Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Ive out grown the bottle....

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 05:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ive out grown the bottle....

2 weeks ago i spun a rod bearing. I was all but set on a rebuild with a forged bottom end with more nitrous.........BUT i think im done with spray now. ive spent the last few days in the fi section looking at stickys, builds, etc. this is REALLY what i want to do. I see there are alot of "budget" type builds using truck manifolds that make some power. that being said, i think im going to re use my block and start with a forged 347ci motor that can handle some boost. here are some things im wondering about.

intake & tb - im assuming my ls6 intake / stock tb are fine, as a fast setup is a little pricey and thats money i could put elsewhere in the build?

camshaft - its a 230 / 230 .613 .592 111 probably doesnt need to go back in correct?

Heads - TFS as cast 220's. Its looking like people are using 317 or 243 heads on their builds. What should i do with mine keep or swap??

and the research continues.......
Old 10-17-2011, 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

ill let you know how the el toro does with boost.. haha.

dont change the heads. Keep them and spend that money elsewhere, youll need it. those are already great heads and much better 317s
Old 10-17-2011, 06:03 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ryans99ls1
ill let you know how the el toro does with boost.. haha.

dont change the heads. Keep them and spend that money elsewhere, youll need it. those are already great heads and much better 317s
you using this cam with your build??? thats what i was assuming about the heads. just figured it wouldnt hurt to ask.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:30 PM
11 Second Club

People use 317's to lower the compression of the engine. But since you are putting different pistons in you can do it that way
Old 10-17-2011, 06:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Yes, keep those heads, good set of aftermarket heads with a thick deck will help loads with keeping the heads down if you plan to get crazy. So you got that covered already.

Welcome to the dark side
Old 10-17-2011, 06:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Make sure and do your fuel system upgrades. What size of turbo are you thinking? LS6 is fine (mighty mouse has ran his for years) and the stock throttle body is fine too unless you just want to spend 175-300 bucks on that. Mine is stock and makes good power. Bigger isnt always better with FI, especially when your just getting going. I know you dont have God money but really sit down and think about your long term goals and plan accordingly, it will cost a little more now but you will save a ton down the road and the headache later as well. Wish I would have but Im always trying to get mine back together asap. Leave your heads on the car also, your cam will work but if it was me I would sell it and get one specd for your new set-up. Im no expert but if you need any help let me know. Good luck
Old 10-17-2011, 06:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Brad Who????????????
Old 10-17-2011, 07:04 PM
12 Second Club

As cast flow about the same as ported 317s.

If I did it again I would get the TF heads, 9.0-9.5 compression, ls9 gaskets, ls6 intake/TB, Speed Tu2 cam, truck manifolds and a precision 76gts.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:42 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mr_biscuitz
Make sure and do your fuel system upgrades. What size of turbo are you thinking? LS6 is fine (mighty mouse has ran his for years) and the stock throttle body is fine too unless you just want to spend 175-300 bucks on that. Mine is stock and makes good power. Bigger isnt always better with FI, especially when your just getting going. I know you dont have God money but really sit down and think about your long term goals and plan accordingly, it will cost a little more now but you will save a ton down the road and the headache later as well. Wish I would have but Im always trying to get mine back together asap. Leave your heads on the car also, your cam will work but if it was me I would sell it and get one specd for your new set-up. Im no expert but if you need any help let me know. Good luck
ok ill just run my intake / tb setup. the car is at davids so he knows a litttle more about turbo stuff than i do. more than likely ill sell my cam and get a custom ground one thats maybe a little more boost friendly. goal wise im really not sure. i wanted to do something with a 200shot that would put me at 600hp so id kinda like to make that with this turbo setup. david said it shouldnt be a problem.

Originally Posted by mr_biscuitz
Brad Who????????????
yeah for real. also, 223firewhat??? hahaha.

Originally Posted by Sluggish
As cast flow about the same as ported 317s.

If I did it again I would get the TF heads, 9.0-9.5 compression, ls9 gaskets, ls6 intake/TB, Speed Tu2 cam, truck manifolds and a precision 76gts.
317's would be cheaper. if they flow the same as what i have shouldnt i sell mine and go that route??
Old 10-17-2011, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by SSmoken
you using this cam with your build??? thats what i was assuming about the heads. just figured it wouldnt hurt to ask.
yes sir. From the research ive done over the past couple years, i have yet to see a great N/A cam do bad with boost. That being said, cams that are spec'd for turbo app's also do well(duh). Boost really seems to make up for a lot of things that are so crucial in N/A setups. Timing and fuel seem to be the biggest factors in the turbo world. If you are gonna come out money ahead by selling the as-casts and going with 317s then do it. but i honestly would keep them. If you ever decided to send them to TEA they would be well ahead of ported 317s.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I wouldnt go to a stock casting over an aftermarket head never, the deck will eventually cause problems. You already have them so just build on them, if your not going all out its not going to kill you either way but I know how you get into grudge racing with your local speed racers and I feel like the thicker deck will end up being your friend. And your def going to hit 600, not a problem there. Just if you can keep that little 10 bolt happy. I would consider a 76- up to a pt88.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:33 PM
12 Second Club

317's would be cheaper. if they flow the same as what i have shouldnt i sell mine and go that route??
The Trickflows will flow the same unported as the 317s do ported. So if you ever want to improved them just send them to TEA. You want an aftermarket casting for the thicker deck surface.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:39 PM
11 Second Club

Ok then I'm keeping the heads. I'm not sure how hard it will leave. Mine cut 1.5xs on motor and 1.45. I definitely want to preserve it lol.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:23 AM
11 Second Club

I've got a 4l60e rated at 700hp. How far can I potentially push this turbo setup??
Old 10-18-2011, 12:58 PM
On The Tree

seems like everything you have would work fine. just make sure to get some bigger injectors and fuel pump(s). a single walboro with a KB boost a pump would do fine for 600hp. make sure you have a good trans cooler and dont go into OD while WOT in Boost.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok then I'm keeping the heads. I'm not sure how hard it will leave. Mine cut 1.5xs on motor and 1.45. I definitely want to preserve it lol.
Man!, you changed you mind again I see. You've come to the real darkside though! Its just too easy to make power on boost. With your heads and a good cam you will see 600 with no problem.

A friend of mine has a camaro with a stock truck lq4 6.0 and a Brutespeed blower cam (used to be EPP cam) and he made a little over 500 rwhp on 6.5 psi of boost thru a 6 spd.

You're headed in the right direction with the forged 347 and keeping your heads. As for your cam, try it and see how it works. I would get something a little more boost friendly, personally.

You have an auto so your 10 bolt will live for awhile. Fuel system wise I would look into the dual intank stick at the top of this section or the fuel section. That setup is good for stupid hp. Mightymouse runs 3 intank Walbro's and he runs 8.70's like that. Good luck man, do it right and your car will be sick!

I almost for got you will need some bigger injectors too. You will need a minimum of a 60lb injector in my book.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do at least 2 pumps, and I would look at the FIC injectors and I personally would buy something a lil bigger than the 60's so you have room to grow. Boost is very addicting, and with more comes more fuel demand. Dont forget about your FPR and get one thats boost referenced. Thats if you dont already have one.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:21 PM
11 Second Club

hahaha yeah i changed my mind. never really considered a turbo setup because it figured it was out of my price range. then i noticed some budget builds that were pretty interesting. yes, i figured my fuel setup was no where near what it needs to be lol.

another thing, my converter is a 3500. good, bad, or average??

gears are 3.73.

Last edited by SSmoken; 10-18-2011 at 05:31 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine is 4k and pretty sure Robs is around 4500 but it really depends on your total set-up and goals. and the gears will be fine until you start making a lil more power and then they will only put a damper on traction but can still be had but will have to turn it a lil higher. The higher gears will help with spool time a lil also but I wouldnt worry about changing them until you get a new rear end
Old 10-18-2011, 07:41 PM
11 Second Club

i guess ill leave my converter in there then. im not sure how much power itll end up making when its done. nothing close to yours lol.

Quick Reply: Ive out grown the bottle....