Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94-95 mustang gauges

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 10:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 94-95 mustang gauges

I am going to be doing a 5.3 swap in my 93. Going with a painless harness and have them delete my VATS, then HP tuners when funds allow. First question I have is I want all my factory gauges to work. The only catch is that I swapped the interior from an 01 GT into my 93 (known as an SN95 dash swap). Electrically my car is still a 93, and the gauges from a 94-95 5.0 mustang are electrically compatiable with the older harness, just have to change the connectors and tap into the VSS for the speedo. I have all of them wotking right now, including the speedo.

My delima is that i dont like the look of aftermarket stuff in my car. just dont like the added on look of it all. I will have aftermarket gauges in the begining to keep track of vitals til i figure out how to make the rest work. the fuel, volt gauges will work no matter what. The temp and the oil need ford senders i know, but where to tap into the LM7 to receive the signals. Does the factory PCM use an oil pressure sensor? As for the tach, i can make that work also, just need to give it the negative tach signal, and does the PCM provide that? as for the speedo, will the VSS from the 4L60 that I am going to be using have the same square wave ground pulse that the ford unit has? or has anyone modified their tailshaft to accept the ford sensor and still maintain the factory VSS for the PCM?

Thanks in advance!

Charlie
Old 10-19-2011, 08:28 PM
On The Tree

Anyone at all?
Old 10-19-2011, 09:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thought about a camaro cluster? I've seen it work just don't know how. theres a video on youtubeshowing them working. tach seems to react slow but maybe thats just in the video
Old 10-19-2011, 11:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A 98-02 camaro cluster should fit nicely in an sn95 dash. I have a 99 t/a cluster wired up in my 93(stock dash) and everything works except oil pressure. It wasnt hard at all to wire up either.

I used PSI COnversions standalone harness and it was the easiest part of the whole swap. Jon helped me a lot with any questions I had.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:23 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for that Idea.... Never thought of that. I will deff. look into it.

@ itsslow98
Could you send me a pic of what it looks like? also how much of the factory harness did you use? also did you swap the fuel sender to one that would work with the GM cluster?

Not worried about the speed of the tach, have a shift light in the center vents. that and engine noise tells me when to shift.

thanks again!
Old 10-21-2011, 01:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

It kinda looks crappy in my car i did it for function, i forgot i havent wired up the fuel sender that will take some work. Just picture the rounded camaro gauge cluster and what the stock fox cluster looks like. The sn95 dash is very similarly shaped to the camaro cluster.

Right now I just have the speedo, tach, coolant, and volt gauge working. I only had to run like 2 wires from the pcm to the cluster and then run power off the ignition switch for the lights. I used the PSI harness so I NEVER even touched the mustangs body harness.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:00 AM
11 Second Club

I'm too lazy to do all the footwork for ya, but all your answers are in this thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-lsx-swap.html

I built this car and did all the wiring/conversion. All of the factory Mustang gauges will work just fine, tach, speedo, ect.

The Mustang speedo head will not recognize the LS PCM's speed sensor output. If you tap directly into the tailshaft speed sensor on the 4L60E, it will interpert that, but the reading will be off as the pulses/mile are different than the Ford had. The LS PCM outputs a Digital Signal, whereas the Ford cluster is looking for a sine-wave analog signal from the VSS.

I used a Dakota Digital box that was like $70 to convert the ls's vss output signal to analog, and you can calibrate the speeo in the tune that way as well.

On the tach, the Ford cluster is like a conventional tach, and it will not read the low voltage output of the LS pcm. You will need to create a pull-up resistor on the tach feed circuit to make the Ford cluster pickup the signal. Also, you will need to change the tach output in the tune as it's set wrong for the tach to be accurate. Your tuner should be able to do that when they do the tune.

All the answers are in that thread. If not, look in my sig and go to my site under Build Threads, and find the '96 GT LS swap thread, it's all in there as well. If not, just ask and i'll try and dig the info up for ya.

Easy to do man, there is a lot of reading in those threads, but it's covered in them.

All of the factory gauges work in my '83 Mustang ('88 dash conversion) 5.3/T70 Turbo conversion as well. It's not expensive to do, and looks much better with the factory Mustang equipment than the Camaro cluter, in my opinion:

(Low boost tuning video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHWoBA9zy0M

All the above is done using only the factory ls wiring harness, and a $100 fusebox to make it stand alone from:

http://www.currentperformance.com

Last edited by 96gt4.6; 10-24-2011 at 12:06 AM.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

I have ALWAYS heard the stock tach in the mustang cluster is incredibly inaccurate at high RPMS. Even for people with stock mustangs they are a problem. I cant imagine it being dependable if your revving to 6200+
Old 10-24-2011, 07:37 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by itsslow98
I have ALWAYS heard the stock tach in the mustang cluster is incredibly inaccurate at high RPMS. Even for people with stock mustangs they are a problem. I cant imagine it being dependable if your revving to 6200+
You are correct, it's horribly off past 4k or so. On my turbo fox, the cutoff is set to 6K, yet the tach reads 7k+.

But, this is not an issue if you have a 60/80E as you're not shifting manually anyhow.

But, you're in the same boat if you use a stock Fbody cluster. My Camaro is off around 500-800 RPM above 6K as well.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:16 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by itsslow98
That is true for fox body cars 93 and older. 94-95 5.0 cars as they got older the clusters started getting corrosion, 96-98 did better and 99 and up, the tachs are very accurate. When ford changed the complete Pin design and switched to a digital odo in 99, the cluster housed a pass through on the vats system.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:41 PM
On The Tree

I was doing some research on this on my own... here is what I found:

A.) GM Speedo's use a 4000 PPM (pulse per mile) input.
B.) Where as my Ford cluster uses a 8000 PPM input.

So by using the Dakota Digital converter i can make the signal whatever I want?
easy enough. I had all the factory stuff working before... this will just be the new challenge
Old 10-28-2011, 04:17 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Chrome_Rust
I was doing some research on this on my own... here is what I found:

A.) GM Speedo's use a 4000 PPM (pulse per mile) input.
B.) Where as my Ford cluster uses a 8000 PPM input.

So by using the Dakota Digital converter i can make the signal whatever I want?
easy enough. I had all the factory stuff working before... this will just be the new challenge
If you use the LS PCM speed signal output, you can change the PPM in the tune also. Between the Dakota Digital box and the tuning change, you have a HUGE adjustment range to work with.

I can't remember the switch settings on the Dakota box, but it's pictured on the build thread, but it's easy to figure out. It's not difficult at ALL to get all the stock gauges working.

And as stated above, the SN95 and newer tach's are pretty accurate. It's the older Fox's you gotta watch out for up top, mine is off around 1k past 6. Pretty close from 1k-5k or so.

Quick Reply: 94-95 mustang gauges