Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think i have a lemon z28

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think i have a lemon z28

I just bought a 2000 z28/rs auto with 147xxxmiles
and its so slow idk whats wrong with it no check eng light or any thing like that i took it to drag strip and it ran 14.4 at 98
lol whats wrong with it
Old 10-20-2011, 06:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I share your pain. I haven't been to a strip with mine, but considering the types of vehicles I "lose" to on the road in just trying to keep up/pass people on my commute.. I'd say we're EASILY in the same boat.

first, you just got it right? Have you done a tuneup?

new plugs, wires, fuel filter, clean the TB, the MAF, the IAC, the TPS, get a fresh air filter?

Did you spin tires off the line? what was your 60' r/t etc?

Mine cannot spin tires. It doesn't have enough power.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:20 PM

It dont spin at all i think like 2.2
Originally Posted by darkfox118
i share your pain. I haven't been to a strip with mine, but considering the types of vehicles i "lose" to on the road in just trying to keep up/pass people on my commute.. I'd say we're easily in the same boat.

First, you just got it right? Have you done a tuneup?

New plugs, wires, fuel filter, clean the tb, the maf, the iac, the tps, get a fresh air filter?

Did you spin tires off the line? What was your 60' r/t etc?

Mine cannot spin tires. It doesn't have enough power.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Start with a good tune-up. That made a world of difference in mine, and though it's still no rocket ship, it was a BIG improvement.

the whole thing took about 2-3 days to do and was all fairly easy, save for the spark plugs. (HATE those things.. I actually had a shop do it for me after fiddling with it for a while..)

This was what my TB looked like when I bought my car. It had 128k miles on it. 2 cans of carb cleaner (it's like chemtool B12 I think is what it's called gooood stuff.) later it looked like new and the throttle response was much improved.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:40 PM

Wow that tb was ugly mine looks like that probley
so whats your saying is tune up
plugs wires oil change and carb cleaner ?
Old 10-20-2011, 06:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

What was the DA at the track?

Here is a DA Calculator,just select your track and date and fill in the #'s

http://www.dragtimes.com/da-density-...ect+ET+and+MPH

Mines got 125,000 miles on her,I bought it with 120,000.

Most runs are with a DA of 1500-2000 our track is 650ft above sea level.

She went 13.71 at 103mph just the way I bought it.

I added a lid and free mods,rear seat and spare delete and went 13.3 at 105mph

Headers and a tune got me 13.03 at 107mph

LS6 Intake and Magnaflow CB got me 12.9 at 107mph.

Going to the track this weekend to run some new PB's in the mineshaft air
Old 10-20-2011, 06:42 PM
TECH Addict

your car has a decent amount of miles on it, do a compression/leakdown test to see if the engine has any bum cylinders, then do a serious tune up and then see what it runs
Old 10-20-2011, 06:42 PM

I have changed the intake to a slp air lid with k&n screened the maf ......as i was going down the track check engine came on i left it sit and then started it back up whent off
Old 10-20-2011, 06:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

btw compression check is a HUGE pita.. and if you have a shop do it it's costly.

I didn't do one on my car. MTI wanted $400 for a compression check. I bought an entire engine for $650.. but I'm not gonna use it now..

Go to autozone and see if there's any codes in memory. Mine has a CEL almost all the time, it's the AIR pump, emissions crap I don't worry about.

But.. if you have a bad o2 sensor ,you could be running open loop.. so bad performance, logs of bogging, lots of gas consumption. My car gets about 230 miles/10 gal for commuting.. This is mostly city too.

I put 4 new o2s on mine and new cats right after I got it. only 2 o2s were reading bad but.. the others are right around the corner if they're all the same age.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:57 PM
TECH Regular

I would say good tune up but mainly new 02 Sensors.Car smell like its running rich or anything?
Old 10-20-2011, 07:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tune up+free mods+lid,k&n filter and a cat.back
Old 10-20-2011, 07:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I thikn if he's bogging down and can't spin he has other internal issues, perhaps compression (I think that's whats wrong with mine honestly..) mods might help, but they won't fix the problem.

certainly though, a tune-up is a required first step. Whenever I buy a new "used" car I change the oil first, even if they told me they changed it, I don't rtust their oil/filter/facts. I also do a cleanup, new plugs wires, fuel filter, you MAY want to run seafoam in the fuel system. I haven't cleaned my fuel system yet because I'm afraid of doing it wrong (something about gunk blocking injectors..) the TB gets gunked up becaues of the EGR tube being right behind it.

Also the "free mods" a lot of people talk about.. I'm not sure of all of them, but while you have the TB off, one "free mod" you can do is bypass the TB's coolant lines. Just connect them together. SUPPOSEDLY it's worth 10hp.. I think that's a gross over exaggeration, but I was always told to do it since I live in the south.. do some searching around for that kinda stuff, if it's free.. and it's maintenance .. it's worth doing in the beginning.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

...im not that familiar with all cars but i have driven a z28. i also know the stats of a z28

if your z28 cannot spin you need to get to workin on it imediatly, lest a honda civic and a 2v mustang disgrace you
Old 10-20-2011, 07:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

your motor is probably old and worn down if its original. yes, ls1s run strong but nothing lasts forever.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:39 PM
On The Tree

Try cleaning your MAF wires with a spray cleaner. I had trouble with my Z28, put in new plugs and a cat, turned out to be a dirty MAF. CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner (this is not an advertisement.. lol), costs about 7 bucks. Car had a long flat spot, and would run well when it felt like it. I had put a SLP lid on the car with a oiled air filter and I think this was a contributing factor. Good luck.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nick V.
...im not that familiar with all cars but i have driven a z28. i also know the stats of a z28

if your z28 cannot spin you need to get to workin on it imediatly, lest a honda civic and a 2v mustang disgrace you

oh it's worse than that..

think buick lesabre, GMC sierra 2500HD, toyota avalon, toyota 4runner..

if he's running like mine, people are gonna think he's in a v6.

One thing you could do if you're feeling froggy and want to know the motor's history, pop a valve cover. Driver side is easiest. If it looks like mine.. you know your motor wasn't treated so well:

stained from contaminants. If the oils been changed religiously it should be more of a gold color. Now given your car has higher mileage so it may still be kind of dark.

Here's the inside of a motor I picked up at a salvage yard that has ~40k miles on it:

Old 10-20-2011, 07:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

what tools do i need to pop that sucker off? and how much time is needed? i might check mine out this weekend
Old 10-20-2011, 07:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think it's an 8mm socket, but you gotta get the coil packs off first which takes some patience. I wound up using a good 12" extension, u-joint and deep well socket.. and some patience.. to get in there.

Chances are everyone's who has more than 90k miles is gonna look similar to my 1st one I'd imagine. The contaminants stain the aluminum as it is my understanding. I have a lot of valve train noise so I was hoping to "find" it. No such luck, rockers, pushrods all feel tight. could be lifters.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:17 PM

Wow thats ugly im almost scared to look lol im just gonna do the tune and go from there ....whats the free mods i can do in the meen time
Old 10-20-2011, 08:46 PM
11 Second Club

Are you sure that your Throttle is opening all the way?

Quick Reply: I think i have a lemon z28