Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SES light help

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 01:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SES light help

Ok,

I've searched for three + days on here to try & fix my problem.

I just got the car & need it to pass emissions so that I can register it.

The SES light is on & is throwing P0410 & P0420 codes.

What I know:
P0410 - Secondary Air Injection System. I've checked the Air pump & it works when the car is first started. I've pulled the check valves & they seem to be working correctly (one was questionable). The lines do not seem to have a blockage.

What else should I check to resolve the P0410? Will that code cause me to fail emissions?

P0420 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1). Pretty sure that is the drivers side & its either the Cat has gone bad (unlikely) or that the O2 sensors are deteriorating. I'm planning on replacing the O2 sensors, or is that a waste of money? If I'm planning on getting a tune eventually (6+months) should I spend the money for Wide Band O2s now or wait till I'm actually going to get it tuned?

As far as tuning goes, I looked at getting a hand tuner to just disable the codes, but it sounds like the EPA cracked down on the handheld manufactures & now they don't give you the option to kill the emission codes...Is this true? Is there any brand that does allow you to disable them?

If the O2 sensor replacement doesn't get rid of the code, then what else would the P0420 be?

Thanks for any help

-Kodak (total newb!)
Old 10-26-2011, 09:52 PM
TECH Resident

if the 02s are going bad, replace them. find the equivalent part number at advance, LEAVE the advance store, go online to advance.com and use promo code A123. That will save you some dough on those 02s.

As far as the secondary air injections system....if you have or can find a tuner, get them to just remove all those codes for the air injection.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:36 PM

thanks Killa,

FWIW, the O2s ended up being ok. To fix the issue I just had to replace the check valves on the Air system. As soon as I find a tuner, that whole monstrocity & its associated PCM codes are out!
Old 11-02-2011, 02:59 PM
TECH Resident

what is your location we have members with tuner software all cross america that can help you out
Old 11-05-2011, 02:01 AM

tsench,

I'm in Las Vegas....I figure there would be a few members here, but didn't know how to go about contacting them.