Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulley install and Auto Trans

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 01:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulley install and Auto Trans

How do you lock the trans on the auto so the crank won't turn? I have looked for that tool that locks the flexplate but i can't find anyone that actually knows where to get one.
Old 03-11-2004, 06:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 42NightZ28
How do you lock the trans on the auto so the crank won't turn? I have looked for that tool that locks the flexplate but i can't find anyone that actually knows where to get one.

Drop the starter which isn't hard at all. There will be a black plastic piece that has one bolt holding it up. You'll see it after the starter comes off. After you get that plastic piece off, you'll see the flexplate. Keep turning the crank until you see a small hole. Then just wedge it with sticking a screw driver through that hole.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-11-2004, 12:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 42NightZ28
For the LS1 engine, the tool is made by Kent Moore (SPX Service Solutions,). You cannot get the tool through a GM dealer, however it is a OEM tool made for GM. It does cost about $60 but it is a good investment because it engages 5 teeth on the flywhee and you do not have to worry about chipping or any other kind of damage you could cause to the flywheel if you use a screwdriver (it would be bad news and very expensive if you did mess up the flywheel). Anyhow, the tool part number is J-42386-A (Flywheel Holder-Casting). Using this tool makes it very easy to change the pulley (one person can easilyl do it since you don't have to have somebody jamming a screw driver into the flywheel while the other works on the crank pulley). Good Luck and if you do decide to use a screwdriver be careful (us with automatics do have it a little harder when it comes to the pulley).

Last edited by CamaroCain; 03-13-2004 at 09:16 PM. Reason: non sponsor contact info
Old 03-11-2004, 03:05 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by rampcoSS
For the LS1 engine, the tool is made by Kent Moore (SPX Service Solutions, 1-800-345-2233). You cannot get the tool through a GM dealer, however it is a OEM tool made for GM. It does cost about $60 but it is a good investment because it engages 5 teeth on the flywhee and you do not have to worry about chipping or any other kind of damage you could cause to the flywheel if you use a screwdriver (it would be bad news and very expensive if you did mess up the flywheel). Anyhow, the tool part number is J-42386-A (Flywheel Holder-Casting). Using this tool makes it very easy to change the pulley (one person can easilyl do it since you don't have to have somebody jamming a screw driver into the flywheel while the other works on the crank pulley). Good Luck and if you do decide to use a screwdriver be careful (us with automatics do have it a little harder when it comes to the pulley).
Thanks for that info on the tool, I always wanted to know where I could pick one up, seen shops use it and it's a nice piece for sure.

As far as holdig the flexplate with a screw driver or pry bar, the easiest way is to pop off the little round silver plate on the drivers side and access it there. The plate just snaps back in when finished. I do it this way, but i'd rather have the correct tool that you use that mounts up in place of the starter like mentioned before...

Dan
Old 03-11-2004, 04:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Screwdriver!!!
Old 03-11-2004, 06:21 PM
11 Second Club

I hope the reg.posters do not get tired of this as IT IS POSTED 2-3 TIMES A WEEK and I still think TOOL works great and only takes my son 5 min to make.
hope it helps,Johnny
REmove the small 2 in round plug on bottom of bellhouseing insert a BIg screw driver or pry bar into the teeth of fly wheel ( you will need a freind to help) may need to insert one behind the flap behind the starter also >>>( NO need to remove the starter) OR you may order the special tool from GM which will bolt to block which will hold the fly wheel
get a big peice of pipe to use as cheater on on ratchet or breaker bar ( some say bind bar and bump starter to loose crank bolt ( I WOULD NEVER DO THIS )
Will need a 3 leg puller that will pull from the inside ( never from outside ) of stock pulley (may rent from local past supplier )
when ready to re install I get two new crank bolts from dealer and weld a 5/8 x 4 in bolt to head of one ,
( will need to grind down the washer on stock bolt so that it will fit threw the pulley) screw the welded crank bolt in to crank slide a socket( one that will just fit inside the pulley- to use as a guide to start pulley stright ) over the welded 5/8 bolt ,use this to pull the puller back on this way you are not puting much strain on the threads inside the crank
Lubricate and mount the ASP pulley onto the snout. You should be able to press it on just far enuff to allow the STOCK crank bolt to begin threading. Once it is threaded, tighten it to 240 ft. lbs. or until it is completely seated on the crank snout. Afterwards, REMOVE THE STOCK BOLT and replace it with the NEW CRANK BOLT. You will tighten the NEW bolt to 37 ft. lbs. and then turn it an additonal 120 degrees.
hope this helps Johnny
ps:: I install a new seal any time I remove a pulley($10.00 and 10 minutes now is better than haveing a leak and haveing to remve pulley again

>>>>>>> make a tool to hold flywheel
hope the drawing of tool is understandable
use a 1/8 x 2 flat bar about 12 in long insert into flywheel threw the round hole in botton of bellhouseing ,the notch in side will hold tool in place
PS: THE DRAWING DOES NOT SHOW UP CORRECT ,it should be about 2 in wide all the way down

/\/\/\/\
|...... |
|...... |
|..... <
|...... |
|...... |
|...... |

PS:may be the wrong place to post this,. I suppose my son could make some and ship ( within the 48's ) for about 23.50

Sorry MODS as I am not a spons here this will not fly, may I restate that the tool is free for the asking if 23.50 is sent for shipping and handling ??
EVERY one forget all the above and PM if I may help u

Last edited by SS SLP2; 03-11-2004 at 06:48 PM.