Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

turbee or not turbee

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 10:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default turbee or not turbee

first off,the car is a ls1/4le60 swapped 240sx, running on a 3800 stall, 100 wet shot,4.10 gears and full weight (2900) other than that is all stock.

my goal is to get somewhere in the range of the 450whp and make it last,i know that i can make such a "low" hp figure on motor, but with far west texas weather and 3800 ft above the sea level,before i even notice im gonna be w/o 3k in my pocket and 450 hp or so and still unhappy

tunning and fabrication is already in mind,my plan is to use truck manifolds and ls1edit for tunning.turbowise im thinking in a turbonetics T72 or something in that range (i want to do a single turbo because of the space in the chasi)

also i want to keep it below 10 psi,just to be on the safe side,because i dont want to blow this thing ....yet..

is this plan seems to be complicated for such a low goal? i dont plan to use cheap parts, but im gonna try to do all the work myself so i can save some $$, i want the setup to be very responsive since i dont think i'll rev it over 6k,is this turbo ok, for that??

thanks
Old 10-25-2011, 10:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You could probably get away with a 67mm or 70mm turbo with only a 450rwhp goal. and with only a 6k redline, you'll probably need something with a small turbine housing to make sure its spooled up early. Other than that sounds like a good plan
Old 10-26-2011, 07:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With an automatic, a T72 would be more than enough, especially for that low 450rwhp in mind, but I would personally go with T76 so that you'll have more room to grow. I'm pretty sure that you're gonna want more than just 450 once you get there.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:29 PM
Staging Lane

thanks guys , i will keep it in mind,right now im looking for my new turbo
Old 10-28-2011, 09:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Turbee? Really?

You're going to use LS1edit? I'm not familliar with that software package, but do they have 2/3 bar operating systems like EFI Live and HPT? To "make it last" you'd want to have full control over your fueling.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Compressor Surge
Turbee? Really?

You're going to use LS1edit? I'm not familliar with that software package, but do they have 2/3 bar operating systems like EFI Live and HPT? To "make it last" you'd want to have full control over your fueling.

i plan to run low boost,so i think the stock map sensor should do ok(a have a speed density tune btw),i have played with turbos before, but it was with imports,so for this engine i just plan to take some timing out and build a solid fuel table....the bad think is that i have no experience with ls1edit, so i might have to ask a friend to tune the car for me, or maybe just take it to somebody else, we'll see later,the first thing is to get it running
Old 11-02-2011, 12:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by chejos13ls1
Turbee
Originally Posted by chejos13ls1
i have played with turbos before, but it was with imports
That explains it....lol.

I would stay away from LS1edit for tuning a turbo LS. I know a lot of guys who tune LS engines, myself included, and nobody uses Edit anymore...

EFI Live or HP Tuners is where you will find the most support, and the most control over a stock GM PCM

Quick Reply: turbee or not turbee