Browse all: Electrical Guides
Print Wikipost

where/how to learn HP Tuners?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default where/how to learn HP Tuners?

Hey guys, I recently bought HP Tuners for my turbo camaro. I had the car professionally tuned on a 3 Bar SD tune, but since I have my own software, I'd like to learn how to use it to make small changes, and/or tune friend's cars. I know a lot about fuel injection (I'm a Master ASE Technician) and I built the entire car (engine, turbo system, etc..) so i feel pretty conifident I would be good at tuning. I just have no idea how to use the software.

Are there any HP Tuners SPECIFIC books or videos on learning the software? I bought a book called "Engine Managament - Advanced Tuning" and read that, but it doesnt explain the software - I understand the concept of tuning, i just need to know how to use the program! Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 10-20-2011, 03:25 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can read up a lot of things from HPtuners forum and do some more reading from Greg Banish DVD and Dan Maslic's "Master EFI Tuner GM EFI" book.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want to learn HP Tuners specifically, these guys do it. That write out the tuning process for you. Its great program

http://www.thetuningschool.com/
Old 10-20-2011, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I bought this book. http://www.masportspeedshop.com/serv...-tuning/Detail. It taught me to understand most of what people say on the hptuners forum. Once you understand what people are saying and how everything works, the rest comes a lot easier
Old 10-21-2011, 11:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the replies I also have been looking for a book or program that doesn't cost $300.the program was expensive enough, plus cost of laptop.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:37 AM
Launching!

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

If you're just looking for info on exactly how HPTuners works (not so much on how to find MBT or the right AFR correction), then I'd start with the help files in the HPT software. After that, look at the stickies on the HPT forum. These are free and should help get you navigating the software much faster. Once you're familiar with where to find things and how to set them up, then it's time to move on to specific training media that will better walk you through the engine calibration process.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:46 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I taught myself by reading everything that I could on here and the HPT forum, asking lots of questions and just trying **** to see how it effected what. There is no quick method though. My advice to you is to tackle one section at a time and print out a list/cheat sheet of acronyms as that is how explanations are typically given. Having a wideband O2 sensor is a critical part. You are pissing in the wind without it.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:12 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
I taught myself by reading everything that I could on here and the HPT forum, asking lots of questions and just trying **** to see how it effected what. There is no quick method though. My advice to you is to tackle one section at a time and print out a list/cheat sheet of acronyms as that is how explanations are typically given. Having a wideband O2 sensor is a critical part. You are pissing in the wind without it.
that's pretty much what I did...
Old 10-24-2011, 08:47 PM
Banned

I've got the SME-DVD1 & SME-DVD2, if your interested..
Old 10-25-2011, 12:32 AM
Teching In

Default I am

Originally Posted by 364HC
I've got the SME-DVD1 & SME-DVD2, if your interested..
I am interested. PM me the specifics Please. Cost etc..
Old 10-25-2011, 04:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
Having a wideband O2 sensor is a critical part. You are pissing in the wind without it.
No, not really. Its nice to have and I will have it on any personal car of mine I'm tuning, but what about when someone brings you a car to tune with no wideband.

Should they be told to go away until they install a wideband?

Furthermore, do you think a wideband is the end-all be-all for the tune? Because it's not.

The stock controller and logging software give you plenty enough feedback combined with reading the plugs, do be able to dial the car in 100% with no wide band required.

Yes it's very nice to have, and can speed up the process / verify changes you make, but too many people rely on them as a crutch. They tune the WOT fuel to some arbitrary number they have "heard" works good, and add timing until it knocks then back it off a little, and call it good.

A far cry from a proper tune.

Just my .02
Old 10-25-2011, 06:18 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gregrob
No, not really. Its nice to have and I will have it on any personal car of mine I'm tuning, but what about when someone brings you a car to tune with no wideband.

Should they be told to go away until they install a wideband?

Furthermore, do you think a wideband is the end-all be-all for the tune? Because it's not.

The stock controller and logging software give you plenty enough feedback combined with reading the plugs, do be able to dial the car in 100% with no wide band required.

Yes it's very nice to have, and can speed up the process / verify changes you make, but too many people rely on them as a crutch. They tune the WOT fuel to some arbitrary number they have "heard" works good, and add timing until it knocks then back it off a little, and call it good.

A far cry from a proper tune.

Just my .02
Should we assume you can tell the difference between 11:1 and 12:1 A/F ratio by reading the plugs?

You're right in that a wideband is not required to tune a car, but for WOT fueling, relying on plug reading as an accurate way of tuning A/F is unrealistic, even for the best tuners. They are far from a crutch. They're used as a standard tuning tool, and rightly so. They work, and work well. Not everyone has the means or finances to go out and buy a 5 gas analyzer (I have one), so a wideband is an economically priced alternative.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:57 PM

Baltimore HP tuners. Ls1 Camaro ecm
Old 11-27-2012, 08:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As someone who is in a similar position education wise I can vouch for Dan Maslic's book as well. The beginning of it will be a bit slow for someone who went to school for autos but it gets to business soon enough. It is a good read. I have also seen the Banish DVD's there is good info in it as wel but I dont feel it is necessary for understanding HP tuners.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I finally bit the bullet and went to thetuningschool.com. It was a blast, and well worth the money. It was not just a class it was an experience. If it is out of your price range, then all the info is on the internet. The O.P. has probably solved his issue already since this thread is old as hell. LOL
Old 12-06-2012, 04:40 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by codyvette
I finally bit the bullet and went to thetuningschool.com. It was a blast, and well worth the money. It was not just a class it was an experience. If it is out of your price range, then all the info is on the internet. The O.P. has probably solved his issue already since this thread is old as hell. LOL
Did you go the last months before PRI?
Old 12-10-2012, 05:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

gregrob whatever you need to stop. Tuners specify a bung be placed and you install YOUR wideband when they arrive for tune. Suggesting that isn't how 90% of people tune is retarded. Furthermore, you should stop posting.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:26 AM
Teching In

ERM Performance Tuning
Old 04-04-2017, 11:47 AM
Teching In

How difficult is it to run the Holley system with factory gauges? Ls swapped 94 Camaro
Old 04-04-2017, 03:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Seeing this thread made me think, anyone know what happened to Ed? Is he still tuning? (Post 12)

Quick Reply: where/how to learn HP Tuners?