Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Car is sloppy, tires are acting weird, ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 04:14 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car is sloppy, tires are acting weird, ideas?

First allow me to begin by saying I'm not sure if the problem is suspension or tire related. I was coming home today when I nailed it, got the car up to about 105MPH just for fun, then the car started feeling sloppy, I could feel the tail being lazy. I've had this happen before when I had low tire pressure in the back, so I figured it was running low. I got back checked all the tires, except the rear passenger side one. I put the tire gauge on to check it...after about one second the whole thing blew off! The entire thing blew apart into pieces. Therefore I wasn't able to check the pressure on the last one.

My question, does this happen a lot with these things? Never had it happen before, is it a sign of too much air?

Why is my car feeling sloppy? I remember in the middle of summer when the days were over 90 degrees the car would feel sloppy, but at night time it would feel nimble and sharp again. Today was cool, barely breaking 70 degrees...heat shouldn't affect it. Any ideas please?
Old 10-22-2011, 05:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How is your panhard holding up?
Old 10-23-2011, 12:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by WS.SIX
What's the panhard?
Old 10-23-2011, 12:35 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WS.SIX
Exactly what I was thinking! I had a bolt loosen up and fall out of the panhard years ago...Felt VERY sloppy on the road....

OP, the panhard bar stabilizes the side-to-side motion of the rear end. It bolts to the chassis on the passenger side and mounts to the rear end on the driver's side.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by hardrock21
Exactly what I was thinking! I had a bolt loosen up and fall out of the panhard years ago...Felt VERY sloppy on the road....

OP, the panhard bar stabilizes the side-to-side motion of the rear end. It bolts to the chassis on the passenger side and mounts to the rear end on the driver's side.
So you're saying a bolt might be loose on here? Any pictures or advice on how I can get in there and check it out? I'm glad we might have narrowed this down.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:39 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight '01
So you're saying a bolt might be loose on here? Any pictures or advice on how I can get in there and check it out? I'm glad we might have narrowed this down.
I'm not saying anything happened...I'm just giving advice on things to check. If you google image panhard bar you will get a ton of results on what one looks like and you can glance underneath the rear of the car and make sure yours is still attached.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

First allow me to begin by saying I'm not sure if the problem is suspension or tire related. I was coming home today when I nailed it, got the car up to about 105MPH just for fun, then the car started feeling sloppy, I could feel the tail being lazy. I've had this happen before when I had low tire pressure in the back, so I figured it was running low. I got back checked all the tires, except the rear passenger side one. I put the tire gauge on to check it...after about one second the whole thing blew off! The entire thing blew apart into pieces. Therefore I wasn't able to check the pressure on the last one.

My question, does this happen a lot with these things? Never had it happen before, is it a sign of too much air?

Why is my car feeling sloppy? I remember in the middle of summer when the days were over 90 degrees the car would feel sloppy, but at night time it would feel nimble and sharp again. Today was cool, barely breaking 70 degrees...heat shouldn't affect it. Any ideas please?
What shocks are you on right now?
Old 10-23-2011, 09:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
What shocks are you on right now?
Stock shocks and I just passes 70,000 miles. I'm buying the SLP Bilstein set of 4 in the beginning of November. Do you recommend I go with the slightly cheaper HD shocks, or the regular slightly more expensive shocks? I'm going off of ws6store's website.

Also, my friend tells me he can install the shocks. But he says the front ones are struts, which are more difficult to install while the rear ones are shocks. Is this true?
Old 10-23-2011, 09:49 PM
12 Second Club

Shocks are easy to install - struts are easy to but you will need a spring compressor for the struts.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by projectX
Shocks are easy to install - struts are easy to but you will need a spring compressor for the struts.
Where do I get a spring compressor from? How much do they cost?
Old 10-23-2011, 10:34 PM
12 Second Club

Free at an auto parts store - check around - autozone is def one of them - you just give them a small deposit borrow it, bring back and get your deposit back. Far as the work basic hand tools and a vice to hold the strut while you decompress the springs. Hope his helps.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:38 PM
Banned

I'm really excited about adding the new shocks. I'm trying to get an idea of how much of a difference I will feel on a 70,000 miles car.

Would you say the difference is like going from 200HP car to a 350HP car, as far as analogies go? I ask 'cause my last car was a 2003 Monte Carlo SS, lol. Will it feel like a new car again?
Old 10-23-2011, 10:42 PM
12 Second Club

Every car is different but I would say shocks make a huge difference - you will def notice the difference - before and after.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Stock shocks and I just passes 70,000 miles. I'm buying the SLP Bilstein set of 4 in the beginning of November. Do you recommend I go with the slightly cheaper HD shocks, or the regular slightly more expensive shocks? I'm going off of ws6store's website.
SLP bilstiens from Stranoparts.com (or better yet Koni SAs if you really want a handling improvement)
Also, my friend tells me he can install the shocks. But he says the front ones are struts, which are more difficult to install while the rear ones are shocks. Is this true?
Both front and rear are shocks, but front are coil over shocks (they are not struts, cars with struts do not have an upper A-arm (ours has an upper A-arm).
And yes it can be a PINA to do the front, but mostly because the upper shock bolt get seized on with rust.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm really excited about adding the new shocks. I'm trying to get an idea of how much of a difference I will feel on a 70,000 miles car.

Would you say the difference is like going from 200HP car to a 350HP car, as far as analogies go? I ask 'cause my last car was a 2003 Monte Carlo SS, lol. Will it feel like a new car again?
The car will feel better than new because even brand new decarbons are lackluster at best.
200 vs 350hp difference with bilstiens, probably not(but still a big difference)... But with konis, yes and then some.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:50 PM
Teching In

Order your parts from Sam Strano. Order new springs while your at. Call him up, he will get you a great deal and is very knowledgeable with quality parts. I bought shocks and springs from him and it could not have been easier.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:16 PM
Banned

Stranoparts are $8 cheaper than ws6store, so I guess I will go with him. So long as shipping is free too. It's also good to know that the fronts are not struts, should make the job a little bit quicker now.

Quick Reply: Car is sloppy, tires are acting weird, ideas?