Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

G-body Drag Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 01:29 AM
11 Second Club

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Default G-body Drag Suspension

I'm wanting to setup the MCSS to where it's hookin nice on the track.

Right now I have UMI Boxed Lowers & Adjustable Uppers so I can tweak the Pinion Angle.

I have Eiback Springs and Bilstein Shocks..I know the Shocks will have to be changed out.

I want 90/10 Shocks in the front and some good adjustables in the back..what are some good ones that some of you guys have ran?

I have 28" wrinkle wall Hoosier Drag Radials I just got, MVB TH350 with a 4500 Stall..tryin to get this car into the 10's on motor.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:57 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been watching your build thread over the past few years... its a very nice project you have there! We even use one of your install pictures on our site

Have you made any passes with your current set up? If so what times and 60' times?

Are you looking to completely remove the Bilstein shocks for a more drag oriented shock? What about lowering springs, do you plan on leaving them on?

We have been using the new QA1's and been having great luck but I don't know what your budget is. For a drag/street car we would run QA1's in the rear with stock springs and a QA1 coil over in the front with the correct rate spring, depending on street use we use the "R" series shock as well. Again I didn't how serious you were looking to go.

Supply us a little more details and we are glad to help as well as others I am sure. Thanks!
Ryan
Old 10-18-2011, 10:54 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks, I just noticed that..that pic looks good..

I'm looking into pulling the Shocks and running an adjustable setup..the Eibach Springs will stay in there..they are stiffer than stock, but arent too hard to where I'm concerned. I do know the Shocks will have to get swapped out..Bilsteins are great on the street, not really allowing weight transfer though. I do have your guy's boxed lowers and adjustable uppers, like mentioned.

My best 60 ft times with the Auto setup were low 1.6's, and that was 3/4 pedal out of the hole and hitting it to the floor as soon as I was passing the tree. If I mashed it full throttle at first the stall would flash up and the car would spin, all my friends watching it said there was no weight transfer at all..basically nothing was getting planted onto the rear tires. I watched the videos and I saw the same.

Here is a video of one of my passes..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ysct8ubVSVg

The first pass is full throttle out of the hole..just spins and goes sideways. It did this several more times so I figured out how to 3/4 pedal it and you will see it leaves alot better, but very little movement in the suspension.

I needed a 28" tire for the 1/4 so I have that to help, the gearing is correct to run it out into the 1/4, it just needs the suspension now.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:01 AM
11 Second Club

Lookin for input on some good shocks here..
Old 10-19-2011, 08:37 PM
11 Second Club

Bump...

Last edited by the_merv; 10-19-2011 at 09:33 PM.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey ben, i have done alot od research and like ryan i am going to use the QA1 adjustable rear and the coilovers in the front. i have had some goos experience installing them on other cars and they make a world of a difference. i woud personally get a stock spring back in the rear if you are going to basicly keep that car more track then street.

Yes you are right. alot of people on tech are just people that can read about parts and dont really know what they do . there is a difference on knowing how to bolt on parts and knowing how they all work together.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:12 PM
11 Second Club

I'm leaning toward the Strange Adjustables or the QA1's..but it would be nice to get some tips & input on how to set this thing up to ****** rock..I see the G-bodies all the time at the track launching hard, mine just spins..
Old 10-19-2011, 09:16 PM
Teching In

well the when your at the track and there is another MCSS running ask them. i have no experience with setting up a MC but im sure its the same as anuthing else loose rear push up front. do you have a front sway bar? if so disconnet it at the track that helps alot too
Old 10-19-2011, 09:21 PM
11 Second Club

Front gets disconnected..I try to get the front loose as possible..the Bilsteins dont help, I figured that much.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:27 PM
Teching In

well getting the coilovers or a 90-10 shock will help out alot as you already know. your good around cars man you will figure it out. i would wait to see what its going to do to the 28's you never know they might hook a 26in tire to a 28in tire makes a big difference too
Old 10-19-2011, 09:32 PM
11 Second Club

I want it to be rockin out of the hole..low 1.5 60 ft times are right in my reach..that is what I want with that car.

I just bought these to help..

http://bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&productid=28

Last edited by the_merv; 10-20-2011 at 01:28 AM.

Quick Reply: G-body Drag Suspension