Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Hard brake lines wont screw into center tee

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 08:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hard brake lines wont screw into center tee

I'm working on installing my new 9" and decided to put new brake lines in while I was at it.

I bought prebent hardlines (which I later found have to be tweaked to fit, but I was expecting that for the 9") and the stock replacement rubber hoses that go from the hardlines out to the calipers and from the supply hardline to each side of the rear axle.

The problem is that the flare seems to stick out too far from the brake lines for the fitting to be able to catch the threads in the brass block tee. Here are some pics:

If you can see in the picture the brake line and fitting stick out about 6mm past the threads. The bore in the tee fitting is only approx. 7 mm deep. The line simply cant go deep enough into the tee to start to screw in.

Would it be alright to drill out the center portion of the tee fitting to allow the brake line to go in further and engage the threads? Or grind down the very tip of the brake line for some additional clearance? possibly some combination of the two?

Any suggestions?
Old 10-18-2011, 08:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

What brass block T are you using. My car has 2 lines. I just made new lines for my MWC 9" this past weekend and put on new Russell SS lines. I did my own flares but everything fit like a glove.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm assuming your car has 4 channel ABS...3 channel just has one main line running from the ABS unit to the rear axle then it splits by the diff and goes out to each caliper.

Heres a diagram...thanks shbox.

Long story short basically all i need to know is if its okay to drill out the female portion of a flare fitting to allow the male side to fit.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:48 PM
Launching!

STOP! :-) That brake line is not setup correctly. You've got the wrong type of fitting and flare on that line. Send it back. You cannot use it that way. To answer your question, you cannot drill out the fitting, you'll find once you do this even if you milled it to the correct angle, the fitting that you are showing does not appear to be the correct thread pitch. The only other option you have is to cut the current fitting off and replace it with a correctly flared tube and correct fitting. This option is probably doable as you'll just have to re-bend the line slightly to make up for the shorter line.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So do I have the wrong style fitting or the wrong size?
Old 10-18-2011, 09:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The flare on the tube is wrong (incomplete) and the tube nut is wrong.

Quick Reply: Hard brake lines wont screw into center tee