Sponsored by:

Question on intake for '01 TA WS-6 convertible

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 07:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on intake for '01 TA WS-6 convertible

Hey all,

It's great to find such a useful, informative site to help me with my task of modifying my new F-body! It's a Bright Red 2001 Trans AM WS-6 convertible with a tad over 12k on the odometer and, quite simply, it's just a beatiful car. I've also noticed the excellent power it develops as well!

Anyway, I'm looking to do my first bolt-on mod which is going to be an air intake upgrade. I've heard that since I have a 2001 WS-6, I already have the LS6 intake manifold. Can anyone please help me confirm this?

Also, I've seen a ton of options for modifying the air intake system.. and the more I read the more confused I seem to get. I'd like to keep the stock MAF/throttle body, so I'm thinking the SLP lid with some straight tubing might be a good start.

So to summarize, I have two questions which I could really use your brainpower to help me resolve:
  • Do I already have the LS6 intake manifold?
  • Keeping it simple, is the SLP lid with a better filter and tube a good bang-for-my-buck first mod?

Thanks in advance for your time!
B
Old 10-20-2011, 08:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shdowflare
I've heard that since I have a 2001 WS-6, I already have the LS6 intake manifold.
You have it.

Also, I've seen a ton of options for modifying the air intake system.. and the more I read the more confused I seem to get. I'd like to keep the stock MAF/throttle body, so I'm thinking the SLP lid with some straight tubing might be a good start.
A lid, if you don't have one... the Whisper lid gets my vote. And an oiled-foam filter. Keep the stock TB at this stage, and the stock MAF (and stock MAF housing).
Old 10-20-2011, 09:30 PM
Teching In

Great info thanks! I didn't want to touch the MAF or throttle body... why do you prefer the Whisper lid? And do you know a good brand for the oil foam filter to replace the stock air filter?

Thanks!
B
Old 10-20-2011, 09:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why do you prefer the Whisper lid?
'Cause I've had the same carbon fiber whisper lid for 12 years. It's still going strong after being installed and removed countless times.

And do you know a good brand for the oil foam filter to replace the stock air filter?
I bought a flat sheet of air filter foam at a swap meet 10 years ago for $10. It was made by Moroso. Airaid and all sorts of other companies make a special filter oil that's only a few bucks per can.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:52 PM
11 Second Club

All lids are pretty much the same but he is correct about everything.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bluestreak
'Cause I've had the same carbon fiber whisper lid for 12 years. It's still going strong after being installed and removed countless times.

I bought a flat sheet of air filter foam at a swap meet 10 years ago for $10. It was made by Moroso. Airaid and all sorts of other companies make a special filter oil that's only a few bucks per can.
Which rims do you have on your beautiful white Trans Am? Are those the sweet Firehawk rims? I'm really looking for a set of those for my new Baby!
Old 10-21-2011, 09:30 PM
TECH Regular

Which rims do you have on your beautiful white Trans Am? Are those the sweet Firehawk rims? I'm really looking for a set of those for my new Baby!
He has anniversary wheels.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:40 PM
Teching In

Indeed... They are rather nice I must say. Thanks again for the help, gents!