Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Tubular torque arm and Poly trans mount install questions!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 11:34 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tubular torque arm and Poly trans mount install questions!

Ok so I installed my energy suspension poly trans mount. I took the mount, put the plate on top (transmission side) have the ENS logo facing the rear of the car. I used the stock mount bolts to bolt it in place.

Now what do you do to bolt your crossmember back through the mount? My mount that came off had a built in bolt that came down through the crossmember, and the ENS mount just has a bolt hole in the middle. 2 bolts were supplied and aren't long enough, so what do you do?

And I got my torque arm almost all the way done, but now I cant get the back end of it onto the rear end housing, it's freakin impossible! I slid the front end into the mount, and am trying to get the rear end onto the housing but no matter how I bend it and work it I can't get it on there. Anyone have a helpful trick or any advice on how to get it on there?
Old 10-25-2011, 07:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Ballinonabudget
Ok so I installed my energy suspension poly trans mount. I took the mount, put the plate on top (transmission side) have the ENS logo facing the rear of the car. I used the stock mount bolts to bolt it in place.

Now what do you do to bolt your crossmember back through the mount? My mount that came off had a built in bolt that came down through the crossmember, and the ENS mount just has a bolt hole in the middle. 2 bolts were supplied and aren't long enough, so what do you do?

And I got my torque arm almost all the way done, but now I cant get the back end of it onto the rear end housing, it's freakin impossible! I slid the front end into the mount, and am trying to get the rear end onto the housing but no matter how I bend it and work it I can't get it on there. Anyone have a helpful trick or any advice on how to get it on there?
Er, I forgot on the Trans mount. On the Torque Arm part, put a jack under your rear end and use it to rotate/lift/lower your rear end to the correct height/angle to get the T/A on. Use a rubber mallet and lithium grease. Good luck!
Old 10-25-2011, 10:51 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by themealonwheels
On the Torque Arm part, put a jack under your rear end and use it to rotate/lift/lower your rear end to the correct height/angle to get the T/A on. Use a rubber mallet and lithium grease. Good luck!
Agreed. I used some silicone spray and jacked the rear up/down until I got the angle right, and the TA slid right on.

As for the tranny mount, why not just get a bolt (proper grade of course) that's long enough to go through the tranny crossmember and engage the threads inside the mount? Then just torque the bolt down like you would the nut for the stock mount?
Old 10-25-2011, 02:47 PM
Banned

That was going to be my next step, but I wasn't sure if there was something else I could do. I'll just make a run to the hardware store Thanks for the help guys. The torque arm is a PITA I had to lower the trans to get the bracket out now I'm raising and lowering it trying to get the rear part mounted but it does make more sense to jack the rear.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:20 PM
Banned

Got the torque arm on, and got everything buttoned up, about to take it for a drive.

Is this how the trans mount really is? Metal on metal like that? With the metal plate topside and the bottom of the mount (being metal) touching the cross brace?
Old 11-03-2011, 09:59 PM
TECH Resident

I believe most people do not use the metal plate
Old 11-03-2011, 10:19 PM
Banned

What!?
Old 11-03-2011, 10:35 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

^^ True story. Most remove it from the ES piece. That's why I opted for the Prothane.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:17 PM
Banned

OH man I don't wanna go back in there.....

Why do guys remove the plate? What's the difference with or without it?
Old 11-05-2011, 07:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vjo90rs8
I believe most people do not use the metal plate
Correct....there were a number of discussions about this a couple years back.