Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch issues???

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 03:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Clutch issues???

I have noticed the clutch pedal and clutch feel fine when just driving the car normal, But when at high rpms the pedal will do a couple different things. From a dead stop getting on it, it does fine until i shift to 2nd then the pedal will stick and you can either pull up on it with your toe or wait for rpms to drop back down and it will come back on its own? Also when just driving in any gear and you punch it, it's fine until around 5500 rpms then when you try to press the clutch pedal it very hard? I have asked a few people but keep getting different responses so i figured i would post here to get some more opinions.. Thanks in advance
Old 10-24-2011, 03:37 PM
FormerVendor

Check the fluid in the reservoir. Is it dark or discolored? If so you need to start by flushing and refilling the fluid. If it is clean and clear then you can try vacuum bleeding the system to insure that there is no air present. Start here and let us know what you find and we can proceed with further suggestions/trouble shooting. Thanks,
Old 10-24-2011, 04:43 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I assume you're on the stock clutch, how much power is the car making? Properly functioning hydraulics are important with any clutch as Jeremy mentioned, so check that first. But a clutch that is overpowered or on it's way out does exactly what you're describing as well. Feel free to contact me with any questions you may have, thanks! Chris, 817-750-2000
Old 10-24-2011, 07:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
Check the fluid in the reservoir. Is it dark or discolored? If so you need to start by flushing and refilling the fluid. If it is clean and clear then you can try vacuum bleeding the system to insure that there is no air present. Start here and let us know what you find and we can proceed with further suggestions/trouble shooting. Thanks,
Fluid looks to be clear, But the guy i bought it off of said they had a hard tie bleeding it.

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
I assume you're on the stock clutch, how much power is the car making? Properly functioning hydraulics are important with any clutch as Jeremy mentioned, so check that first. But a clutch that is overpowered or on it's way out does exactly what you're describing as well. Feel free to contact me with any questions you may have, thanks! Chris, 817-750-2000
Car is only making around 340 rwhp now but i am doing a lq4 swap in a few weeks. Yes stock clutch, master and slave. I have been told either the clutch or master? I will only have one good day to try and fix due to time (army) so if you guys are thinking clutch what setup would you suggest? Thanks for the replies..
Old 10-24-2011, 07:46 PM
Launching!

well i dont know much about clutches.
these guys however do
but i would highly recommend going with a pretty beefy clutch. (stage 2 or 3) if your doing the lq4 swap.
im doing the same thing in a couple days.
but if your gonna be layin down torque,
you need a good clutch.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:00 AM
FormerVendor

The fact that they had difficulty bleeding the system may mean that they didn't bleed it thoroughly or that there are issues with the hydraulic system. I suggest having the system vacuum bled as a good starting point. Let us know what you experience after this and we can proceed as needed with tech support.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:16 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SmokinAce
Fluid looks to be clear, But the guy i bought it off of said they had a hard tie bleeding it.

Car is only making around 340 rwhp now but i am doing a lq4 swap in a few weeks. Yes stock clutch, master and slave. I have been told either the clutch or master? I will only have one good day to try and fix due to time (army) so if you guys are thinking clutch what setup would you suggest? Thanks for the replies..
You're already making 10% more power than stock, so I'd recommend looking for a clutch that will hold the extra power of the LQ4. How much power are you planning for it?
Old 10-25-2011, 12:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Alright guys I have spent today trouble shooting and yes it is the clutch. Next question what clutch should I order for around 460hp and where should I order it to get it by this weekend? Not to radical. Thanks
Old 10-25-2011, 12:35 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SmokinAce
Alright guys I have spent today trouble shooting and yes it is the clutch. Next question what clutch should I order for around 460hp and where should I order it to get it by this weekend? Not to radical. Thanks
Our Level 2 would handle that power level, give me a call and I'll get you taken care of. Chris, 817-750-2000
Old 10-26-2011, 10:34 AM
FormerVendor

Our Stage 1 or 2 would meet your needs. You can buy this directly or through any number of dealers. You can find specifics on the parts on the link below. Let me know if you have any questions or if you wish to place an order. Thanks!

http://www.specclutch.com/cars/Chevy/Camaro/1999/Single
Old 10-28-2011, 07:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
Our Stage 1 or 2 would meet your needs. You can buy this directly or through any number of dealers. You can find specifics on the parts on the link below. Let me know if you have any questions or if you wish to place an order. Thanks!

http://www.specclutch.com/cars/Chevy/Camaro/1999/Single
Thanks but my tuner recommended a spec 3 for my future mods. It will be installed tomorrow. Thanks for the info guys

Quick Reply: Clutch issues???