Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Ball bearing or journal bearing? is it really worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 07:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ball bearing or journal bearing? is it really worth it?

I am ordering the new PT6766 CEA turbos and was wondering if ball bearing is worth it? do they really spool up faster and how much faster? do they last longer then journals? its $900 each turbo so thats $1800 total just to upgrade to ball bearing. any info would help

Last edited by jeremym; 10-26-2011 at 07:46 AM.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:22 AM
Staging Lane

Ball bearings do increase response by about 15%. If this is enough to justify the extra cost, as it applies to your application, then I say go for it.

Honestly if you want to increase the performance of a journal bearing turbo there are many application processes out there that can be inexpensively employed. A few that come to mind are Cryo, REM and dry film lubricating. Albeit they won't increase response as much as ball bearings, you will notice an increase in performance and longevity to some degree.

Don't forget that you can also play around with turbine trims and housings to try and match the performance of an equally sized ball bearing turbo as well. Of course it'll be a "give-take" relationship, all of which wouldn't bother me one bit on a street machine.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bmech211
Ball bearings do increase response by about 15%. If this is enough to justify the extra cost, as it applies to your application, then I say go for it.

Honestly if you want to increase the performance of a journal bearing turbo there are many application processes out there that can be inexpensively employed. A few that come to mind are Cryo, REM and dry film lubricating. Albeit they won't increase response as much as ball bearings, you will notice an increase in performance and longevity to some degree.

Don't forget that you can also play around with turbine trims and housings to try and match the performance of an equally sized ball bearing turbo as well. Of course it'll be a "give-take" relationship, all of which wouldn't bother me one bit on a street machine.
thanks. Precision told me to do PT6766's using a .68 a/r if i used journal and a .81 a/r if i used ball bearing. might just do .68 with ball bearing. talk about spool up time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the reason why i am changing my turbo set up is i want to spool up about 1500-2000 RPM earlier and faster.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:23 AM
TECH Regular

The only way I could justify having ball bearings is if I was on a extreme race circuit or trying to beat records. But for example drag racing you can get anything spooled up on the line so ball bearing wouldn't matter much. Then road racing ball bearings might be the different of spooling up and passing a guy out of a corner.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:37 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Depends on how deep your pockets are really, but I personally would just go with journal bearing. Precision's new design wheels spool so quick anyways.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For what its worth Rob at modular spec'd mine and did just what you are considering. Mine are the .68 ar and ball bearing. My car being a 6 speed I wanted to lose as little spool as possible between shifts.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

does anybody have any dyno test to see how much faster the ball bearing spool up?
Old 10-27-2011, 06:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

how much faster do yall think the PT6766 Billet wheel CEA ball bearing turbo will spool vs the TC7068 cast wheel journal bearing both using .81 a/r housings? how much faster would the .68 a/r spool vs the .81 a/r? i am wanting to spool at least 1500 RPM faster.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

you're still going to lose to me. just sayin'

Quick Reply: Ball bearing or journal bearing? is it really worth it?