Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

C5 Throw Out Bearing

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 02:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 Throw Out Bearing

I know this must of been asked before but I am mocking up the drive train & picked up a new slave cylinder and I need to know 2 things, First one is I checked the Helms manual & it tells you nothing in regards to if there is suppose to be clearance between throw out bearing & pressure plate fingers or does the throwout bearing ride continually on the pressure plate, I installed new slave cylinder & throwout bearing in torque tube & when bolted back up the bearing is sitting against fingers, I thought I read some where here there was suppose to be clearance ? The second question is what size bolts hold the slave into torque tube on a C5, I tried 6mm & they go right in but feel sloppy, I also tried 1/4 20 & 1/4 28 neither will go in, 7mm are hard to find & gm book shows no 7mm used, Are the 6mm the right bolts & why so sloppy, The threads are perfect in tube ?? Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks Perk
Old 10-29-2011, 12:28 AM
Teching In

Will throw out bearing pull back off fingers once you bleed it & I still need to know what size bolts hold the slave in place ?? There has to be somebody who has worked on a C5 with a torque tube out there ??
Perk
Old 10-29-2011, 10:20 AM
TDP
FormerVendor

That is perfectly normal. It is pressed down by the PP fingers when installed. With the slave/TOB off, you can press it down all the way to the bottom of it's travel. If you measure this height, then measure the depth of the PP fingers, then there will be a gap. I've found the stock gap it around 1/4in. When you press in the pedal, the slave will move the TOB into it's fully extended height, which in turn pushes the PP fingers in, releasing the disc.
The bolts are 6mm x 1.0 thread pitch. If they are loose and wallered out, just re-tap them to 1/4in x 20 and put in t=some new bolts. 1/4in is actually 6.35mm and the thread pitch is more course so it will easily tap into the 6mmx1.0 hole(s).
Old 10-29-2011, 07:43 PM
Teching In

Thank you much !!! I see Tic sells spacers, Is there any perfact gap it is suppose to be set at, a whole lot of work to bleed it with the torque tube in & then have to pull it all down again To set a gap ?
Perk
Old 10-30-2011, 11:15 AM
TDP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Perk
Thank you much !!! I see Tic sells spacers, Is there any perfact gap it is suppose to be set at, a whole lot of work to bleed it with the torque tube in & then have to pull it all down again To set a gap ?
Perk
It won't hurt anything to cut the gap in half. If anything, it will give you a slightly better pedal. I have shims in stock. They are water-jet cut out of T6 aluminum so they are real clean looking. I can do a 0.123" one for $9.00 shipped via USPS. However, just to be sure, it's always best to measure for yourself. I wouldn't recommend going under .100in-.120in for the gap.
Also it would be a good idea to install a remote bleeder line, since it's impossible to bleed the slave on Vettes with everything installed. If you want to buy the shim from me, just make it $50 shipped for the line & the shim together.

Quick Reply: C5 Throw Out Bearing