Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Manual steering?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 02:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Manual steering?

Anyone run manual steering on the street or as a DD? wondering how the ratio would effect correcting when the rear end comes out. or drifting. Is it a huge difference? Been very curious about it.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to say don't do it on a DD. Our cars are too heavy for no power steering. It's sounds good in theory but you will kick yourself.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:29 AM
TECH Regular

I love my manual rack. It has a higher gear ratio than the stock power steering, so it's easier to turn than a disconnected power rack. 99% of the time I don't even notice I don't have power steering. If you're moving over 5mph that momentum of the car reduce the effort required to turn the wheel. But believe me, if you better have your big boy shorts on when you go to park.

To answer your question, I've kicked the ***-end out a few times and I am still able to keep the car under control...it just takes some getting used to.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:47 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

We generally don't recommend the manual steering setups for guys that DD or drive there cars on the street a lot. Even though we don't recommend it we still have a considerable amount of customer who do DD and drive their cars quite a bit with our manual steering setups. Generally the only time it really sucks is low speed and parking situations. Also the bigger tire you hvae on the front of the car the more effort it is going to take so if you are running skinnies on the front it will be much easier than running stock-sized tires.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 10-26-2011, 10:52 AM
On The Tree

My car would be a street strip car. i want the car down to 3200 lbs with me in it. it'd have skinnies up front as well.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:28 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

a manual rack is a pretty good start to some weight savings, and is not that bad to drive. As stated before I wouldn't do it on a DD car, but if your car is street/strip and mainly a weekend fun car then it will be just fine.

We offer a full bolt-in(no brackets to weld) manual rack conversion with a real Flaming River Pinto rack for 550.00 and includes all the necessary components and a high quality sealed needle bearing joint steering shaft.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:34 PM
On The Tree

Just worried about like getting side ways and having the ratio affect it or drifting a little bit when in street trim and having the manual steering being a pain in the ***. you know?
Old 10-26-2011, 04:17 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

That is a hard one to answer considering one might be able to correct themselves in that situation better over others.

Now I have had manual racks on many cars that I DD and it didn't bother me much but what doesn't bother some might bother others.

Like SSvert mentioned it is great weight savings for a street strip application vehicle.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drove my car for about 6 months without power steering (stock rack mind you)

It definitely was an arm strengthening experience. I loved it once the vehicle was moving however, much more "connected" feeling. When it comes to slip-correction I found it to be the same or easier than when it had power steering. If you time it right it is totally weightless in your hands to maintain a perfect wheel angle during a slide. Over-correcting can get you into a trouble in a hurry though as it becomes harder than normal to fix that over-correction due to weight transfer and the angle of the tire.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Can one of you Midwest Chassis guys post some pics of the manual rack bolt-on set up your talking about?
Old 10-27-2011, 10:33 AM
11 Second Club

pre-install. . .

mid-install. . .

Name:  DSCF0506.jpg
Views: 4427
Size:  129.2 KB

installed. . .

Name:  DSCF0512.jpg
Views: 3046
Size:  210.6 KB

This one needed a tab welded to my k-member... literally 5 minutes of prep and weld time. Cost me a case of Diet Pepsi. . .
Old 10-27-2011, 11:56 AM
On The Tree

So if needed i can drift with manual steering? cause seeing both heads is awsome=]
Old 10-27-2011, 05:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So just to clarify the Midwest man. rack comes as a true bolt on with everything needed for install including steering shaft? Trying to decide between this one and the Burkhart Chassis man. rack. Not much difference but about 50 dollars in price but thats shipping
Old 10-28-2011, 01:12 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes... that is correct. We have two different designs depending on how much header clearance you have at the steering shatf interference point. The mount is made of
lightweight chromemoly tube, and powdercoated for a nice finish. It is a true bolt-in component that doesn't have pieces welded to the rack or require welding a mount to the k-member.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Do you have any pics you can send me of both versions so I can what Im working with? Thanks for all the info
Old 10-28-2011, 10:44 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

I am out of the office today but once I get back in I will see if I can dig some up.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:35 PM
10 Second Club

Would it be possible to buy a powersteering kmember now then add the manuel steerig conversion later?
Old 11-01-2011, 05:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

I put one in cause my power rack was leaking bad.

I have a couple front suspension issues to pan out. I think I have a bad ball joint and I need a better alignment and new tires. The first alignment sucked and then I lowered the front an inch recently. + need to dial in bumpsteer

Even with my suspension issues its not that bad though. Plus I usually always park in the back of parking lots anyways Id rather have a perfectly working powersteering system, but the jury is still out. Never needing power steering fluid and less stuff in your engine bay is a huge plus though!

I'm still not used to countersteering with it though. I used to be sick with the powersteering in. Its just going to take time to readjust.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:02 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by phatasp
Would it be possible to buy a powersteering kmember now then add the manuel steerig conversion later?
We build a manual steering rack kit that allows you to bolts it to any k-member designed to be use with the factory power steering rack. Our manual steering kits come with everything needed to bolt them up and is a true bolt on kit. Here is a link to the manual steering kit for power steering k-members, in the description it says only for stock k-members but it is designed to work with any k-member with factory steering mounts.

Manual rack kit (RK002)

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 11-02-2011, 11:04 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by phatasp
Yes it would, ours is set up for either direction. You can buy our K-Member now and use the stock rack and add our rack later or you can purchase our rack now and add the K-Member later. The same goes for all our suspension items.

Our bolt in manual rack conversion which uses a Flaming River rack is $550 plus shipping. I couldn't find any pictures of it at this time but will get some taken, it is also key to check what kind of rack you get with other kits on the market.

Quick Reply: Manual steering?