this is more noticible on these older style kits than it would be on currently produced parts. That being said the pieces look to be in good shape for their age! Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!

Last edited by SPEC-01; 10-19-2011 at 10:19 AM.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:35 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
Wow...talk about a blast from the past. Those parts have to be ~9 years old (mid 2002). Chatter is normal in 1st and reverse when leaving from a stop and this is more noticible on these older style kits than it would be on currently produced parts. That being said the pieces look to be in good shape for their age! Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!
Agreed! It's been a long time since I saw a pressure plate that color from SPEC!

Thank you for the kind words (and the business) NVE THIS!

Quick Reply: SPEC Stage 3 Clutch Finally installed, New Tailshaft on T-56