Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What kind of low beams are these??

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 06:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face What kind of low beams are these??

I have been wanting to change the stock low-beams that came in my halo projectors but I do not know what kind of bulbs they are. They look like the same ones in my fogs but I am not sure.

Can anyone tell me what these bulbs are/model number so I can buy some proper xenon ones. Thanks a bunch

Old 10-18-2011, 06:40 PM
On The Tree

H1 bulb .. all aftermarket headlights come with these
Old 10-18-2011, 09:40 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6_101
Yes they are H1, but not all aftermarket headlights use them. They just happen to be a common size for ebay projectors.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VIP1
Yes they are H1, but not all aftermarket headlights use them. They just happen to be a common size for ebay projectors.
^ 2x on this. I had em come in a set of "projectors" I had when I bought them off eBay and I don't think it was the bulb but rather the headlight itself but they freakin suck.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WS6_101
Originally Posted by 9WhiteCamaro9
^ 2x on this. I had em come in a set of "projectors" I had when I bought them off eBay and I don't think it was the bulb but rather the headlight itself but they freakin suck.
Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback.

Anyone know a reputable site/manufacturer where I could purchase some decent quality bulbs? Also I want the best longevity and look, should I do actuall HID kits with a ballast or just use bulbs like PIAA or Phillips?

Last edited by Raoul-Duke; 10-19-2011 at 09:53 AM.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In order to get good light out of them, I ended up installed a set of 5k HID's when I took them out of my car and put them in my fiancee's car. I ended up tried like two or three different brand/style bulbs that Wal-Mart had to offer and none of them to me were any better than the previous set.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 9WhiteCamaro9
In order to get good light out of them, I ended up installed a set of 5k HID's when I took them out of my car and put them in my fiancee's car. I ended up tried like two or three different brand/style bulbs that Wal-Mart had to offer and none of them to me were any better than the previous set.
Where did you get the 5k HID's from? I just want to buy some decent quality ones that arent gonna crap out on me real soon
Old 10-19-2011, 01:56 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

The only way to get better output halogen would be to get XtremePower or VisionPlus bulbs (which I think are Osram & Phillips respectively) or some other similar bulb (watch out for fakes on ebay).

Or get a Catz Zeta kit to boost the halogen output. It feeds the bulbs 15+V instead of the stock 13.8, but that means more heat and shorter life.

Are these projectors? If so, a good alternative is an HID kit. Stick with 4300K or 5000K for the best output. The higher #K bulbs are bluer/purpler but also dimmer.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The only way to get better output halogen would be to get XtremePower or VisionPlus bulbs (which I think are Osram & Phillips respectively) or some other similar bulb (watch out for fakes on ebay).

Or get a Catz Zeta kit to boost the halogen output. It feeds the bulbs 15+V instead of the stock 13.8, but that means more heat and shorter life.

Are these projectors? If so, a good alternative is an HID kit. Stick with 4300K or 5000K for the best output. The higher #K bulbs are bluer/purpler but also dimmer.
Yes they are projector, so you think it would be better to go with HID huh. Are they really that much brighter than the Phillips or Osram? and how much dimmer would it really be from the difference of 5000k-10000k? Thanks and sorry for all the questions
Old 10-19-2011, 03:19 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by Raoul-Duke
Yes they are projector, so you think it would be better to go with HID huh. Are they really that much brighter than the Phillips or Osram? and how much dimmer would it really be from the difference of 5000k-10000k? Thanks and sorry for all the questions
Depending on the halogen bulb used for comparison, HID is 50% - 100% brighter.

An H1 halogen bulb is often rated at 1550 lumen,
A good 4300K HID setup is often rated at 3200 lumen.
(Many cheap ebay HID kits are lower than that, but still much higher than Halogen)

The brightest normal Halogen bulb you can get is a H9 which is 2100 lumen. There is no way it will fit in place of a H1 though because it is shaped quite differently.

The problem with higher K bulbs is not just the drop in brightness, but also the color of the light is less useful. A crap ebay HID kit at 8000K will still be brighter than Halogen, but only by a little and the color will be straining on the eyes so its worse than sticking with Halogen. 10000K & 12000K are just horrible. Of course, there will be people that disagree because they "love the color", but its physics and biology that they are fighting a loosing battle with.

Also, Halogen projectors are designed differently than HID projectors and spread the light differently. However some Halogen projectors handle HID OK, some don't (the cheap H3 projectors on ebay don't, but they suck with a Halogen bulb too.). Some H1 projectors on ebay are passable, but pale in comparison to a true HID projector.

In short, HID kits on ebay cost about the same as good Halogen bulbs, so its worth a shot to try.

Last edited by VIP1; 10-19-2011 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Depending on the halogen bulb used for comparison, HID is 50% - 100% brighter.

An H1 halogen bulb is often rated at 1550 lumen,
A good 4300K HID setup is often rated at 3200 lumen.
(Many cheap ebay HID kits are lower than that, but still much higher than Halogen)

The brightest normal Halogen bulb you can get is a H9 which is 2100 lumen. There is no way it will fit in place of a H1 though because it is shaped quite differently.

The problem with higher K bulbs is not just the drop in brightness, but also the color of the light is less useful. A crap ebay HID kit at 8000K will still be brighter than Halogen, but only by a little and the color will be straining on the eyes so its worse than sticking with Halogen. 10000K & 12000K are just horrible. Of course, there will be people that disagree because they "love the color", but its physics and biology that they are fighting a loosing battle with.

Also, Halogen projectors are designed differently than HID projectors and spread the light differently. However some Halogen projectors handle HID OK, some don't (the cheap H3 projectors on ebay don't, but they suck with a Halogen bulb too.). Some H1 projectors on ebay are passable, but pale in comparison to a true HID projector.

In short, HID kits on ebay cost about the same as good Halogen bulbs, so its worth a shot to try.
okay then I am definitely going with HID around something between 5-6k. You know anywhere with good reputable HID kits? I found a few googling around but Im seeing if you know of any
Old 10-19-2011, 06:22 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

okay then I am definitely going with HID around something between 5-6k. You know anywhere with good reputable HID kits? I found a few googling around but Im seeing if you know of any
I've bought from DDM tuning in the past, but I've heard some bad things about them recently. However, they are fast & cheap.

Some others on here have bought from some ebay sellers. I don't remember their names, but you should be able to find them by searching on here.

The Retrofit Source has some good stuff, but its more expensive than what you'll find on ebay.

Why are you looking for 5000k - 6000k range? Are you looking for a bluish tint?
Old 10-19-2011, 08:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I got my kit from the seller supervtec (yeah yeah) and got a slim digital kit (more reliable than the old thick analog boxes). I didn't have any issues with them for the couple years I ran them.

I had 6000k first. Had too much bluish tint and made driving in certain weather conditions not too great. 5000k was much better.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've bought from DDM tuning in the past, but I've heard some bad things about them recently. However, they are fast & cheap.

Some others on here have bought from some ebay sellers. I don't remember their names, but you should be able to find them by searching on here.

The Retrofit Source has some good stuff, but its more expensive than what you'll find on ebay.

Why are you looking for 5000k - 6000k range? Are you looking for a bluish tint?
Yeah I dont think I am going to buy from ebay period. I am looking for something preferably with a slight bluish tint because I barely drive the car outta the garage. Its not my dd and I live in Chicago so the streets/highways here are lit pretty well

Ever hear of this place? http://www.hidxenonlights.com/h1-hid-bulbs-c-644 or http://www.hidnation.com/h1hidkits.html
Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
I got my kit from the seller supervtec (yeah yeah) and got a slim digital kit (more reliable than the old thick analog boxes). I didn't have any issues with them for the couple years I ran them.

I had 6000k first. Had too much bluish tint and made driving in certain weather conditions not too great. 5000k was much better.
I see, so the slim ballasts are better than the non-slim. The past HID's I had on my 04 GTO that I bought from xenonlink.com had a problem where when I turned my lights on sometime. One would just randomly shut off. I then would have to flip the headlight switch on/off a few times before it came on again. They would turn off about three times within driving a hour, I checked to see if anything was lose or in properly installled but no dice

You ever have this problem with you HID's?

Last edited by Raoul-Duke; 10-20-2011 at 11:12 AM.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Nope never did, even in -15 degree weather with a -35 windchill. They always came right on, and I didn't even have a relay harness.

By the way, the car was a frozen chunk, the battery was half frozen and barely was able to start the engine, the tires were frozen to the parking deck, and it took at least 20-30 minutes before I had any sort of usable heat
Old 10-20-2011, 01:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Nope never did, even in -15 degree weather with a -35 windchill. They always came right on, and I didn't even have a relay harness.

By the way, the car was a frozen chunk, the battery was half frozen and barely was able to start the engine, the tires were frozen to the parking deck, and it took at least 20-30 minutes before I had any sort of usable heat
haha damn, well you had a good set I'd def say
Old 10-20-2011, 02:42 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Their names seem familiar. For the Prices that HID Xenon Lights charges, go with The Retrofit Source instead. Similar prices, but proven product from a reliable company.

HID Nation's kit seems cheap until you realize they nickel and dime you on things to bring the price back up to what others charge or more ($20 extra for a warranty, wtf, its not like they give you a better/different kit). DDM Tuning has 35 watt Digital HID kits for $45 with warranty. ($35 for non-digital 35watt, $55 for 55watt digital).

I see, so the slim ballasts are better than the non-slim. The past HID's I had on my 04 GTO that I bought from xenonlink.com had a problem where when I turned my lights on sometime. One would just randomly shut off. I then would have to flip the headlight switch on/off a few times before it came on again.
Digital HID kits are a little more efficient. Also, if you do have that issue, a relay harness should fix it.

Last edited by VIP1; 10-20-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:46 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

BTW, which projectors are these? Are these the Sonar projectors or the R8-style projectors?
Old 10-20-2011, 03:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Their names seem familiar. For the Prices that HID Xenon Lights charges, go with The Retrofit Source instead. Similar prices, but proven product from a reliable company.

HID Nation's kit seems cheap until you realize they nickel and dime you on things to bring the price back up to what others charge or more ($20 extra for a warranty, wtf, its not like they give you a better/different kit). DDM Tuning has 35 watt Digital HID kits for $45 with warranty. ($35 for non-digital 35watt, $55 for 55watt digital).

Digital HID kits are a little more efficient. Also, if you do have that issue, a relay harness should fix it.
Awesome man thanks! What is it does a relay do and how do you hook it up?
Old 10-20-2011, 04:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

BTW, which projectors are these? Are these the Sonar projectors or the R8-style projectors?

Not sure really which ones these are

Quick Reply: What kind of low beams are these??