Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top end knock 98 LS1

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 01:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top end knock 98 LS1

Car only knock at 2.5k+, knock goes up with rpms. I pulled the driver side valve cover and had 2 broken rocker arms, replaced them and checked the push rods but they aren't bent.. What do? Knock still exists and is coming from the top end.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Got a video of the sound it's making? My car has a lot of knocking/clicking/ticking from the top end. I just ignore it. Sounds like yours is probably worse if you're finding broken components.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:09 PM
On The Tree

I'm having a similar issue with my truck right now but I'm coming to the conclusion that i have an oil pump or oil pump o ring failure that is causing not enough oil to flow into the valvetrain (20 psi) and it's real jittery at that.

is the oil gauge bouncing around by chance?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ed-lifter.html
Old 10-26-2011, 03:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TheGreat4.8
I'm having a similar issue with my truck right now but I'm coming to the conclusion that i have an oil pump or oil pump o ring failure that is causing not enough oil to flow into the valvetrain (20 psi) and it's real jittery at that.

is the oil gauge bouncing around by chance?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ed-lifter.html
Kinda the same here, good oil pressure until warm. Loud knock when revved above 2.5, can obviously tell its coming from under the intake and not from under the car.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a wierd noise from my car after a session of spirited driving, turns out it was a stuck lifter. Is the noise a fast noise or a slow one. According to my mechanic a fast noise indicates top end, rocker,lifter,rocker arm. Slow could be a bearing or wrist pin. Try pulling a spark plug wire at a time to see if you can isolate the sound. If it goes away when the power is killed on the cylinder then you can isolate the problem with minimal tear down. Good luck!!!
Old 10-26-2011, 04:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by fatmat80
I had a wierd noise from my car after a session of spirited driving, turns out it was a stuck lifter. Is the noise a fast noise or a slow one. According to my mechanic a fast noise indicates top end, rocker,lifter,rocker arm. Slow could be a bearing or wrist pin. Try pulling a spark plug wire at a time to see if you can isolate the sound. If it goes away when the power is killed on the cylinder then you can isolate the problem with minimal tear down. Good luck!!!
It's pretty fast knock. I'd upload a video, but I have the valve covers off. I guess I'll be pulling the intake now. I hope you are correct. Thanks!
Old 10-27-2011, 11:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If all you have is the valve cover off try my meathod.. worst case scenario you have to repull the valve cover..Can hurt..

Quick Reply: Top end knock 98 LS1