Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

WTB: T56 Bellhousing for LS1 DeLorean Swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 03:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTB: T56 Bellhousing for LS1 DeLorean Swap

For my LS1 DeLorean project, I need to mate the T56 Bellhousing to the Renault transmission.

I'm familiar with this bellhousing:
http://www.keislerauto.com/vmchk/gm/...ypage_acc.html

However if possible I'd prefer to use a T56 bellhousing because if I'm not mistaken, it's .5" shallower than this one^. When I called, they told me the Keisler one was 6.5" and I believe the T56 one is either 6" or less. Because the original DeLorean bellhousing was only 4.6" deep space is certainly an issue so I'll take it wherever I can. Especially since I'm going to have to put a plate between the DeLorean transmission and bellhousing on top of the already taller bellhousing.

Anyone have one for sale? Otherwise, anyone know where online they can be picked up? (Not really looking to buy one of the $500 SFI rated blowproof ones; stock is more than enough)
Old 10-17-2011, 04:05 PM
Banned

The T56 bellhousing is completely different than the standard chevy passenger car bellhousing you have shown. Basically you are needing something to bolt up your Renault trans to a LS1 engine correct?
Old 10-17-2011, 05:54 PM
Teching In

Correct. Thing is that the Volvo transmission is such a unique bolt pattern, and actually has the transaxle protruding into where the original volvo bellhousing would be, that in order to mate to any bellhousing, an adapter plate will have to be made. At this point, as long as it bolts to an LS1, I'm not to picky with bellhousings because I can tailor the bolt pattern on the adapter plate to whatever bellhousing is used. Right now, the most important aspect to me is bellhousing depth. As far as I know, the T56 bellhousing is the shallowest which is why I'm wanting to buy one of them.

(just for reference, this is what I mean about the transaxle protruding into the bellhousing. If you look at the bellhousing on the bench, you can see that grooves were cast into it to allow space for the gear. That will have to be replicated in my adapter plate.)
Old 10-18-2011, 06:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm thinking that a LT-1 pull style of clutch will give you the lowest profile. That way you can use a external slave. Not sure how you are not going to have to use the Volvo Bell housing other wise your inpute shaft won't be long enought by the time you mate a wet adapter plate too the LT-1 bell AND! put a clutch behind it all That's why I don't think your trans input shaft will be long enought. I think your going to have to use the Volvo Bell and adapt from it to the LS-1 block.

Hummmmmmmmm!
Old 10-18-2011, 10:27 AM
Teching In

The problem with the volvo bellhousing is that its only designed to fit a 12" flywheel so it's rather small. I'd much rather use the LS1 flywheel/clutch system. Because of this I pretty much have to use a bellhousing made for the LS1.

Is there a bellhousing that mates to the LS1 that is designed to use a clutch fork with an external slave cylinder? If so I'm interested if it will save me some space. Otherwise, still looking for the t56.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:12 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Try these guys regarding bell & extended maindrive shafts:
http://www.gtoracing.co.uk/parts.php?page=4 ?

The starter pocket looks like it will hold a 168 tooth (LS_ sized) flywheel.
Even if not, pretty sure McLeod 153 option was mentioned in your last thread.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The LT-1 bell is for iron blacks and won't fit the LS-1. but the LT-1 Pressure plate uses a pull style release with a external slave that would save you room inside the bell so you would not have to use a HYD slave on the main shaft to release a push release PP. Your stuck with having a custom bell machined any way you go. $$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 10-18-2011, 02:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jmd
Try these guys regarding bell & extended maindrive shafts:
http://www.gtoracing.co.uk/parts.php?page=4 ?

The starter pocket looks like it will hold a 168 tooth (LS_ sized) flywheel.
Even if not, pretty sure McLeod 153 option was mentioned in your last thread.

A 153T would be helpfull in gaining room. Another problem I see is the starter pocket is on the wrong side of the motor
Old 10-18-2011, 02:28 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by toadzq8
A 153T would be helpfull in gaining room. Another problem I see is the starter pocket is on the wrong side of the motor
What in the DMC would prevent stock LS_/Chev starter placement?
Old 10-18-2011, 03:10 PM
Teching In

I've contacted the GTO guys, they'll make one but there has to be at least an order of 5 or more for them to do so. Pretty damn pricey. I still think my best bet is to machine a plate between a standard LS1 bellhousing. I could probably still use the hydraulic cylinder style slave if I had to.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I mentioned it in your guy's intro thread..how hard would it to make that DeLorean front-engine RWD?

What resources do you guys have?

Originally Posted by toadzq8
The LT-1 bell is for iron blacks and won't fit the LS-1. but the LT-1 Pressure plate uses a pull style release with a external slave that would save you room inside the bell so you would not have to use a HYD slave on the main shaft to release a push release PP. Your stuck with having a custom bell machined any way you go. $$$$$$$$$$$$
I got $5 says I can bolt a LT1 Bell Housing to a LS1..any of them except the LS4...
Old 10-18-2011, 08:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by the_merv
I mentioned it in your guy's intro thread..how hard would it to make that DeLorean front-engine RWD?
Next to impossible. Theres no depth for an engine in the front. The trunk is currently there and is only between 4 and 8 inches deep. Directly underneith is a crumple zone housing the steering rack and a triangular gas tank inside the double wishbone frame.

DeLorean - Fiberglass tub =

Not to mention the weight distribution would be beyond F***ed up.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:07 PM
11 Second Club

Ewww..I got ya..

Different Frame..
Old 10-19-2011, 07:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by the_merv

What resources do you guys have?

I got $5 says I can bolt a LT1 Bell Housing to a LS1..any of them except the LS4...

If that's the case it would be a better start because it would have the fork ball and be setup for the external slave. I'm sure you can find someone who would make you a 11" disc with the correct spline count.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:59 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS1DeLorean
I've contacted the GTO guys, they'll make one but there has to be at least an order of 5 or more for them to do so. Pretty damn pricey. I still think my best bet is to machine a plate between a standard LS1 bellhousing. I could probably still use the hydraulic cylinder style slave if I had to.
Did they at least have available maindrive (input) shafts available at low quantity? In 26 spline, at that?

I think that's going to determine whether you can fit the depth of a stock Chevy bell/adapter plate.

If a usable input is available and you can get the clutch hub spline changed to match or they make it with 26spline, I think you could:
  • mill the back off a 168 tooth compatible Chevy bell
  • TIG 1/4" plate to it to set the depth to match with their input
  • drill that plate to bolt to the trans
  • add clearance to the plate for the ring gear
  • recess a pocket for throwout bearing/slave as the design comes together
  • cover any other internal fitment concerns like the maindrive tube

A longer input would help to allow for a deeper bell. But, if you did a shallow bell w/ the plate TIG'd on, it might all come together by making room for everything.

What other measurements do you have besides bell depth? You're gonna end up with a few ways to do this but making room for the ring gear, pressure plate and throwout bearing will be key.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:14 AM
11 Second Club

Updates on this?
Old 10-24-2011, 01:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless I am way off base, an LS1 is going to murder that transmission if you get everything else worked out.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:28 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
Unless I am way off base, an LS1 is going to murder that transmission if you get everything else worked out.
Already addressed in his last thread.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:30 PM
Teching In

We'll see. Renault rates this transmission for up to 350hp. The GT40 guys typically use this transmission in their replicas so they've definitely been put to the test. There are also also several steps you can take to increase the strength of the transmission exponentially. Each of which I am going to or have already done. If in the end it really chews it up, I'll look for a Porsche transmission. Dont get me wrong, I wish I could get one now but it's just not in the budget.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Would there be a way to make room at the other end of the engine to allow for a more bellhouse depth? I'm thinking along the lines of using a transverse LS engine (Grand Prix 5.3 V8 or similar), which has a front drive /accessory system that's closer to the engine than you're typical Corvette, F-body or truck.

Quick Reply: WTB: T56 Bellhousing for LS1 DeLorean Swap