Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

New LUK Clutch, 'was' good. Now, Metal grinding/Clanking HELP

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 01:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation New LUK Clutch, 'was' good. Now, Metal grinding/Clanking HELP

Im on a Camaro SS - Just had the transmission rebuilt, and decided wth and did the clutch, MC Flywheel etc.

I drove about 250 city miles very carefully. Then started on a long trip from phoenix arizona, to Fort Hood texas (1060 miles).

500 miles in the drive, i come off the freeway, put in 3rd gear... As im decelerating, from about 3k down to around 2k RPM (35-45 MPH range i believe) I hear a metal Chattering or Grinding. THEN im like WTH, push the clutch pedal down, I STILL HEAR THE NOISE.

BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE!

I needed to get off the road. I put it in first - after i find out the clutch is making all noise... AND CAREFULLY accelerate to like 5 MPH, almost at IDLE i hear a THUNK. Loud, I felt it in the steering wheel and shifter ****. And the grinding chattering sound continues.

Here's another thing i've noticed... I turn the car on, Neutral, (clutch pedal up or down does not matter) Rev the engine up (1400 rpm seemed to make it hurt really bad) and i hear the grinding like crazy again. Reverse especially likes to make the THUNK noise.l n

*Still not 100% but maybe that GRINDING is just normal break i was hearing on the clutch. Only one way to find out and that is to hurry up and go get this **** going*

I driving back home on Leave with the army, i got tomorrow to get this fixed. So a quick response would be just AMAZING.

The clutch is on a warranty - So Maybe are there things i may want to know before i talk to this shop? IE things i can "NOT SAY" to them?

Last edited by Darylofpv602; 10-27-2011 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Shop did good and only charged 400 on labor, so i got a good deal getin heavy duty stuff on the luk gold clutch N stage 2tran
Old 10-26-2011, 10:23 AM
FormerVendor

I hate to say it but the more detail you provide the more it sounds like an issue within the transmission. All you can really do is take it down and take a look. I know you have limited time so this may have to wait until you get back. Either way, thanks for your service, may God bless you!
Old 10-26-2011, 12:04 PM
TECH Addict

hopefully it's just the clutch and they didn't forget to put a new pilot bearing in or something and ruin the trans

you may find something like this:

or a broken spring that's flapping around grinding the flywheel
Old 10-26-2011, 12:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

If they forgot to put the pilot bearing in the crank, after a few hundred miles the input shaft would be trashed. I have seen this and fixed these issues for someone before. It would probably have similar symptoms to what you are describing.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:13 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the input. I was able to prop the car onto a curb and squeeze underneath it, and its for sure coming from the transmission. ****. Well Maybe they installed the input shaft wrong, 1st and reverse give the same thump sound, It sounds like the gears are slapping each other, and the metal grinding/whining/grooose sound is probobly the gears just barly not slapping.

I can accelerate KIND OF smoothly in second gear, but still getting the chattering.

So I have decided, half way through my 1000 mile drive, to get a uhaul and trailer and take it back to the shop that worked on it. get it fixed, and then ill just get straight to my drive back to Ft Hood, TX - From Phx, AZ.

Been stranded 16 hours now, lucky theres a greyhound spot 3 mile walk from the car, wifi everywhere, and McDonalds. TOTALLY SURVIVABLE.

So it seems that getting the work done with a warranty may have been worth the trade off, Paying Labor VS Buying the Tools.

BTW - That clutch looks usable, put it back in

JK!
Old 10-27-2011, 10:02 AM
FormerVendor

A bad pilot or an issue with the input-shaft can certainly cause issues with proper function. Keep us posted and let us know what the cause actually is. Thanks!
Old 10-27-2011, 11:58 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Should have waited for the rebuild and done it with Jason at Texas Drivetrain Performance, it was on your way to ft. Hood... Good luck.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:14 PM
Teching In

Ok - Towed the truck to phoenix.
Decided, take a look at the trans, first thing i did was pop the driveshaft off the trans.
Gave it a little turn and ERRRRRRR same noise. Pop the cap on the diff, HAHA TOASTED!

Is it possible, before the transmission was rebuilt, that it may have damaged the rear axle? Because EVERY BIT of that diff is fucked. Before the transmission was rebuilt i was shifting with syncros that were worthless. Got good at finding the right rpm per gear per speed real quick.

Anyways I am sure this new (to me) car is worth the cost. As im sure most here would agree

So I think I'm gonna go get the 373 rear end, It had the 410 diff before, I doubt ill notice except maybe a slightly better fuel economy...

/solved
Old 10-28-2011, 09:48 AM
FormerVendor

Well, at least you know now and can address the issue. Good luck and let me know if you need anything else.

Quick Reply: New LUK Clutch, 'was' good. Now, Metal grinding/Clanking HELP